New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 26 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Spam, the only meat that can be found on this site.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-23, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #376
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

How about just out of admiration of the bipedal form?

This isn't supposed to be gritty realism. Just supposed to be a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 2012-01-23, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #377
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
well yes, but that assumes standard vehicles technology doesn't evolve too. I'm pretty sure no matter how good you can make a bipedal robot you'll always be able to build a better wheeled thing, the centre of gravity alone makes legs less useful
Hey, just playing the devils advocate here. I'm not for BFR's/Mechs. However, if they do decide to implement them later down the road they could limit the jump to half the height the single seater had in PS1 to scale small obsticles. Same could be said for track/wheeled vehicles. Small thrusters on the bottom of the vehicle could do the same if where gonna keep it realistic.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-23 at 07:18 PM.
Old 2012-01-23, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #378
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
well said..
Bollocks, give me a landline £9 phone over a crappy iphone 4 any day to make a phone call.

Bi pedal mech have no place in a world full of tanks, mechs are over complicated and full or weaknesses.
Old 2012-01-23, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #379
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Bollocks, give me a landline £9 phone over a crappy iphone 4 any day to make a phone call.

Bi pedal mech have no place in a world full of tanks, mechs are over complicated and full or weaknesses.
If we can't have fantasy vehicles in a fantasy setting, where can we have it?
Old 2012-01-23, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #380
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post

Tanks have the same weakness. Blow off one of its Track and its not going anywhere....Armor is weakest from above so on and so on.

Old 2012-01-23, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #381
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
no i think the idea of an army choosing walking robots over tanks laughable tbh
Mechs are well-established in sci-fi warfare. If you don't like them conceptually that's fine, but it's not at all an argument against them being a possible addition to the game. Frankly I'm not sure why you're interested in Planetside 2 at all, as the vehicles in it already aren't anything like what a realistic sci-fi army of the future would be using, mechs or no mechs.

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
This isn't supposed to be gritty realism. Just supposed to be a hell of a lot of fun.
This is all that needs to be said. The only thing that matters is whether it's fun and looks cool/appropriate. Nobody except some weirdo nerds would ever let the plausibility of mechs keep them from enjoying piloting a big walking robot with lasers and stuff.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-01-23 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2012-01-23, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #382
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

I like mechs. MechWarrior is one of my favorite franchises. But as for mechs in Planetside, I could take em or leave em. And since so much of the established fanbase has a bad taste in their mouth about the subject, probably best to leave em.
Old 2012-01-23, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #383
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It's been years since BFRs were added. I like to think that PS1 players who were around for that period have matured enough that they'd realize mechs in PS2 would have nothing to do with BFRs in PS1.
Old 2012-01-23, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #384
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I got a crazy idea.

How about we make MBTs 2-3 man vehicles again(and upgrade their stats) and then make Planetside 2 BFRs take the place of what the tanks were originally planned to be.

And then make them share (most) of their CERTs.

One MBT > Two BFRs. But Mechs would be the more accessible both in terms of skill required and communication. As well as having a few niche roles.(Jump jetting up mountains!)
Old 2012-01-24, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #385
Fate
Corporal

Why is this even still a topic for discussion. SOE already said they're not putting BFR's/Mech's in PS2 due to how much the original player base for PS1 hated them. Silly idea, but they actually want people to play PS2, and probably don't want it in the same state PS1 currently is in.
Old 2012-01-24, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #386
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DarkFate View Post
Why is this even still a topic for discussion. SOE already said they're not putting BFR's/Mech's in PS2 due to how much the original player base for PS1 hated them. Silly idea, but they actually want people to play PS2, and probably don't want it in the same state PS1 currently is in.
That's subject to change. Especially after the game launches.

Besides, would they really be so stupid as to think that they can't, you know, rebalance or retool it so that it doesn't have the same gamebreaking effects?
Old 2012-01-24, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #387
stordito
Staff Sergeant

it's still too much of a game-changer imho.

light ground vehicles are fast,ligh-armored,effective agaist infantry or air cav.
ground vehicles are slow, armored and powerful,they cannot go everywhere.
air vehicles are fast but light armored,can go everywhere but are easily spotted.
infantry is slow and not armored, can go everywhere and is hardly spottable and can engage any of those.

Any mech,by definition would be fast,armored,able to go everywhere and able to engage with success any of the above.

you could nerf the thing down until it becomes useless,but that's not the point.
i'ts the concept of this war unit that is a level above the others.
PS looks like a scifi shooter,but actually it's just a modern day shooter with scifi "cosmetics".
we have air vehicles with vtol,cars,armored trucks,tanks...a mech is another legacy.
It's like if Napoleon had sniper rifles,it woul have changed the battlefield forever.
fuck the cannons, i can snipe the sh*t out of the guy operating it from a mile.

I'd like to see mechs too,but honestly BFRs where fun when they where overpowered.
later they become a slow walking pile of junk unable to stand a guy firing between his legs,and perhaps nothing more than a tank with the optional ability to jump and a stupid shield generator on his ass with "SHOOT ME" written on it.

Last edited by stordito; 2012-01-24 at 04:35 AM.
Old 2012-01-24, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #388
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
If we can't have fantasy vehicles in a fantasy setting, where can we have it?
Mech warrior 5....
Old 2012-01-24, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #389
Hamma
PSU Admin

As I've said numerous times in this thread, Smed already said there would be no BFR's in PS2. Certainly the mighty dollar sign can change that sometimes but at this point this is kind of a pointless discussion topic.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-01-24, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #390
Bitmap
Private

How about this...

Outdoor exoskeletons for MAXes aquired like a vehicle that provide the things a MAX needs to operate outdoors. It would be part of the MAX tree and fairly deep in at that. The MAX would be able to travel faster and have more armor (no frackin' shields!) but would have to dismount from it in order to enter a building. Idealy, it would be used for transport as no additional weapons are added this way but AV MAXes get a nice boost in survivability against thier intended targets. AI and AA MAXes also benefit to a lesser degree.

What say you?
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion