Higby wants to know what we think about GU9 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Known to cause stupidity
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-26, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Re: Higby wants to know what we think about GU9

Well, so far it's pretty much what I expected from the lattice, wherein everyone is basically funneled into giant stalemate battles.

The big fights are cool and all, but the expected drawbacks are also there. My computer can't handle it, so my game quickly descends into a slideshow, I feel much more restricted in how I can contribute in a small group or by myself, and the death from all directions thing is significantly exacerbated.

Tonight we had a complete stalemate between TR and Vanu at Hvar and a group of like 6 of us broke out and got behind enemy lines, where we could have cut off the Vanu and perhaps broken the stalemate, but because the connection wasn't there, we couldn't start taking anything and were stuck just harassing their troops until they eventually killed us all.

Another thing I've noticed is it really highlights how bad the base design and capture mechanics are when you smash that many people into one area. It's like they're designed with spawn camping as the objective, instead of taking the base. 30 tanks in a circle around a spawn room just pounding away at it while the timer runs down is just silly.

I need more time with it to really assess how I feel about it, but so far my impression is not terribly positive.
Old 2013-05-26, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
SolLeks
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post
So you are complaining that you cant tank multiple people focuisng fire on you.....seems legit. So by that logic MAXes suck in general becouse you can get focused down.
then whats the point of the shield?
Old 2013-05-26, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Kiten
Private

I love how I can actually find all kinds of battles happening on Indar at anytime with ease now, so I can enjoy both big and smaller-sized battles when I log in. Squad-sized fights will happen mostly only between two factions at a time though, so if you want some of that kind of action you have to be logging in when your faction is one of those two it seems.

It's also been the first time I've seen a warp queue on Ceres... Impressive.

I don't have much negative feedback to give over the meat of the update. But this one irks me a bit: some Lattice links give such a hard time on the attackers it becomes a hopeless meat grinder with an opposition of at least equal numbers. The first example that comes to mind is with Tawrich Tech Plant when attacking from the West: after taking Tawrich Depot while being shelled from the turrets of the Tech Plant, the attackers have to go conquer the Tech Plant while dealing with the cancer that is Tawrich Tower (not truly curable until after the conquest of the plant itself!), being under the crossfire fire coming from Blackshard Iridium Mine, and having to face reinforcements coming from Tawrich Recycling.

I also feel there are situations where the Lattice links are not problematic, but the territory they are played in is; an example are probably the territories on the north/west of Indar, where the northern Warpgate has a very easy time shelling targets without cover to hide behind on a large number of territories. This and the naturally open terrain gives a situation similar to the attack on Tawrich, where attackers will maybe reach the base target with dwindling numbers and mechanized support only to be sent to kingdom come by surrounding tanks and infantry, which then has the advantage and can often push the attackers at least back all the way to Saurva Bio Lab before they can regroup and the fair fights can start again.

What was shown on FNO episode 33 is already looking promising to solve this last mentioned portion of semi-issues I felt with the update, however, so probably all this last thing I mentioned needs are those new outpost domes and walls.
Old 2013-05-26, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

I like the Lattice system and understand why a lot of people wanted it but I hope it doesn't make an entrance for every continent. When I'm tired of 60+ vs 60+ It's nice to hop over to amerish and esamir for some small squad fights, something that simply doesn't happen on Indar anymore.

That aside, I think the max abilities will be needing some looking into.
Old 2013-05-26, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Methonius
Master Sergeant

When lattice link is on every cont you will still have smaller scale battles but more fights all over, since people will be willing to play in every location. It's just like that on Indar because it's the only cont that has new shit right now.
Old 2013-05-26, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Vashyo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Methonius View Post
When lattice link is on every cont you will still have smaller scale battles but more fights all over, since people will be willing to play in every location. It's just like that on Indar because it's the only cont that has new shit right now.
This is about the best thing in the lattice right now, we have a frontline. Ofcourse it's not very strong and still has cracks mostly cause there's so many links and people don't split evenly. So you have +48 vs +48 somewhere and 48 vs 12 on another base.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Phreec
Corporal

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
To be fair the Fracture is a good weapon mostly for its accuracy...
We TR Marksmen aren't use to having something that can actually hit shit at range, so we REALLY love the Fracture.

My best advice for if you are seeing a lot of FracMAXes in Infantry combat is to circle and flank them up close.
The Fracture sacrifices the Terran trait of filling an area with lead for its concentrated Killing power, so two Light Assaults kiting one FracMAX should be super effective since as long as you split his focus he'll only be able to spam rockets towards one of you at a time.
Well MAX's are seldom alone and while C4 is pretty much the natural predator of MAX's is it usually nigh impossible to get close enough to them without being spotted by other enemies first regardless of how sneaky sneaky you are.

Also the C4 trigger is so slow and clunky that even if you manage to toss a stick by their feet it takes ages of spamclicking to set it off.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I am really enjoying the lattice. The fights have been amazing here lately and has added a whole new element to the game strategically. You can either roll with the zerg and use brute force to pound your enemy into the ground or you can use the lanes to judge their next move and setup kill boxs. I am just loving it and can't wait to see it on the other continents.

Price reductions are also nice. I am finally able to buy up some new toys that I was on the fence about due to how much cheaper they are.

Cons:

ZOE MAX: I am still up in the air with it at the moment. There is times where I can just decimate a ZOE MAX then there are others when I just can't touch the dam thing and its extremely annoying. I don't think they need to be nerfed to hell and back. I do think the speed increase they got with the ability needs to be toned down just a little bit.

AA: I have tried my hand in flying since GU09 and I have to agree with the fly boys that AA needs to be toned down a little with these new ability the MAXS have. It was nearly impossible to get near a TR or VS base due to the amount of burster fire coming up out of them along with lock's. (*Note: Maybe these new dome shields will due the trick that they showed off in FNO.)

Aegis shield: Not so much a con as I am really enjoying my shield and I have been able to go on some great kill streaks with it. But there is still times when the shield just won't stop bullets that it should of when it hits the shield dead on. Seems more like a bug than anything else. Also, how about giving the shield a melee option like shield bash.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2013-05-26 at 07:24 AM.
Old 2013-05-26, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
SadlyJack
Private

The Lattice is fantastic, my only complaint is that it isn't on the other continents yet. I'm beginning to miss playing on Amerish or Esamir.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

The Lattice seems good. Surely an improvement on the overall game. The only problem is that the game became Indarside again.

Overall GU9 is promising for the things to come, so I decided to take a rest. I'm kind of exhausted of the same steamrolling numbers game over and over again which gets even worse with low pops and pop imbalance on some if not most servers.
Hopefully the teased base redesign will change some of that and maybe more merges will come too. But that will surely take months. So I decided it's the perfect time to put the game aside, play something else and come back when those changes are rolled out.
I have played roughly 300 hours with my main char alone, and I enjoyed most of it. But it has become stale somehow. The "excitement" to start the client and get in the game has vanished. It's great that it took so long (I rarely play games that long) and I hope that the excitement to play this game with my outfit will come back in a few months.
Old 2013-05-26, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
moosepoop
Captain

the "lattice" is really just removing ghost cap and adding some lines on the map. but removing ghostcap has been great, i really like it.
Old 2013-05-26, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
TheDrone
Sergeant

It's obvious from reading the discussions back and forth about which system is better that different people want different things from this game.

And I say, why not?
The Lattice offers a certain experience which is valid in itself. The Hex, when improved upon, could offer its own experience.
People have different ideas of what they expect from battle-flow and strategy or tactics.
There is nothing wrong with people having different tastes.

In EVE you have Empire space and Nulsec, each with their own rules and appeal. Both make EVE as a whole more appealing to more types of players.
Capture The Flag and Team Deathmatch can both exist in the same FPS.
Some people like dungeon-running, other people like questing. And a third group likes to do both.
Some people like survival mode in Minecraft, other people like to just build stuff in creative mode.
Lots of games have different game-modes, all of which took development time. Some are more popular than others, but that doesn't mean there should only be one.

We have three continents. Why not keep one a Hex continent and use the developers previously working on figuring out the rules of the Lattice to improve upon the Hex until it no longer has the flaws it now has.

Everyone will benefit from this.
There will be more types of people attracted to the game, therefore more players, more payers and thus more money to pay for devs.
There will be more content overall. The odds will be smaller for the game to turn stale. Fatigue will be lessened due to diversity.

Now, yes, there are bound to be some practical considerations. But there were practical considerations inherent to switching from the hex to the lattice. Yet people realized the potential and tried to push the developers to overcome these.
So I implore you to not instantly dismiss this notion. Even tho you might not understand someone else's tastes, that doesn't mean those tastes are invalid.

Last edited by TheDrone; 2013-05-26 at 12:49 PM.
Old 2013-05-26, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
And I say, why not?
The Lattice offers a certain experience which is valid in itself. The Hex, when improved upon, could offer its own experience.
People have different ideas of what they expect from battle-flow and strategy or tactics.
There is nothing wrong with people having different tastes.

We have three continents. Why not keep one a Hex continent and use the developers previously working on figuring out the rules of the Lattice to improve upon the Hex until it no longer has the flaws it now has.
But I wouldn't want to be restricted to not playing on another continent because it doesn't have my play type on it. If they want to offer different play types, hex vs. lattice, then just make different servers with those types on them. People who like lattice will play on lattice servers, people who like hexes will play on hex servers. Simples.....
Old 2013-05-26, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Well, I dislike gu9. Lattice doesn't fix anything it was supposed to fix and now even the performance is awful again. Every base cap is either ghost cap or enormous battle. How about making one patch purely for optimization instead of adding more and more stuff to "use" the gained performance? At the moment I don't really care to play, since the performance is really destroying my ability to even aim at the enemy. I still have mostly over 40fps, but how about people that have a bad computer. I doubt they can play at all anymore.
Old 2013-05-26, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Crator
Major General

Graphics evolve with the times. I'm all for better optimization but an old PC is an old PC. Should game play mechanics suffer in a game that is supposed to be about big battles cause not everyone's PC can handle it? I just don't see how they can provide small scale battles in a game like this. They do happen, yes, but it's easy for them to turn into large battles. That's even with the hex system too.

Also, I've already experienced this in-game, people that want smaller battles need to follow behind the larger ones. There's now a need for defense at locations behind the larger fronts. This is because the enemy can work their way behind the large front to the linked location and start taking it, while the larger front is trying to battle their way into the enemies linked location. We need those smaller groups to defend our point behind us while we move forward. I've had to run back to our point behind us a few times today already due to this.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-05-26 at 01:23 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion