GU09 Will have new Lattice - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: it will make you Squeek.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-15, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sifer2
Major

Re: GU09 Will have new Lattice

This is going to be interesting. I really hope it isn't bugged, and has to be pulled before we can really give it a good spin with real populations. I'm less worried about it being pulled due to community backlash. There will be that vocal minority crowd that likes taking a Platoon on back capping operations that will oppose it. But hopefully the rest of the playerbase will realize how fun the game can actually be when its large fights.

Of course the balance in large fights needs work. Air still gets instagibbed by AA. Infantry can't really do anything but snipe or shoot rocket launchers as TTK is too low to move into heavily defended areas without overwhelming numbers. Only ground vehicles really feel in a good place since the armor buff. Though it mostly depends on how many enemies are around with the new RL's. Higher frequency of massive fights might help spotlight this to the dev team.
Old 2013-05-15, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Mustakrakish
Corporal

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
am i right that the second tweet means this is just a try and may be unrolled on short notice if kiddys cry out too loud?
It's probably so they can take it offline for bugfixes if anything PST missed crops up. That way they can at least put the hexes back up while they work the kinks out rather than forcing us to deal with a broken system while they fix it, or taking the entirety of Indar offline.
Old 2013-05-16, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

If it turns out that the noobs don"t like it, lets hope that Ps1 vets can get our own server with a global lattice system. I wish ,I wish, i wish

Old 2013-05-16, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Nice. Soon to have "Enemy Company detected?"

Old 2013-05-16, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
ringring
Contributor
General

I suppose they didn't get enough people on TEST to be confident that it's going to work as expected.

I suppose that's understandable. I recall the TEST server in PS1. The tests I took part there were usually focussed around a battle for a single base and the devs provided a short-term goal for the battle. e.g NC defnd while VS attack fromt he north and TR from the south. But testing the lattice requires the whole continent to be fought over.
Old 2013-05-16, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Mustakrakish View Post
It's probably so they can take it offline for bugfixes if anything PST missed crops up. That way they can at least put the hexes back up while they work the kinks out rather than forcing us to deal with a broken system while they fix it, or taking the entirety of Indar offline.
Yea I think so too. On Amerish they need to redesign the entire terrain around the Acent and Ravan landing as there are no roads leading up to those bases from any other base for an example. Redesigning those might be a chance that can go either way.
Old 2013-05-16, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
ringring
Contributor
General

In a sense I don't blame the new people who don't know planetside for not appreciating the lattice. They haven't seen the whole game in operation.

But we mustn't kid ourselves or anyone else for that matter that the lattice will fix everything. We still need those new continents and the command and cooperation tools.

The strategic game on planetside 1 encompassed the whole world of Auraxsis, even with the lattice planetside 2 will still essentially be 3 independent maps.
Old 2013-05-16, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
torokf
Corporal

i'm so happy
Old 2013-05-16, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
SternLX
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Yea I think so too. On Amerish they need to redesign the entire terrain around the Acent and Ravan landing as there are no roads leading up to those bases from any other base for an example. Redesigning those might be a chance that can go either way.
Those bases are that way because Amerish caters to Air. You can always Run on foot up to Raven btw. If you insist going on foot, Go Inf, run up there, hack vehicle term, pop AMS sundy. fight on.
Old 2013-05-16, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Stew
Major

prey that the game can handle , these large figth

During today on my server (Mattherson) I witnessed several large outfits using large amounts of infantry and various vehicles, the server became extremely unresponsive with these large outfits in the same area.

I believe that this game isn't ready to handle large scale battles involving large numbers of players. Specifically, the servers don’t seem to be able to handle large amounts of players in the same area; the server simply breaks down and becomes extremely unresponsive. The server becomes so unresponsive the only viable class is the heavy assault. This game simply can’t support large numbers of players in the same area in its current state in my opinion.

I fear that with the introduction of the lattice system this problem will be amplified and more commonplace.

Thanks to stew translator the official stew translator
Old 2013-05-16, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Figment
Lieutenant General

The main worry I have is that the lattice will be introduced incomplete. In other words, without the systems backing it up like useful sabotage (or drain ;p) options to choke points, lacking defenses vs irritating siege mechanics, lock-out hacking on linked bases when the base down the line is already hacked, etc.

The lattice is just part of the greater system, if its supportive elements do not work well yet, it could well result in the lattice itself getting blamed.
Old 2013-05-16, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Methonius View Post
If lattice doesn't make it in I really wont see the point in continuing to play the game. The hex system has always annoyed the living shit out of me from the start.

I've joined many platoons that just insist on avoiding the enemy. FFS I don't understand why.
Isn't that strategy? If the enemy insist on staying only in one spot, why should they be the first concern. Anyone with half brain would take the surrounding regions first to have the advantage against enemy that has been waiting for an attack in easier to defend base.

Lattice tries to circumvent the problem by making that impossible / a lot harder. It might work, I'm not saying that, but as far as I know, nothing stops you from changing to a different lane, if you encounter a bigger force. And nothing should stop that or the game would lose a massive amount of players.
Old 2013-05-16, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Qwan
Captain

I think the lattice system is pretty much going to be the way to go, I mean the hex system made since when you needed influence around the main base to speed up the hack time. I mean this was how we planned an attack on misison night in my outfit, select the main base, capture the surrounding bases and try to get to the main base before the hack went threw (XP hore's). But since we started with the hack and hold systems the hex'es only purpose now is so that the enemy can now cut off a base, like a tech or amp or bio lab. Ive noticed this pattern since they moved from the influence to the hack and hold system. Ghost hackers would hack outpost surrounding main bases that were well defended bases. With the lattice system I forsee a really big problem for the people with older CPU's, I mean most fights will be consentrated I assume and there systems wont be able to handle the larger battles. I think making Indar the main focus on the servers and really giving the system the once threw between GU09 and GU10, collect the data, and really pay attention to the numbers, I think alot of players will see that this is not a bad system. I think the designers are trying so hard to not be like PS1 that they are just leaving out things that worked, and creating more problems for themselves, and in the long run there gonna loose more customers than they gain.
Old 2013-05-16, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Snydenthur View Post
Isn't that strategy? If the enemy insist on staying only in one spot, why should they be the first concern. Anyone with half brain would take the surrounding regions first to have the advantage against enemy that has been waiting for an attack in easier to defend base.

Lattice tries to circumvent the problem by making that impossible / a lot harder. It might work, I'm not saying that, but as far as I know, nothing stops you from changing to a different lane, if you encounter a bigger force. And nothing should stop that or the game would lose a massive amount of players.
I have to agree and disagree with you here, it is strategy, but (this is gonna sound silly) it brings order to chaos, some of the best battles Ive had so far in the game were not at the crown, or TI alloys, most factions would just simply bipass it and during alerts on INDAR, if you owned the crown you usually lost, I use places like that to farm. Some the best fights Ive had are on Esimer, were essential bases were needed for resources to push up into enemy territory. I think the lattice systems will give players an Idea of were to find a good fight, and I believe that most players will appreciate this system in the long run.
Old 2013-05-16, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
But we mustn't kid ourselves or anyone else for that matter that the lattice will fix everything. We still need those new continents and the command and cooperation tools.

The strategic game on planetside 1 encompassed the whole world of Auraxsis, even with the lattice planetside 2 will still essentially be 3 independent maps.
Originally Posted by Assist View Post
Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
cant wait until these scrubs have to fight.
Boy are you going to be disappointed. People can still avoid each other, it's not cut off that much which anyone who spent a good amount of time on the test can tell you. This is not a restrictive lattice like PS1.
This brings me to what I posted in Higby's thread:
Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
  • Okay, this one is huge, yet it's really small in terms of how long it takes to change it: "/order" and "/lead(er)" working for anyone who got the cert. It can increase the overall coordination. *

* Alot of people may say tons of BS about how it's gonna create spam and OMGEVERYNOOBWANTSTOLEAD, but:
a) There're "security drones" that can silence people if somebody starts spamming too much.
b) With the upcoming rush lanes, IT IS IMPERATIVE that you give better coordination tools for solo players, since it is most likely that most of the "backhacks" are going to be met not with giant platoons fighting in a zerg, but by small groups, that are not even necessarily in a squad.
Otherwise it's just gonna end up as if there was no change to the system, just like it happened during the Harasser focus test, when I was pitted alone against a group of 6 without any real means to report it, since nobody was "ordering" for me to see to whom I can realte to. If you consider it to be to radical of a measure, at least give such players "/sitrep" option that delivers messages to anyone who has leadership chat active at the time.

TL;DR If they are so serious about the lattice, they need to make "/lead" and "/order" constantly available for those owning the cert, or at least add "/sitrep" that allows you to report to all squad leaders with the cert.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-05-16 at 07:22 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion