Who wants a "no helmet" helmet option? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You're still here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-24, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Chewy
Major

Re: Who wants a "no helmet" helmet option?

Would I like to see this as an option? Yes
Would I use/buy it as an option? No*

When I RP it is as someone who got fucked up from doing what he/she thought right and now has one hell of a scar across the face. No scar option then I go for a full face mask. That is why I like the Titan welding mask so much and have a copy for every class. I can have my RP without having a scar to show while still being someone that looks like he has a story behind the mask.

I can say that my scar is not for others to see. Even though modern tech could fix it in an instant I choose to keep it as a reminder that what was done was done for a reason. I choose to be deformed so I can not forget no matter how much I want to.

Besides, the new TR hat looks like crap on a cloaker. Without a helm or mask of some kind how does the cloak work? You would see floating heads all over the place. Great for pranks and a few WTFs but not for a fight.
Old 2013-05-24, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Selerox
Sergeant

Sounds like a good idea. As long as the default buy option isn't too expensive and there are options for camo paint, hair etc.

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
You have to reply to T-Ray's tweet to make it happen.
I refuse to do that because I object to having to sign up with another site simply because the devs can't be bothered to use their game's forums.
Old 2013-05-24, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Rolfski
Major

Guess it would be ok-ish. Probably better if you add characteristics to it like +10% movement speed/FOV bonus and -10% headshot/armor bonus or something amongst those lines.
Old 2013-05-24, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Falcon_br
Captain

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I'm guessing that it might have something to do with performance.
It doesn't make sense, the game already load your face under the default helmets!
Just get closer to a friendly soldier with default helmet, getting to close his helmet will disappear and you will see his face!
No helmet would improve performance, not decrease it!

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-05-24, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Falcon_br View Post
It doesn't make sense, the game already load your face under the default helmets!
Just get closer to a friendly soldier with default helmet, getting to close his helmet will disappear and you will see his face!
No helmet would improve performance, not decrease it!
No idea if it would be a problem, just the only reason I can see as to why they won't be making any facial hair, hair or head additions. I wasn't referring to there being any issue with just having a no-helmet option with the default head models.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-24 at 01:50 AM.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Falcon_br
Captain

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
No idea if it would be a problem, just the only reason I can see as to why they won't be making any facial hair, hair or head additions. I wasn't referring to there being any issue with just having a no-helmet option with the default head models.
I thought you was talking about the no helmet option to decrease performance.
But yeah, maybe more head features would decrease perfomance, but that is also the case of new helmets! Today I died to several headless enemies just because there are so many types of heads on the game already that the game doesn't even try anymore to render then all!
People do said to me it was because of low VGA memory speed buffer (the streaming velocity of the memory, forgot the right name), other did said to me I need a VGA with more VRAM, I just tested the game on my friend house on a 660 TI with much more VRAM and memory speed and the problems were still the same! Everyone with default look, when I get closer it pops up his real look!
At least I played the game on ultra with acceptable, yeah, you get more colors and light on it!
They will keep introducing helmets to the game so it is rentable, they should have used the team fortress 2 engine for that's!
PS: the last sentence is a joke, but the devs really should have taken that in consideration when they were developing the engine, and also a 32 bits engine for a game that requires 4 gb of ram to run it, it is impossible to understand!

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-05-24, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Falcon_br View Post
I thought you was talking about the no helmet option to decrease performance.
But yeah, maybe more head features would decrease perfomance, but that is also the case of new helmets! Today I died to several headless enemies just because there are so many types of heads on the game already that the game doesn't even try anymore to render then all!
People do said to me it was because of low VGA memory speed buffer (the streaming velocity of the memory, forgot the right name), other did said to me I need a VGA with more VRAM, I just tested the game on my friend house on a 660 TI with much more VRAM and memory speed and the problems were still the same! Everyone with default look, when I get closer it pops up his real look!
At least I played the game on ultra with acceptable, yeah, you get more colors and light on it!
They will keep introducing helmets to the game so it is rentable, they should have used the team fortress 2 engine for that's!
PS: the last sentence is a joke, but the devs really should have taken that in consideration when they were developing the engine, and also a 32 bits engine for a game that requires 4 gb of ram to run it, it is impossible to understand!
Oh, is this where headless enemies come from?
Old 2013-05-24, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
SpectreNova
Private

This is one feature I would really like to see.
Old 2013-05-24, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Don't see a point in this if all faces are one of a determined limited preset, and even if they were unique; I'm being asked to pay to "unequip" my combat helmet? Hilarious

Last edited by Carbon Copied; 2013-05-24 at 03:38 AM.
Old 2013-05-24, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post
Don't see a point in this if all faces are one of a determined limited preset, and even if they were unique; I'm being asked to pay to "unequip" my combat helmet? Hilarious
TF2 does it. It's successful.
Old 2013-05-24, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'd definitely like to see a no helmet option. I think we need more faces though before we do that.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-05-24, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'd definitely like to see a no helmet option. I think we need more faces though before we do that.
Agreed. Character customization in skinning would be appreciated a lot. More uniqueness is needed. PS1 was uniform enough...
Old 2013-05-24, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Shogun
Contributor
General

in todays armies, the soldiers have different faces but are wearing the same uniforms.

in the future it is vice versa, everyone has the same face, but is wearing different clothes.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-24, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
in todays armies, the soldiers have different faces but are wearing the same uniforms.

in the future it is vice versa, everyone has the same face, but is wearing different clothes.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-24, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
PMT (pretty much this)
QFT (Quoted for truth)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion