IMO KillCam killing the Game - Page 20 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yes... it's that important!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-02, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #286
WaryWizard
Sergeant

Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Killcam is benefit. It helps you against others (know they location, learn etc). And as such you should pay for it. Make it you need implant for it (first 5 BR its free).
I agree with this. to a point.Make the Newberts pay for a flawed mechanism they will hate.~evil

There will still be suicide scouts (SS) running around getting intel, but now they will need money to get this ability.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #287
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
This would also be fine for me, but technically I imagine it being less feasible (but if not, then great). Though there are still people who'd dislike having others see their clever hiding locations.
Given how kill-cams usually work in games, I doubt it will be a big deal.

Just give them a good expiry and limit people based on how many deaths they're allowed to store.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #288
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This has obviously been a very controversial topic for some of you. We want you to know we are of course reading through all this feedback.

If I could delve further though, are there restrictions that would make the kill cam bearable for those who are very against it?
I think it was this thread that someone suggested that killcam should be on until say BR10.I'm not sure how BR will work in PS2 but something along those lines would be nice.If not turned off make it a option in the settings at that rank.So if I have killcam off it shows the person I just killed the background from where they were killed at or the base closest to them.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #289
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

This has obviously been a very controversial topic for some of you. We want you to know we are of course reading through all this feedback.

If I could delve further though, are there restrictions that would make the kill cam bearable for those who are very against it?
To make the Killcam more bearable, I would first and foremost like it to be acknowledged that there are two distinct uses for killcams from a player perspective.

First, It is used simply as a way for individual players who heavily stress K/D ratios to moan and complain about how Bull**** that last kill was, and how the game is broken without repair or suggestion.

Secondly, it is used by tactical minds to gather information surrounding the area of death to avoid near future deaths, and to "meta-game" - i.e. obtain and use information that they might not normally be able to gain through regular means (read, having not died) to gain an advantage.

To correct this problem, I would suggest this. A simple two option toggle in game. Each player has the option to turn off or on the ability to VIEW their own deaths, as well as the option to have others view their kills.

This makes everyone as happy as possible in this situation. Those that like to know will occasionally be allowed to see their deaths , but only by those who don't care if they are seen. I do recognize the fact that others might be affected by another players indifference, but in a unfair world, sometimes we need to compromise.

A second suggestion, though I like this one less, is to have a view station available in all bases to empires who currently control bio labs. Use of the terminal costs resources to view your most recent death. Thematically this would be cool, as it could be like the NS machinery recording your last iterations final seconds. The more resources you spend, the more you can see --- Name of player, visible radius surrounding the scene of death, Number of shots it took to die, the accuracy of the shooter.... This creates another resource drain, satisfies the first type of player who uses kill cams to b****, and also allows the second type of player to do what they like - analyze data.

Just my block thoughts.

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-02-02 at 01:34 AM.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #290
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by RodenyC View Post
I think it was this thread that someone suggested that killcam should be on until say BR10.I'm not sure how BR will work in PS2 but something along those lines would be nice.If not turned off make it a option in the settings at that rank.So if I have killcam off it shows the person I just killed the background from where they were killed at or the base closest to them.
Originally Posted by CidHighwind View Post
To correct this problem, I would suggest this. A simple two option toggle in game. Each player has the option to turn off or on the ability to VIEW their own deaths, as well as the option to have others view their kills.
If its optional it serves no purpose. Even people who do not think it gives enough advantage to worry about still recognize it gives some, and given the choice would turn it off because there is no downside.

Saying make it optional is exactly the same as saying don't have it at all. The only way to make it optional in practice is to require you sacrifice for turning it off. Or on, depending how they want to play it. Though I seriously can't imagine anyone thinks a killcam would be enough benefit to sacrifice a slot to be able to access them.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-02-02 at 01:38 AM.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #291
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Half serious, half not:

How about an engineering deployable (high in the tree) that would allow kill cams within a certain radius (call it a Nanite-recorder?). Would force an engineer to get close enough to that Gal to plant the device, meaning they would need to know where that Gal was in the first place, and would give engineers a stealthy aspect?

Get enough tactically minded engineers together, and it would create logistical efforts to triangulate enemy positions using the device(s).

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-02-02 at 01:46 AM.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #292
Haurus
Private

I feel like the kill cam will get old quick. In it's day, I sometimes played PS1 for up to 6 hours at a time, having a blast. That's much longer than I ever played any other fps in one session. The extended play time plus the potential to die a lot because of the number of players can result in the kill can getting annoying. I start hitting buttons when the BF3 kill cam comes on fruitlessly trying to skip it. I just don't care and it gives the impression that it is wasting my time.

I never play sniper but I can see it being a pain for them. A sniper can find a great nest and the first guy he takes out calls in his position over com and he is reaver fodder.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #293
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I have no issues with someone seeing how I killed them, so a way to not force me to watch a kill cam when I die would be perfect. Maybe a option in the game settings, maybe a skill.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #294
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
With a game that has as many players as Planetside 2 will.

The odds of you killing someone and the following happens:
They see your killcam/position
They wait to respawn (most likely not exactly at the same spot they died)
They find you (how this happens again is beyond me, enough time has passed that I guarantee you're not in the same position anymore where the player first saw you on the killcam)
That same person kills you because they saw your killcam.

All that happens before you die yourself, or they die again.

The server pop must be incredibly low.

Also, if I die and I see a killcam of 1 guy but the reason I died is because it was a huge 20v20 infantry standoff I don't see how the killcam ruins the game?

For the snipers, I love kill cams if I'm a sniper. I can kill a guy, then go and find a new spot. That guy sees my kill cam and tries to find me at the same spot and I kill him again because I moved 20 yards. Rinse Repeat.

In My Opinion the origin of the killcam into fps games was to get rid of campers (nobody liked campers in the old fps days). Now designers use it to help them flesh out hackers, help new players, and give insight to an experienced player as to why he died. It's not there to break immersion and mess up the guy who's getting the kills.

For the record I'm not in charge of what happens when it comes to killcam, I'm just throwing in my perspective as a player/lover of fps games. I'm for the killcam, but that's just me.
Kill cams make death satisfying and while players moaning about it will still stick around, players who hate dying will leave if it doesn't have it in. COD has proven over the years that people love them and TF2 has only cemented this as they're a great laugh. I'd love to be able to take a picture of my rival killing me and having banter on the forums.

Besides if you're going to camp then you deserve to be killed and like you said I don't ever remember a time in Planetside where I stayed in one place for very long. Advance players will always remember the points where people tend to stick in and defend kill cams wont hurt that.
Old 2012-02-02, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #295
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Haurus View Post
I feel like the kill cam will get old quick. In it's day, I sometimes played PS1 for up to 6 hours at a time, having a blast. That's much longer than I ever played any other fps in one session. The extended play time plus the potential to die a lot because of the number of players can result in the kill can getting annoying. I start hitting buttons when the BF3 kill cam comes on fruitlessly trying to skip it. I just don't care and it gives the impression that it is wasting my time.

I never play sniper but I can see it being a pain for them. A sniper can find a great nest and the first guy he takes out calls in his position over com and he is reaver fodder.
This, I feel at the very least it needs to be skippable, and another thing at the very least for the cloakers sake is to disable kill cam if killer had cloak enabled (shouldnt be too hard to do?). Cos the snipers are known to have cloaks (although weaker) too.

Other thing was brought up was that what if someone dies to a mine that an engi put down long ago, would the killcam jump all the way to the engi at the current time where he might be fe. organizing a gal drop?

I also like the idea of being able to just disable it - you wont see where your killers are, they wont see where you are when you kill them. A fair tradeoff.

And yes, I can really 1 to the "fruitless smashing of buttons after a while of BF3 trying to skip the killcam". Worst is when you try to quit the game but the killcam overrides any menu and forces you to watch it.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-02, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #296
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Haurus View Post

Never got bored of them in TF2, especially with all the emotes.

Unlike BF3 the battle will be constantly changing over a dynamic map and not a small BF3 one.
Old 2012-02-02, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #297
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Killcams only available when an empire controls an interlink facility.
Old 2012-02-02, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #298
Princess Frosty
Corporal

Absolutely not, why should the person dying be given intel on how they died? That's going to ruin sniping, it's going to ruin infiltrating.

PC game fix database - http://www.pcgamingstandards.com
Old 2012-02-02, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #299
Figment
Lieutenant General

@radarx: Something akin to the original post-mortem cam in PS would be okay with all I think: we all know its limitations.

If there is one, evaluate what you can derive in Intel and keep that as limited as possible.

A version I could easily live with is an implant for the guy who died. I'd prefer it to be a post deathcam looking in the direction of the kill on the horizontal and slowly panning/rotating randomly in the general direction for just a few seconds without zooming in, then returning to bodycam. Should give an idea, but no specifics about exact spot and height, nothing you could not see had you looked in that direction.

I would consider this a form of recon implant. Since you give up another combat advantage for that life, it'd be fair as you'd use the info the next life while you still have to spot by yourself.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-02-02 at 02:57 AM.
Old 2012-02-02, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #300
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I would consider this a form of recon implant. Since you give up another combat advantage for that life, it'd be fair as you'd use the info the next life while you still have to spot by yourself.
Considering the great majority of the time it will be pretty apparent who and what you died from, I can't imagine anyone sacrificing an implant slot to get a view of the rare death that came from unknown source.

Its not very good intel.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion