Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: More snug than a straight jacket.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I can see why this would be one of the first things to go on a tight budget, character animations are always a lot of work especially when they have to be done for dozens of vehicles. Will be interesting to see how this pans out if you can get into and out of vehicles instantly, I guess with the lack of vehicle hacking and faster pacing it's not so much of a problem anymore.
It's not only animations, it's vehicle interior next to door/hatch as well.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Please leave this in. Between the reason for the hacking of other vehicles would cause them to go above budget among others it sound like SOE is cutting way too many corners. Don't make the boat sink on launch due to a crappy budget and a early release when its still in Beta. SOE already saw what happened to Vanguard Saga of Heroes.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Volw
First Sergeant

Vehicle animations are hardly a critical feature of PS I'd say ...
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-11, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
moosepoop
Captain

animations really add to the immersion factor, and the critical goal of any MMO is immersion.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
Vehicle animations are hardly a critical feature of PS I'd say ...
Always good to have unique features to your game to make it not look like the same old thing. Plus I love getting the jump on crews repping their vehicles and killing them while I am in my Van. Instant hop ins will totally ruin that and any sense for finding a proper rep spot.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
dachlatte
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lithious View Post
...Even if the whole game gets delayed a few months its totally worth it!

but seriously....boarding and exiting animations? there are much more important things to worry about
Old 2011-07-11, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Volw
First Sergeant

I'm not saying I don't like vehicle animations - I think they're great. But let's be real here. Matt already said they are too expansive to implement and it does make sense.

Adding interiors and animations to all of the vehicles in game would probably push the release date by at least a month. Also, lets not forget Galaxy itself requires no less than a dozen of animations and interior pieces. We also don't know how much the mods will modify the appearance and possible doors/hatches.

So yeah - sure they're cool but I won't kill myself over no having them. There's plenty of cooler things they can do with development time instead of doing this.

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-11, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Little nuances like boarding-vehicle-animation add a VERY important element of realism and tangibility to the universe. The more these absences occur, the more this feels like a low-grade GAME rather than a living WORLD. For instance, to parallel, when we switch weapons in Planetside 2, do they just appear in our hands? Probably not- our avatar holsters one and draws another. When we teleport/fast-travel to a location, do we just appear in that new place? No- we are hot dropped via a pod and crash land to the DZ. These details are VERY important and deeply enriching. Even if people do not declaratively notice that they are happening, the will subconsciously feel MUCH more immersed in the world. Inversely, if these nuances are omitted, even the people who don't declaratively notice their absence will feel less captivated and engaged in the world; it will feel more hollow and insubstantial.

It is very important to keep elements like this. We need vehicle-boarding animations.

~Zachariah
Old 2011-07-11, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I loved them in PS1, but I don't want them in PS2.

Why?

I want you to retain a first person perspective as much as possible to make the sense of immersion that much greater. So rather than it cutting to third person you see your guy open the hatch and slide into the seat, then start up the vehicle.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I loved them in PS1, but I don't want them in PS2.

Why?

I want you to retain a first person perspective as much as possible to make the sense of immersion that much greater. So rather than it cutting to third person you see your guy open the hatch and slide into the seat, then start up the vehicle.
That actually means you do want them in PS2, just not be forced to Third person but rather keep your camera where your eyes would be. Like that, sounds cool.

And i also want those animations rather than "hit E and be instantly in the vehicle". its such a cool uniquie aspect of planetside that even adds to the gameplay. If you have ever been a cloaker behind enemy lines, and you happen to see a enemy tank driving by, stopping close to you and those 2 guys jumping out to repair, then you know what im talking about. You sneak up, boomer/knive/beamer one, the other one lacks dark light and jumps into the vehicle to be save. Without the animation, you could miss that easily because he would just dissapear into the vehicle.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
And i also want those animations rather than "hit E and be instantly in the vehicle". its such a cool uniquie aspect of planetside that even adds to the gameplay. If you have ever been a cloaker behind enemy lines, and you happen to see a enemy tank driving by, stopping close to you and those 2 guys jumping out to repair, then you know what im talking about. You sneak up, boomer/knive/beamer one, the other one lacks dark light and jumps into the vehicle to be save. Without the animation, you could miss that easily because he would just dissapear into the vehicle.
We could fix this by automatically broadcasting a loud "I'M GETTING INTO THE VEHICLE" voice macro
Old 2011-07-11, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by INIDominus View Post
Really should be kept, not because of its aethetic, but for its influence on gamplay. As has been stated: instant vehicle control would have a negative effect.
This.

I understand they are trying to speed up every aspect of the game, but it seems they are doing it at the cost of features from the original people enjoyed.

For example, sanctuaries. Was it really THAT much of a hassle to spawn in sanc and fly/drive to a WG?
Old 2011-07-11, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Jennyboo
Mrs. Hamma

I like it therefor hope they keep it
Old 2011-07-11, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
That actually means you do want them in PS2, just not be forced to Third person but rather keep your camera where your eyes would be. Like that, sounds cool.
Oh hell yes...Getting into a vehicle in first person. This must happen.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Leyxa
Private

Good riddance, I say. Their influence on gameplay was usually to pull me out of the action and make me curse at how long they were taking. Unless the camera transitions were smoother I'd be happy they're gone. An engine ignition noise could fill the gap if you wanted a similar effect, i.e., delayed vehicle start-up. A SFX implemented delay would have the advantage of not feeling so much like the player has lost control of his avatar and increase the idea that the player is acting through his avatar on a tank that is separate to his avatar.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion