News: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team - Page 22 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you understand the words comin outta my mouf?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-24, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #316
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team

Hopefully there was a no bunny hopping clause in his contract.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-24, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #317
jepaul
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
Not so sure about that, he's all for bunny hopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6aCOR75am0&feature=plcp

HAHAHA, love this video. I love how he talks about skill ceiling. That CS is a 13 year game because the skill ceiling is so high. Let's not forget, Sony is making this game to make money. The business model is set. Fast, guns, movement. Time to re up a lot of subs on PS for some of you guys it seems. I don't really ever hear PS vets talk about being great FPS players. All i ever here about is how organized they were. The handing writing is on the wall here. Time for organized talent.

But, please continue the bitching and moaning here and I'm sure Sony will change their entire business model a few months before release and go back to the drawing board.

Fire away.
Old 2012-06-24, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #318
Fek
Private

Originally Posted by WiFiN View Post
In my opinion CS and CSS was crap in regards of weapon mechanics, starting from the RayTrace "ballistics"(frankly, abscence of those) handling and ending with ingame superiority based on exploit usage (bunny-hopping, fast reloads, e.t.c.) instead of tactics and teamplay.
CS is universally regarded as one of the greatest tactical team based shooters of all time (maybe XBOX kiddies and those too close-minded to recognise quality in any game except those they play disagree).

All the greatest FPS games have had both a high personal skill ceiling and team skill ceiling. If the original PS1 devs had taken inspiration from the gunplay of games around at the time then I reckon it would still be seriously popular today.

Last edited by Fek; 2012-06-24 at 11:06 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #319
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
Well maybe he thinks weapons feel best when they are flying through the air in random directions?

You ever think about that, HUH?
Go eat some food. Your blood sugar is low or something, because you're incredibly cranky for no real reason.

Maybe he thinks weapons feel best when they are flying through the air in random directions. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he'd like it if the game was instanced and max of 32 people. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he's part of the lizardpeople conspiracy that is now branching into video games to try and make sure all of them have subliminal messages!

Maybe you should actually realize that hiring one guy doesn't mean that the game will completely change. It's not like Higby, T-Ray, and everyone else we've been praising on the dev team for their openness is suddenly less valuable, and it's not like they'll suddenly start ignoring the community.

Also, if you read what he actually said, he doesn't want to turn this into CS. Why do you want to hate him so badly?

Originally Posted by raykor View Post
So I guess I’ll just add this to the growing list of changes being made to my favorite video game (of all time and across all genres) that are starting to make me believe that this sequel is just not for me.
They hired one guy! That's all they've done! At least wait till we see some updated gameplay footage or beta before we start going all pitchforks and torches, good god.

Last edited by TheInferno; 2012-06-24 at 11:02 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #320
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Hopefully there was a no bunny hopping clause in his contract.
Yeah, no one should be rewarded for just smashing spacebar.

I don't think he's supporting that kind of mindless bunny hop for CS though and I don't think he believes that belongs in planetside either.

Last edited by Graywolves; 2012-06-24 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #321
AzK
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Actual gameplay understanding: -9999.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #322
Vancha
Colonel

The more I think about this the more I think it'll be good for PS2. PS1 was never a pure tactical shooter. It was a strange hybrid between tactical and arcade, and I don't think PS2 has that arcade aspect to it. If he can bring that, then it might be the best decision they've made so far.

Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
Not so sure about that, he's all for bunny hopping.
No, he's all for bunny hopping in CS:GO.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #323
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
Go eat some food. Your blood sugar is low or something, because you're incredibly cranky for no real reason.
I was being sarcastic since you pointed out that he isn't interested in using CS mechanics in this game. It is a technique I have mastered over the years to divert attention away from the fact that I was wrong.

Last edited by Otleaz; 2012-06-24 at 11:21 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #324
raykor
Private

Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
They hired one guy! That's all they've done! At least wait till we see some updated gameplay footage or beta before we start going all pitchforks and torches, good god.
I didn’t say I had CONCLUDED that PS2 would be horrible but simply that this is just one more piece of information leading me to suspect that it MIGHT NOT be for me.

It is impossible for people not to begin forming opinions based on the information we read and videos we’ve seen. Experience and reason have taught me to wait until I can try it myself for an extended period before reaching a conclusion but that will not prevent me from starting to form opinions and occasionally express them in a medium created explicitly for that purpose.

Higby has made it very clear—over and over again—that PS2 is being built to modern FPS standards. SOE wants to attract the tens of millions of people that play modern shooters and I don’t blame them for catering more to them than to the 100k or so that played PS1.

It may well be phenomenally successful and insanely popular, but just not for me.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #325
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by AzK View Post
Actual gameplay understanding: -9999.
No one should. In a game where the weapons are reliable it's not that big of a deal. For movement I currently see it as something used due to lack of sprint. When jumping around boxes and effectively navigating through the terrain, that is skill that should be rewarded.

But the last thing anyone wants to see in the battlefield is someone jumping around mindlessly in front of 5 people. In games like 2142 this was the issue because of the factors surrounding jumping/movement and the factors surrounding aiming. You would have a guy just jumping around dropping C4.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #326
Fek
Private

But the last thing anyone wants to see in the battlefield is someone jumping around mindlessly in front of 5 people. In games like 2142 this was the issue because of the factors surrounding jumping/movement and the factors surrounding aiming. You would have a guy just jumping around dropping C4.
I'm pretty sure you are frauding and have not actually played either CS or BF2142. I suppose it is possible that you were so bad at using the guns in 2142 that people may have actually managed to run up to you and C4 you as a joke.

Last edited by Fek; 2012-06-24 at 11:37 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #327
AzK
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
No one should. In a game where the weapons are reliable it's not that big of a deal. For movement I currently see it as something used due to lack of sprint. When jumping around boxes and effectively navigating through the terrain, that is skill that should be rewarded.

I don't see a problem here. If you can't hit a guy because he's moving faster through game mechanics or simply because he's jumping (because you mentioned 2142 and bf games do NOT have bunnyhopping, so, wtf.), maybe you don't deserve to kill him at all.

As of that example in 1.6 train (8.38) in that last video , if a guy is superior to you because he actually knows how to move properly and put himself into a better position, he should be reward for it. Also, always as shown in that video, if you also know how to move, you know what to do to counter them. People aren't "mindlessly mashing their spacebars" in those scenarios.

It's hardly as simple as "lololol people shouldn't be rewarded for mashing the spacebar". If what someone is doing REALLY is simply just "mashing the spacebar" without putting any thought behind it, and you can't kill him because of it, then you have a problem.

Last edited by AzK; 2012-06-24 at 11:45 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #328
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Fek View Post
I'm pretty sure you are frauding and have not actually played either CS or BF2142. I suppose it is possible that you were so bad at using the guns in 2142 that people may have actually managed to run up to you and C4 you as a joke.
Bad at guns? This is a latency issue, not an aiming issue. Hitting a bunny hopper is all luck if you have over 20 ping. It is obvious that it screws with how the game reads things when people bunny hop.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #329
AzK
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
Bad at guns? This is a latency issue, not an aiming issue. Hitting a bunny hopper is all luck if you have over 20 ping. It is obvious that it screws with how the game reads things when people bunny hop.
My "Horrible player detection" sense is tingling.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #330
Fek
Private

Bad at guns? This is a latency issue, not an aiming issue. Hitting a bunny hopper is all luck if you have over 20 ping.
I think you are confusing actual bunnyhopping present in games like CSS with the simple jump function found in all first person games.

Bunnyhopping is completely impossible in BF2142. Shooting people is extremely easy no matter how they used the in game movement.

Last edited by Fek; 2012-06-24 at 11:51 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion