IMO KillCam killing the Game - Page 23 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its almost as cute as a Kitten. Almost.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-02, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #331
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

No, it really doesnt. It doesnt even really require much work to implement either, at least nothing in comparison to vehicle enter/exit animations.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-02, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #332
Oryon22
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
No, it really doesnt. It doesnt even really require much work to implement either, at least nothing in comparison to vehicle enter/exit animations.
Interesting. Well, I still don't want the killcam!

Old 2012-02-02, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #333
Coreldan
Colonel

Most of us dont!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-02, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #334
SpLiTNuTz
Corporal

DO NOT put kill cams in the game! please I beg you.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #335
Raymac
Brigadier General

TO EVERYONE WHO SAYS KILL CAMS DON'T TEACH ANYTHING:

When I started playing MW2, I had been coming off a break of playing fps games and I was a bit rusty. The COD style killcam helped me immensely in learning how to aim. I had no idea how much to lead a target, especially with sniper rifles, and watching other players killcams helped me adjust my own targeting in game and improve my gameplay quickly. So don't try to even start selling the bullshit that it ONLY gives away a player's position. I have direct personal experience of it helping me learn how to play better.

Having said that, I can certainly see the point of view that it does give away some information on the location of the killer. So I would prefer the COD style killcam because I think it helps the newer player more and it gives away less information about the killer. For example, when I am sniping in COD, I will leave my scope zoomed in for a second or so after a kill which is a great way to not give away my position since the killcam will be over by then.

Also, given the reality that most PS1 vets are against the idea, I would like to see killcams as an option that a player has to spend an implant or skill point in order to use as opposed to having to spend one in order to opt out.

EDIT 1: Also, I think it's ridiculous that people who scream about not wanting killcams are perfectly fine with the PS1 rotating death cam because whenever you are breaching a defense, the rotating gave live intel for minutes on the status of the area trying to be breached...for minutes!

EDIT 2: Anybody that says they don't want killcams because it "attracts the wrong kind of player" is just spouting elitist garbage. Planetside should be for everyone, not just people you deem worthy.

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-02-02 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #336
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post

When I started playing MW2, it had been coming off a break of playing fps games and I was a bit rusty. The COD style killcam helped me immensely in learning how to aim. I had no idea how much to lead a target, especially with sniper rifles, and watching other players killcams helped me adjust my own targeting in game and improve my gameplay quickly. So don't try to even start selling the bullshit that it ONLY gives away a player's position. I have direct personal experience of it helping me learn how to play better.

Having said that, I can certainly see the point of view that it does give away some information on the location of the killer. So I would prefer the COD style killcam because I think it helps the newer player more and it gives away less information about the killer. For example, when I am sniping in COD, I will leave my scope zoomed in for a second or so after a kill which is a great way to not give away my position since the killcam will be over by then.

Also, given the reality that most PS1 vets are against the idea, I would like to see killcams as an option that a player has to spend an implant or skill point in order to use as opposed to having to spend one in order to opt out.

EDIT 1: Also, I think it's ridiculous that people who scream about not wanting killcams are perfectly fine with the PS1 rotating death cam because whenever you are breaching a defense, the rotating gave live intel for minutes on the status of the area trying to be breached...for minutes!

EDIT 2: Anybody that says they don't want killcams because it "attracts the wrong kind of player" is just spouting elitist garbage. Planetside should be for everyone, just just people you deem worthy.

If we need to unrealisticly lead targets like in CoD, I'm just not going to play this game.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #337
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
If we need to unrealisticly lead targets like in CoD, I'm just not going to play this game.
Leading targets is realistic.

Old 2012-02-02, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #338
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Bullet ballistics have been confirmed. You will need to lead your targets to some degree over range. And yea, real bullets have to be lead as well. It takes time for a bullet to get to a position. Not a whole lot, but over distance this may increase dramatically.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #339
Graywolves
General

Leading targets is realistic.
Yeah if you're firing a hell lot further than 300 meters away.

On CoD maps that was just bullshit.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/MariaPereyra.shtml

No. Nothing about leading in CoD was anywhere near realistic. It was just a BS way to add "skill". If skill is a spray and pray at 50m then there we go.

-edit- http://askville.amazon.com/fast-bull...estId=69071589
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_does_a_bullet_travel
http://answers.ask.com/Hobbies/Guns_...bullets_travel

Last edited by Graywolves; 2012-02-02 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #340
ThGlump
Captain

Let them have kill cams if they want to learn from them, and let it reveal enemy. But it must have a price by sacrificing implant slot form killcam implant. Then its even reasonable that it will show killcams on snipers and cloakers, since you payed for additional detection.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #341
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah if you're firing a hell lot further than 300 meters away.

On CoD maps that was just bullshit.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/MariaPereyra.shtml

No. Nothing about leading in CoD was anywhere near realistic. It was just a BS way to add "skill". If skill is a spray and pray at 50m then there we go.

-edit- http://askville.amazon.com/fast-bull...estId=69071589
Strawman. Never has it been stated that Planetside ballistics = COD ballistics so don't equate the 2.

Old 2012-02-02, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #342
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

I feel kill cams for newbies would be good. Toggle able kill cams for everyone else. First 3 hrs of game play for a newbie would give him kill cams for all, but once it's gone it's toggle for everyone. If mine is off when I kill you, you don't see my kill cam.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #343
Graywolves
General

Strawman. Never has it been stated that Planetside ballistics = COD ballistics so don't equate the 2.
Actually, I was pointing out that leading targets in CoD was BS given the scale of the maps. It has more to do with your point than mine.

Then I referenced sources on how fast bullets travel to reinforce my point of how aweful leading is unless you're attacking something REALLY far away.

-edit- in this game you shouldn't need a killcam to tell you how to aim. That instant it helped you for the BS target leading in CoD is an extremely isolated incidant that hopefully won't be in PS2.

Last edited by Graywolves; 2012-02-02 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #344
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Actually, I was pointing out that leading targets in CoD was BS given the scale of the maps. It has more to do with your point than mine.

Then I referenced sources on how fast bullets travel to reinforce my point of how aweful leading is unless you're attacking something REALLY far away.
Unfortunately those numbers don't mean much to people who don't know how those numbers where measured. Is the speed measured at the point at which it leaves the riffle, or is it the average speed between the riffle and the target (in which case: how far is the target)? At speeds like that you get a lot of air resistance, so speed will drop significantly over a short distance.

At any rate, Planetside maps will be a lot larger than CoD ones, and at 1KM distance you do have to lead your target regardless. Also, realism has nothing to do with it: games are tweaked as to what is more fun rather than more realistic.

Last edited by Lunarchild; 2012-02-02 at 01:05 PM.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #345
Tool
Master Sergeant

When I started playing MW2, I had been coming off a break of playing fps games and I was a bit rusty. The COD style killcam helped me immensely in learning how to aim. I had no idea how much to lead a target, especially with sniper rifles, and watching other players killcams helped me adjust my own targeting in game and improve my gameplay quickly. So don't try to even start selling the bullshit that it ONLY gives away a player's position. I have direct personal experience of it helping me learn how to play better.

EDIT 2: Anybody that says they don't want killcams because it "attracts the wrong kind of player" is just spouting elitist garbage. Planetside should be for everyone, not just people you deem worthy.
I think its worth saying that Cod is its own beast. It can afford to teach players their mistakes quickly because of the pace of the game. Learning how to lead targets at range, controlling recoil, etc is something an mmo shouldn't spoon feed its player base.

These things are a form of progression. Something learned and then passed on by players teaching one another and through practice. In kotor we practiced a lot, not just on our gun-game but any aspect that makes us better both individually and as a group. Training like this added an important layer to ps1 that helped it be set apart from the cods and battlefields.

Progression not in the form of gear or stats but skill and coordination. Moral of the story is, look at ps2 as an mmo and what that entails; not just a modern shooter with simply more players than usual.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion