New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 27 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Elmos, Smurfs and Barneys. All others can go F*!@ themselves.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-24, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #391
Vancha
Colonel

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by Bitmap View Post
How about this...

Outdoor exoskeletons for MAXes

What say you?
Maxception.
Old 2012-01-24, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #392
Baron
First Sergeant

I think the results of the poll should speak for itself and close this thread.
Old 2012-01-24, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #393
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I think the results of the poll should speak for itself and close this thread.
I'm pretty sure it's been said already, but I'll repeat it. The poll is mostly meaningless. The majority of people here have an aversion to mechs for obvious reasons, but even the total number of people here will hopefully pale in comparison to the player-base of Planetside 2. Hell, we're already seeing the arrival of people in this thread who didn't play PS1 and can discuss this rationally, instead of putting their fingers in their ears and screaming for the bad man to be sent away.

And of course, not liking something isn't a good reason to have the thread closed.
Old 2012-01-24, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #394
Sighpolice
Corporal

The idea of mechs in general isn't a bad one but it can't really work in a game like this.. I mean you've got tanks and aircraft and even naval has been talked about and not to forget the ground troops who will have all the AT under the sun available to them..

It's hard to implement a mech without it being a massive target of free kills, if you think about it the design itself of standing on 2 legs is a downfall, you only need small arms fire to take out a portion of the knee and it's rendered useless...

besides, if it had more firepower than a tank it would be overpowered, less firepower than a tank it will be underpowered and if it's the same then isn't it just going to be another thing to shoot at rather than be an intuitive reason to get people to play PS2?

Stay away from the idea until you can get some sort of scout mech, that works similar to the imperial gaurd's sentinel.. hardly any firepower but can run fast and has radar equipment

and for the record I quit PS 1 when BFR's were introduced, have been back to it since obviously but it's just not the same
Old 2012-01-24, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #395
Baron
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been said already, but I'll repeat it. The poll is mostly meaningless. The majority of people here have an aversion to mechs for obvious reasons, but even the total number of people here will hopefully pale in comparison to the player-base of Planetside 2. Hell, we're already seeing the arrival of people in this thread who didn't play PS1 and can discuss this rationally, instead of putting their fingers in their ears and screaming for the bad man to be sent away.

And of course, not liking something isn't a good reason to have the thread closed.
mechs ruined the first planetside, why even go there for planetside 2? Let the people who want mechs go play mechwarrior online
Old 2012-01-24, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #396
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
That's subject to change. Especially after the game launches.

Besides, would they really be so stupid as to think that they can't, you know, rebalance or retool it so that it doesn't have the same gamebreaking effects?
Its not subject to change.

If you still didnt got it yet: Its not the balancing issues that screwed it up, its the mechs themself. They do simply not belong to planetside, there is no place for big Fking robots on Auraxis.
Old 2012-01-24, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #397
Vancha
Colonel

mechs ruined the first planetside, why even go there for planetside 2? Let the people who want mechs go play mechwarrior online
That was a stellar example. Thank you.
Old 2012-01-24, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #398
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Its not subject to change.

If you still didnt got it yet: Its not the balancing issues that screwed it up, its the mechs themself. They do simply not belong to planetside, there is no place for big Fking robots on Auraxis.
Everything so far is subject to change. This included.

If they truly felt that this is inappropriate for the Planetside universe then they wouldn't have added them to begin with.

Given the place in culture that mecha stands at, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Mech Warrior Online isn't an MMO last time I checked.

Last edited by VioletZero; 2012-01-24 at 03:32 PM.
Old 2012-01-24, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #399
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

Just reading this last page I can agree with a few things that would be "neat."

- MAX upgrades (armor, weapons, etc) possibly only used outside that have "side effects" like slower movement, etc.

This would be neat seeing Top Tier MAX units on the battlefield with Top Tier weapons.

The game will never need something stronger, faster, bigger, than the current games battle tanks.
Old 2012-01-24, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #400
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

People who want mechs expect something powerful with devastating abilities and awesome stuff. What's the point of having BFRs otherwise, right ?

Well, that's how they were implemented in PS1. In their original implementation, they were as awesome and dominating as they looked. But terribly broken balance-wise.

Then they got nerfed and people wondered what was the point of them if not to soak up tons of damage and slow down movement of battles.

My point is that if they put mechs in a game, people expect them to be awesome or otherwise they will be disappointed. It's a catch-22: you either break game balance or disappoint your customers who wanted mechs.

At least, that's how I see things.
Old 2012-01-24, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #401
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post

The game will never need something stronger, faster, bigger, than the current games battle tanks.
This is something I agree with. MBTs should ABSOLUTELY be the main ground armor assault vehicle.
Old 2012-01-25, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #402
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
People who want mechs expect something powerful with devastating abilities and awesome stuff. What's the point of having BFRs otherwise, right ?
What do BFRs have to do with this? You were talking about mechs.

No, I would not expect mechs to be powerful with devastating abilities and awesome stuff. My ideal mech, if they were to be implemented, would be like IG's sentinels or Eldar war walkers in Warhammer 40k, rather than an Eldar wraith lord or Star Wars ATST. They wouldn't be the slowest thing on the battlefield, nor would they be the most durable.
Old 2012-01-25, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #403
Figment
Lieutenant General

You know Vancha, why do you think people want solo-person mechs in?

Because they've seen Mobile Suit anime's a lot. I mean, a lot of these people think of controlling a mobile suit as being Teh Awesum Hero from one of these teen cartoons: they have to be super powerful and certainly superior to tanks, because mechs have always been portrayed in sci fi as upgrades to conventional combat.

You propose lighter, alternatives. But if you consider the GDI Wolverine (small, AI mech) from C&C Tiberian Sun and compare it to an AI Buggy, it does the same, but is slower and has a larger profile. So what's the point? That you look different/cool? Is that enough? No, you'd need some specific benefits. So that you can walk on steaper terrain like BFRs could and reach positions only infantry can now? If that is the case, I don't like it because you'd finally have spots where infantry would be relatively on their own and you'd go screw with that again.

You could also put some thrusters on tanks and basically you'd get the Landmaster tank from Lylat Wars and make it do some barrel roles. It's sci fi, it's different, it's not a mech... But does it fit in, or is it something that is better left in an on rail single player shooter where you are not going to abuse it to squash infantry controlled by other players who are sneaking up on your side?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't see the added benefit of mechs to the PlanetSide universe. Besides, we don't even have buggies yet (some of the most loved featured vehicles from PS1 are the ES buggies) and there's already suggestions of adding the most hated things?

Some people should get their priorities straight and understand the community's context before proposing things.

Vancha, I'm quite sure that you could get new people in here to claim they wouldn't mind BFR type concepts as well. In fact, we already had people in this thread who liked BFRs upon release. So just because they're new, doesn't mean they've got the right to overrule the request from long term players to drop mechs for a sequel.

[irony]

Oh and here's a fun one for you Vancha, why don't you wait for beta to see if they'd fit in if you are so certain you can't make a judgement prior to seeing the game? So how could you possibly ask for them if you don't know the exact context and the exact niches they'd have to fill? Especially with respect to other vehicles that are still going to be added after beta?

Oh wait, speculative design and judging by making assumptions on what their relative strengths would or should be to be fair and acceptable, pre-defining their use and role and extrapolating on what players would do with it maybe? Only accepting that this is true under the exact conditions you stated for this judgement to be somewhat accurate, perhaps?

[/irony]

Hmm.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #404
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Well stated figgy.
Old 2012-01-25, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #405
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
You know Vancha, why do you think people want solo-person mechs in?

Because they've seen Mobile Suit anime's a lot. I mean, a lot of these people think of controlling a mobile suit as being Teh Awesum Hero from one of these teen cartoons: they have to be super powerful and certainly superior to tanks, because mechs have always been portrayed in sci fi as upgrades to conventional combat.
You really need to stop speaking for other people.

You propose lighter, alternatives. But if you consider the GDI Wolverine (small, AI mech) from C&C Tiberian Sun and compare it to an AI Buggy, it does the same, but is slower and has a larger profile. So what's the point? That you look different/cool? Is that enough? No, you'd need some specific benefits. So that you can walk on steaper terrain like BFRs could and reach positions only infantry can now? If that is the case, I don't like it because you'd finally have spots where infantry would be relatively on their own and you'd go screw with that again.
Again you speak for me. I proposed nothing. I described an alternative because I felt sylphaen's assumption was flawed.

Looking at the GDI Wolverine, I'm not sure why I'd consider it...It looks more like a juggernaut than the type of mech I described.

You could lso put some thrusters on tanks and basically you'd get the Landmaster tank from Lylat Wars and make it do some barrel roles. It's sci fi, it's different, it's not a mech... But does it fit in, or is it something that is better left in an on rail single player shooter where you are not going to abuse it to squash infantry controlled by other players who are sneaking up on your side?
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here.

- A landmaster is a specific entity, a mech is a far more variable concept.
- As you should know by now, I wouldn't claim whether anything speculative would fit in or not.
- Planetside already has a history of large vehicles squashing infantry.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't see the added benefit of mechs to the PlanetSide universe. Besides, we don't even have buggies yet (some of the most loved featured vehicles from PS1 are the ES buggies) and there's already suggestions of adding the most hated things?

Some people should get their priorities straight and understand the community's context before proposing things.
This doesn't sound directed towards me, but again I'll say I haven't proposed anything and I'm pretty sure I haven't suggested anything should be added since this thread got resurrected.

Vancha, I'm quite sure that you could get new people in here to claim they wouldn't mind BFR type concepts as well. In fact, we already had people in this thread who liked BFRs upon release. So just because they're new, doesn't mean they've got the right to overrule the request from long term players to drop mechs for a sequel.
Again you misrepresent my comments. I never suggested that just because someone was new that they had the right to overrule the wishes of Planetside vets. In response to Baron, I was explaining that we will probably represent a very small percentage of the eventual player base of Planetside 2 and thus to portray the results of the poll as the desires of the majority was incorrect, especially considering that the very thing that lead the vast majority of us to congregate here is something that would cause most people to have a bias against the subject at hand (and understandable bias, but still).

[irony]

Oh and here's a fun one for you Vancha, why don't you wait for beta to see if they'd fit in if you are so certain you can't make a judgement prior to seeing the game? So how could you possibly ask for them if you don't know the exact context and the exact niches they'd have to fill? Especially with respect to other vehicles that are still going to be added after beta?

Oh wait, speculative design and judging by making assumptions on what their relative strengths would or should be to be fair and acceptable, pre-defining their use and role and extrapolating on what players would do with it maybe? Only accepting that this is true under the exact conditions you stated for this judgement to be somewhat accurate, perhaps?

[/irony]
I didn't.

Edit: In case it's not clear yet (it bloody well should be), I'm not asking, pushing, suggesting, proposing or advocating the existence of mechs in Planetside 2. I'm fairly sure my posts in this thread consist solely of trying to dismantle the faulty logic behind the premature objections towards them (with some occasional smart assery thrown in here or there, I expect).

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-01-25 at 09:39 AM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion