harrasser proves dedicated driver is great - Page 23 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf Sigbot
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-23, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #331
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: harrasser proves dedicated driver is great

Defending solo driver/gunner... I just think that's bigotry... Then again, thinking that is bigotry is bigotry. We will get nowhere until the devs change it, or at least opt to change it on the test server. I don't see how you would not want to use the Lightning. There is a clear barrier here. If you want a solo heavily armed and armored vehicle, ask for BFRs/Mechs. See how well that will go over!

Crewed tank gameplay in PS1 was exciting as all shit. You picked the most boring video of crew in MBTs, mostly because it's some silly "realism" mod for battlefield 2. I might accept the driver/gunner combo if we had stabilized turrets, but we don't.

The Beowulf tank in Tribes 2 used driver/gunner positions; it was damn awesome. It says a lot when a game about raw speed, agility, and individual player freedom used a driver and gunner set-up.
Old 2013-06-23, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #332
Figment
Lieutenant General

Btw, in comparison:

Two things are noticable: suddenly it became 1. Attrociously aimed spam instead of aiming while firing on the move (people firing in third person even to at least see something) 2. bad driving (constant collisions) 3. A lot more Stop & Fire 4. Numerical vehicle spam.

There's a distinct difference in organization level and quality of gameplay between the vids I showed before and this one, while the power as a group between the four videos doesn't differ much when used for the same roles, because the power per individual is balanced against that of another player using something else. This is not the case with soloable PS2 MBTs, which is why everything else has to kill them so damn quickly, ruining vehicle gameplay in general.

Only numbers matter in these circumstances. Now if these had all been MBTs, the endurance and firepower difference would have been huge. That would never have been fair to whatever infantry would oppose them.

In PS1 however, the devs recognised that problem and ensured that the Lightning was a light vehicle with a light weapon to promote crewed units. And it worked wonderfully. There were NEVER as many threads with complaints about PS1 driving systems as there are about the lack of it and frustration with it in PS2.

In fact, I can't recall a single one ever being posted, because everyone enjoyed it. Instead, people argued over the balance between ES units due to them using different setups.

But, in PS1, both were possible, were competitive and complemented each other, rather than doing the same thing and off-setting the balance of power between two players using different units for the same purpose due to role overlap.

And what do you get with solo vehicles everywhere in PS2?

Traffic Jams.

Because THAT is such dynamic, fun, gameplay.

(Want to see more traffic jams? https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...be.hA7m78wMfF4 )

Last edited by Figment; 2013-06-23 at 07:11 PM.
Old 2013-06-23, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #333
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
the secondary gun is already as powerful as the main gun.
Then go away and quit trying to nerf other peoples fun.
If the secondary gunner does the same damage as the main gunnewr then stop complaining and asking for the primary gun to be nerfed.

If both guns do the same damage then team work is vital already.

You just a bunch of whiners who want attention.
Old 2013-06-23, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #334
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by omega four View Post
You can have the Lightning. I've got the solo operated heavy tank to play with, thank you very much.
I solo in the Vanguard plenty, but I'd rather not. And I've found the Lightning to be a better solo vehicle most of the time anyway.

Fortunately, your playstyle can't trump mine since mine isn't even in PS2 so long as there are no crewed tanks. You not only have one tank, but two to choose from for your solo tanking experience.

Old 2013-06-23, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #335
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
In fact, I can't recall a single one ever being posted, because everyone enjoyed it. Instead, people argued over the balance between ES units due to them using different setups.
there might have been a few complains of players who certed in the mbt, that they couldn´t use the maingun for their invested points. but since ps2 geves you all vehicles for free, and you can freely choose if you want to use certpoints for your personal advantage or for a gunner, this argument isn´t valit any more.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-23, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #336
omega four
Staff Sergeant

I find soloing the heavy tanks to be much more fun than Lightnings, but that's just me.

SOE has given me both heavy tanks and lightnings to solo, if I wish. I have no complaints about that.

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I solo in the Vanguard plenty, but I'd rather not. And I've found the Lightning to be a better solo vehicle most of the time anyway.

Fortunately, your playstyle can't trump mine since mine isn't even in PS2 so long as there are no crewed tanks. You not only have one tank, but two to choose from for your solo tanking experience.
Old 2013-06-23, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #337
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Right, and my complaint is that I have no options for being a dedicated driver in a tank.

Old 2013-06-23, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #338
omega four
Staff Sergeant

Understood. SOE should make a heavy tank variant that does allow for crewed members then.

That way, everyone is happy. You get your crewed heavy tank. I get my solo heavy tank. SOE can sell us stuff for money.

Right, and my complaint is that I have no options for being a dedicated driver in a tank.

Last edited by omega four; 2013-06-23 at 07:36 PM.
Old 2013-06-23, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #339
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Then go away and quit trying to nerf other peoples fun.
If the secondary gunner does the same damage as the main gunnewr then stop complaining and asking for the primary gun to be nerfed.

If both guns do the same damage then team work is vital already.

You just a bunch of whiners who want attention.
I will not go away, ghost9. I will never go away. I will always be with you like obiwan Kenobi.

I have maxed out prowler. I can go on endless killstreaks if I wish. but I don't. because its not fun and doesn't take skill. im not the kind of player who likes to stand still and get cheap kills over and over.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2013-06-23 at 07:44 PM.
Old 2013-06-23, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #340
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Understood. SOE should make a heavy tank variant that does allow for crewed members then.

That way, everyone is happy. You get your crewed heavy tank. I get my solo heavy tank. SOE can sell us stuff for money.
As long as my crewed tank is cheaper than your solo tank, has more hp, and does more damage.

Old 2013-06-23, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #341
omega four
Staff Sergeant

Seeing as SOE hasn't given you your crewed tank yet, you probably shouldn't be so picky.

Beggars can't be choosers. Until then, see you on the battlefield in our solo heavy tanks.

As long as my crewed tank is cheaper than your solo tank, has more hp, and does more damage.
Old 2013-06-23, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #342
GS Ourous
Private

Already have 2 of three
Old 2013-06-23, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #343
Whiteagle
Major

Now, that wouldn't work. Some harasser drivers just don't have the courage to drive towards armored columns.

I don't have the time or patience to find a driver that does in the warp gate, given my limited playing time.

Never mind. I'll just solo a heavy tank instead. Thankfully, SOE gives me the ability to do so.
Well fuck you, my Harrasser is a fine Tank Hunter when I use it just like a DriverGunner MBT...
Stop, switch seats, Snipe Tank Asses, switch seats when they catch on and drive off!
Old 2013-06-23, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #344
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
Well fuck you, my Harrasser is a fine Tank Hunter when I use it just like a DriverGunner MBT...
Stop, switch seats, Snipe Tank Asses, switch seats when they catch on and drive off!
don't bother. dude is obviously trolling
Old 2013-06-23, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #345
Ghodere
Corporal

I've been in the threads on this topic for quite some time, and have yet to see a half decent argument posted in favor of the status quo, so I'll go ahead and posit one:

SOE is, for some reason, terrified of offering refunds.

When they were going to change G2A launchers to not have a dumbfire, they chose to back down on the change rather than offer refunds. When they completely changed the role of the Saron and to a lesser extent the Enforcer, not so much as a peep as to compensation. The Cosmos (VS MAX AI) went from the very best option available to the very worst and, regardless if you think that deserves a refund or not, nothing was mentioned.

Solo MBTs cannot be replaced with crewed MBTs without compensation. It just cannot work; the shitstorm would kill the game all over again. So, there, one more barrier standing in the way of crewed tonks.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion