Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 21 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #301
Glavius
Private

Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

As a current player of APB (from beta) and APB:Reloaded (from key to the city) which does suffer from hackers I'd like to chime in.

A hacker in a 1 on 1 will typically kill you. They do have an advantage - most assuredly on aim, probably on being able to see you through walls, and on the lack of recoil. But I've been watching game play of Planetside 2 and it looks like the time to kill in this game is pretty high. So just remember stick with your buddies. Planetside 2 is about huge battles as long as you're not alone a hacker no matter how perfect their aim will be less successful the better you stick with your group.

Obvious stuff but it works in APB and it'll work in Planetside 2.

It is impossible to stop a determined player who wants to cheat. Yes, they will roll a new account the moment they get banned. Yes, they'll ruin your night sometimes. I'm not going to lie to you but if you play with a group of players frequently, and, stick with them you'll learn to take them on and effectively stop them.

Last edited by Glavius; 2012-07-18 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Snapman5000 Joker East
Old 2012-07-18, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #302
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Is there really anybody here who wouldn't pay forty bucks for the client?
Old 2012-07-18, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #303
Glavius
Private

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
Is there really anybody here who wouldn't pay forty bucks for the client?
I would not pay for planetside2 not because it won't be a good game but because I enjoy APB Reloaded so I'd just stick to that. A lot of people I know in that game make the same set of comments about Planetside 2 when I bring it up... Typically goes like this
Me: Have you heard of planetside 2?
them: yeah, wont be playing it though
Me: Why?
them: Don't want to pay for it
Me: it's free to play
them: really? then I'll try it.

Seriously I have that conversation at least once a day with people in the APB community.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #304
GODMOLLY
Private

Originally Posted by GODJOEY View Post
Back in the day it took a 13 year old to take down sony's security for 3 days and we paid for it. Imagine what it can be like with free to play? They may have their hands full with subscriber hack sites looking to cash in.
Exactly, imagine what that 13 year old could do now 10 years later?

Punkbuster is not the best anti-cheat out there, the best bet is to NOT tell the community what they are doing, implement in game reporting, and only tell the community that they have ample "ghost admins" to curb people from cheating, not stop. Face it, people troll and love pissing people off and accounts will be disposable and they wont care if they get banned. Implementing PB can in theory take down whole Planetside servers for a span of time if an attacker with brains actually knows what they are doing.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #305
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

the sad realization...

the moment you realize how many hackers are playing FPS games...

During my time waiting for PS2 I have been honing my FPS skills via BF3, this is the first time in a few months I got back onto BF3 my battlelog: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...veliltoasterX/

now since I have started back up on BF3 I have been playing some operation metro and during the game I'll admit I am still rusty and there are players much better than I, but I noticed something... the ADMIN would pop up in chat it seems every 15 mins and it would say "VIOLATION (MULTIHACK) #71193: xPinks (slot #29) Violation (MULTIHACK) #71193" This is a little concerning because BF3 is a game you have to shell out $$$ to buy and it seems to me like a huge waste. Now PS2 is going to be F2P so I really really REALLY hope that the game is unhackable because if its not then the moderators/GM will be overwhelmed I can guarantee it. Not to mention all the subtle hackers that might just give them an edge but can slip under the radar.

It's sad that the PC gaming community has such an abundance of hacking ass holes

and if SoE goes down the road of PB I will face palm myself so hard it will give me cancer.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #306
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: the sad realization...

and if SoE goes down the road of PB I will face palm myself so hard it will give me cancer.
Let's hope it's the curable kind, 'cuz they're using PB...

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #307
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

That's the reason why I didn't buy BF3. My BF2 experience consisted of 2 minutes of game play followed by being booted off the server cause of punk buster. And then when PB was finally fixed, 10 minutes of game play followed by being booted off the servers cause of admin abuse.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #308
elementHTTP
Sergeant

But imagine 2000 kill streak
Old 2012-07-20, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #309
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

In B4 obligitory "no 1 hacks in FPs gaems, u jus bad!" post.

One of the major things they are doing is having paid moderators patrolling the game, which in itself is quite a deterrent to hackers knowing that there isn't a system they can simply fool.

At the very least it will force them to use their aimbots more sparingly to be less obvious.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #310
braydog
Private

No1 Hax in fps games u jus bad!

Hey, you said it was obligatory. Ahem, anyway, I heard them say (wish I had source) that they'll be actively looking for people boosting via illigetamate means. Probably hackers included there.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #311
Elude
First Sergeant

Hackers are nasty but they hardly put a dent in the success and potential enjoyment of a game.

If PS2 goes down it won't be because they used PB.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #312
braydog
Private

Also, what is pb???
Old 2012-07-20, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #313
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kriegson View Post
In B4 obligitory "no 1 hacks in FPs gaems, u jus bad!" post.

One of the major things they are doing is having paid moderators patrolling the game, which in itself is quite a deterrent to hackers knowing that there isn't a system they can simply fool.

At the very least it will force them to use their aimbots more sparingly to be less obvious.
*thumbs up*
Old 2012-07-20, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #314
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by braydog View Post
Also, what is pb???
PunkBuster its anti hacking software
Old 2012-07-20, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #315
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

I like my PB with J.

Last edited by Slide Surveyor; 2012-07-20 at 07:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion