Driver/Gunners... NO! - Page 28 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's that bright stuff coming through the blinds?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-12, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #406
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Re: Driver/Gunners... NO!

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
I doubt that, but whatever. Enjoying your 360 degree monovision?

edit-

Actually, the possibility of a tank being taken out by a single round or RPG is very realistic, including an Abrams. Phosphorous rounds are not commonly used because of their extreme expense, but stuff like that almost instantly burns through armor, nearly regardless of thickness or type, and turns the inside into a 4000 degree oven. It's been around since the 40's, but like I said, it's expensive, and so most the rounds a tank carries will be SABOT, with only a couple like this.
Some abrams carry tungsten instead of depleted uranium. I don't see the difference as they are both very dense materials. I love white phosphorous as much as the next guy, but everyone by now has developed countermeasures or at least resistances to it in their armor. At least thats what the challenger 2 and Merkerva tanks do.

Edit: The T-90 and M1A1 can be considered to be ~ equal.
the M1A2 SEP swapped 2nd gen DU mesh with 3rd gen DU. NBD
And M1A1 has greater depression of the barrel.

Last edited by TheDAWinz; 2012-07-12 at 04:08 PM.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #407
Ratstomper
Major

Wow, this thread went nowhere fast.

Even after reading all these arguments, I stand by my previous statement about drivers as gunners. Even though I can't find it....
Old 2012-07-12, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #408
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

We are just bored now and the debate has cooled down.

Now its more about if its better to have 1 two person or 2 one person tank.

On that subject, if the 2 person tank can take out 1 of the other tanks fast, that takes away 50% of the other teams effectiveness. So you would have to put that into your equation.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #409
Klockan
First Sergeant

Also a main reason why tanks could move around and fire well in planetside was because the turret didn't turn with the body, so you could drive circles without fucking up the aim of the gunner. If this wasn't the case the driver/gunner teams of planetside would be even less mobile than the single player tanks since as soon as you start to turn you fuck up the aim of the player controlling the tank. It is a lot easier to compensate for movement than to compensate for turning.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #410
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by SgtExo View Post
We are just bored now and the debate has cooled down.

Now its more about if its better to have 1 two person or 2 one person tank.

On that subject, if the 2 person tank can take out 1 of the other tanks fast, that takes away 50% of the other teams effectiveness. So you would have to put that into your equation.
Apples to oranges.

I don't understand why people think lightnings are "MBT lite". The heavier tanks are actually capable of pushing battle lines. Lightning are practically skirmish and flanking vehicles. That's exactly why saying "We already have a one-man tank" is kind of a defenseless argument for having separate spots for gunners and drivers. They're technically both tanks, but they serve different purposes. One is not just a more powerful version of the other.

It's obscenely difficult to try to play out hypothetical math like this. You have to look at things on a role basis. It doesn't matter how many lightning it takes to kill a MBT, because MBTs shouldn't be a lightning's primary target.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #411
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
Some abrams carry tungsten instead of depleted uranium. I don't see the difference as they are both very dense materials. I love white phosphorous as much as the next guy, but everyone by now has developed countermeasures or at least resistances to it in their armor. At least thats what the challenger 2 and Merkerva tanks do.

Edit: The T-90 and M1A1 can be considered to be ~ equal.
the M1A2 SEP swapped 2nd gen DU mesh with 3rd gen DU. NBD
And M1A1 has greater depression of the barrel.
Yeah, I think tungsten and d.uranium are pretty similar performance wise. I found a field manual/army study thing? Anyway, it says pretty much what I expected : cost. Tungsten is an alloy/material that is more easily obtained. Depleted Uranium, obviously, comes from Uranium, which isn't very common, as we all know. So... Yeah $$$$ <--- this here.

Phosphorous is also heavily regulated by international law, apparently. They don't mind you killing people... As long as you do it "humanely" note : humane is purely subjective. I think regulating this stuff is idiotic in the first place, but more so when stuff overlaps or is contradictory. Napalm is ok, but the very things that make phosphorous supposedly NOT ok (even though it's utilised despite not being ok, it's only if it's being used for specific applications) even though napalm does the very things that supposedly make phosphorous NOT ok. But then... That's bureaucrats for you.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #412
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Apples to oranges.

I don't understand why people think lightnings are "MBT lite". The heavier tanks are actually capable of pushing battle lines. Lightning are practically skirmish and flanking vehicles. That's exactly why saying "We already have a one-man tank" is kind of a defenseless argument for having separate spots for gunners and drivers. They're technically both tanks, but they serve different purposes. One is not just a more powerful version of the other.

It's obscenely difficult to try to play out hypothetical math like this. You have to look at things on a role basis. It doesn't matter how many lightning it takes to kill a MBT, because MBTs shouldn't be a lightning's primary target.
I agree that Lightnings and MBTs do no fill the same role, but they are trying to calculate between 1 MBT that is fully maned and 2 solo MBTs.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #413
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by SgtExo View Post
I agree that Lightnings and MBTs do no fill the same role, but they are trying to calculate between 1 MBT that is fully maned and 2 solo MBTs.
Right and I'm saying that's an unfair comparison because the MBT is clearly better designed for killing enemy armor than the lightning is. You can hypothesize till the cows come home with different scenarios, but the two can't really be compared like that.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #414
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Planet side one had a rule.

1 + 1 = 3.

If you choose to solo, you should not be as effective as a team. This applies to Vehicles as well.

If you want to solo, you have the lightning. You made a choice. Planetside one and two offer solo users options. No need to water down the team aspect when you are already covered. Separate Driver and Gunner, and put a cert, at a high level in tanking, to drive and gun. Just because battlefield does something, does not mean Planetside has to keep breaking its original design intentions. This is a war game, not a session based game. Two very different designs. Right now, from the outside, PS2 is a large scale session based game in its design.

I for one, do not like that. I hope to help them temper it into the global scale war game it should be, in beta.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-07-12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #415
Klockan
First Sergeant

I don't think that anyone would want separate driver and gunner with the current tank controls, without having a noobified turret like PS had it would be a hell to be a gunner if the driver didn't stood still.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #416
DukeTerror
Private

Yeah, I didn't expect my 1driver/1gunner tank vs 2 solo tanks comment to turn into such a math debate. What Losers! J/K However, it's a really about can the 2player tank maneuver, dodge, and aim better than the solo tanks because of the two focused players and ability to see in two directions.

The obvious answer is yes, but is it significant enough to make a difference to such a battle scenario? I'm crossing my fingers in the beta they actually test this out to see what players like better (and I assume they'll like whatever kills better ultimately in large scale combats)
Old 2012-07-12, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #417
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Right and I'm saying that's an unfair comparison because the MBT is clearly better designed for killing enemy armor than the lightning is. You can hypothesize till the cows come home with different scenarios, but the two can't really be compared like that.
I'm saying that they are not trying to compare the Lightning to the MBT but are comparing 1 MBT with both gunner position filled and 2 MBT with only the main gun filled.

@Blood: The reason that the MBT can be driven solo is that it is the only vehicle for that role. If you compare it to the air vehicles, the ES planes can fill the same role as the Lib, but the lib will be allot more devastating with its increased gunner numbers. But a Lightning cannot fill in the role of a MBT because it lacks the protection of heavy armor. But that does not mean that the devs cant make another heavy tank with more places in it for outfits that enjoy to be in the same vehicles.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #418
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Planet side one had a rule.

1 + 1 = 3.

If you choose to solo, you should not be as effective as a team. This applies to Vehicles as well.
Not entirely true. Certain roles were more prone to being effective than others. Snipers would, on average, get more kills in a life than standard grunts would. Infiltrators, on average, didn't get many kills and had to work pretty slowly, but still served a practical and important purpose. Most multi-manned vehicles will be more effective than single manned vehicles, just by their nature. However, that's just the rule of thumb.

Performance is based on tactical thinking and ability to adapt to situations, not "how many of X should it take to do Y?". That kind of thinking completely negates all the logic and thought that goes into a PvP game. Let's face it, HOW you play the game is 90% of what will make you successful.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #419
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
You have got to be kidding. What kind of numbers do you need?
Cost.

Specifically relative cost vs. income in an average situation. What the most limiting factor is, whether it's resources or players.

Also, less important, the number of tanks that can effectively engage a smaller group (given terrain) before losing effectiveness due to overkill or lack of angles, etc.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
@Flapropi.

Algebra doesn't require accurate numbers.
True, but there are too many unknown variables. Including what the heck the rest of the army is doing, how quickly the gap in resources can be spent via other means (did the gunner lay a bunch of mines to cover their rear for instance? [assuming mines cost resources like grenades]), etc.

The other would probably take barely any damage. However, you say this is fair because of resources spend.
Indeed, because nothing stops the multi-crew from getting another tank, at that point, they've lost time, but the fight is even or possibly in their advantage (pending reinforcements on either side, whether or not they killed the first driver and if that driver can return as quickly as they can to assist his allied tank, etc.)

Or for that matter getting a Liberator or Air-to-Ground Fighter knowing that those MBTs only have one crew member so if they use their AA secondaries they are likely immobile and thus easy targets... assuming they even have time to respond properly when you come in for the initial attack.

Or, if they choose to get two tanks when they come back, they'll have more resources to do so. Or a tank and a fighter to really screw them over.

Or it means they focus on taking away resources from that empire that are used for MBTs to limit their capability in the long run.

I don't think any player in game will feel it that way and their response will be something other than "oh well, again". Why? Because they want to perform and thus they learned a lesson: play with two tanks, not one, to be efficient. More costly? Depends. Over time it's probably less costly if you survive more often.
I don't think survival affects resources, just victory and point control. Certainly if you are able to consistently take more resources due to that temporary advantage then you'd be right. However, if the battles are long enough that attrition is a factor then it can easily even out or turn in favor of multi-crew use. Winning the battle is more important than winning a specific engagement within that battle.

In any event I think that effectively saying that any player would disagree with me is an overstatement (certainly, as a future player myself it won't be strictly true). Learning the system, the draw-backs, and the potential benifits of single vs. multi-crew both in resources and in time to prep will be important, and I think as long as they are able to take out or get close to taking out one of the enemies it won't be so frustrating that they'll rush to change tactics or yell at people for getting in the gunner position (instead of their own tank).

EDIT: And Azren does make a good point. The two units are going to take advantage of directional damage which will be in PS2, so don't forget to add damage mitigation/increasing modifiers. Note that it seems just a few hits in the rear can already take out a tank at this time. So being able to flank (which is incredibly easy with two vs one), is going to be a huge modifier to the situation.
You can flank, but (as a group) you are less maneuverable, and terrain could be a mitigating factor as well (likewise it can hide your numbers/approach to enable flanking, strategy and player skill is a significant factor in this obviously). In a small area where you can only (effectively anyway) fit D number of tanks, the ones that are better crewed will come out ahead even considering that the single-crewed tanks will be quicker to fill the spaces of lost tanks, simply due to better damage within the field of fire.

In larger open areas more tanks at less firepower have the advantage, and in rougher terrain the tanks with more firepower could have the advantage in spite of the HP gap. All within that specific engagement. Also, this ignores Air and Infantry support, where multi-crewed tanks will likely be better equipped to handle them if only because they have more eyes to see incoming.

Here's how I'm looking at it. You have something that costs X resources and does Y damage per gunner and Z HP. You're paying 2X for 2Y damage and 2Z, while the other side is paying X for 2Y and Z. Even accounting for flanking, you're paying double the resources for only a bit more (say, 2.2Y w/ flanking modifier) than what they are getting in terms of firepower, and relying on greater total health to make up the difference in cost... and even then you're still likely (at least 40% chance as long as we're going with rough numbers) to lose half your firepower and HP for the next engagement.

If it was just the one isolated battle, yeah, you'd come out ahead, but over a series of battles attrition could hurt. And that's what this game is all about, persistent, never-ending war.

Without knowing how effective attrition is, resource scarcity, and other numbers, there isn't enough to say that one strategy is generally better than another. If it's done right, there will be times having a bunch of single-crew MBTs will be the way to go, and other times you want to have multi-crew MBTs for superior concentrated firepower, maneuverability, and conservation of resources.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #420
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DukeTerror View Post
However, it's a really about can the 2player tank maneuver, dodge, and aim better than the solo tanks because of the two focused players and ability to see in two directions.

The obvious answer is yes.
No they can't, since the turret is fixed to the chassis in this game trying to aim while the driver drives will be hell, so most likely a single 1 man tank would perform better since he would have an easier time compensating for his own movements. Separating driver and gunner with those mechanics would almost force the driver to stop or at least stop turning every time the gunner wants to fire or the gunner would never hit anything.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion