Disapointed in the lack of persistance in Planetside. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its almost as cute as a Kitten. Almost.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-03, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by keaoi
well these games also have no monthly subscription, unlike planetside. i think val's $13 (just like mine) are starting to feel like theyre buying less and less.

a thought just occured to me that one of my favorite places to fight was Seaharus. Mostly because of the fact that its not a home cont. What if the number of home conts fell to like 1. Say VS had Amerish. Meaning that 3 conts are home conts, and 7 are neutral. one of the few things that really pisses me off in this game is that when say the VS hossin invasion is going well, a l33t ninja hacks azeban. ok np. just a lone ninja.

<Global> "random cr5 name (90% of them are guilty of this)" OMFG FALL BACK! FALL BACK!! AMERISH IS UNDER SIEGE!! HOLY SHIT!!!

thus the zerg ("support") follows the global, and we get stomped.

cant take anything without the zerg.

with fewer home conts, the invasion would most likely be ongoing.

Keaoi,

This is exactly how I feel. I'm paying 13 dollars a mont really for the fact that I can play larger maps with 100's of players around me.

This is starting to take it's toll.
Old 2003-11-03, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Manitou
I don't know. I understand the feelings that desire a "victory condition", but I wonder if once we get that, or attain that, will we be satisfied then as well? Will we then require SOE to engineer an even larger or more dramatic "victory condition"?

The other night I found a victory. It wasn't earth shattering, but it provided for me the joy that I desire from a game playing with friends, and it made the 13 bucks I pay each month worth it. Myself and a small squad of Dragon Wolves (5 or 6) piled into a Deliverer (we affectionately call it our Escalade) and we trooped off to the local candy store (an enemy base with lots of modules) snuck in, grabbed a module, ran out and jumped in the Deliverer. Off we went! We did some fighting along the way and finally got back home and installed the module.

Was this a noticable victory on the planet Auraxis? Probably not, but myself and my little team had a blast doing it. I found victory in that. Yes, it could be argued that after a while this too will become boring. Well, maybe next time we will take two modules from two different bases using different tactics or vehicles. It is really up to us how we enjoy this game. We can rely on SOE to find ways to make it interesting, or we can make ways for ourselves. If we find ways for ourselves and SOE throws something in once in a while, that will satisfy me!

Manit,

This used to be the case with me. I found it very satisfying that the NC used to be able to lock X amount of continents. But you know what? I just don't care anymore, I'm tired of repeating the same bases all of the time. Hack, rehack, Hack, Rehack. There is nothing persistant about doing the same thing over and over. There simple needs to be something bigger, something that everyone in the empire strives for. That one big goal.

But what is it?
Old 2003-11-03, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Black
Lieutenant Colonel

When i owned my outfit on konried named the Barney Slayers we use to do a attack on esamir and eventually they would come we only have a small number of ppl but they outnumbered us by 20 ppl we had to of held them off for at least 30 mins and it was fun jus invading a cont that is locked by a enemy it may get boring for a while but the will eventually come. So dont give up valcron they will do something soon.
Old 2003-11-03, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Originally Posted by Valcron
Manit,

This used to be the case with me. I found it very satisfying that the NC used to be able to lock X amount of continents. But you know what? I just don't care anymore, I'm tired of repeating the same bases all of the time. Hack, rehack, Hack, Rehack. There is nothing persistant about doing the same thing over and over. There simple needs to be something bigger, something that everyone in the empire strives for. That one big goal.

But what is it?
I can understand the frustration. There is that tug sometimes of reaching some goal out there that satisfies this repeated processes of hacking, stealing modules, defending said hack or module, etc. You ask "What is it?" I am really hard put to answer that for you personally. I just know for me it extends beyond the game to my Outfit. Am I just paying 13 bucks a month to play online with the CDL? I don't know - maybe. I guess it will boil down to how you define that "...one big goal."

Val, I hope you find it man, because it would be sad to lose a solid player like yourself.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2003-11-03, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Black
Lieutenant Colonel

Your playing because of us manitou
Old 2003-11-03, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Manitou
I can understand the frustration. There is that tug sometimes of reaching some goal out there that satisfies this repeated processes of hacking, stealing modules, defending said hack or module, etc. You ask "What is it?" I am really hard put to answer that for you personally. I just know for me it extends beyond the game to my Outfit. Am I just paying 13 bucks a month to play online with the CDL? I don't know - maybe. I guess it will boil down to how you define that "...one big goal."

Val, I hope you find it man, because it would be sad to lose a solid player like yourself.

I thought CC would cure some of the problems I was having with the game, but it didn't. As much as I like CC in some regards, it's actually a mess in a lot. I realize they really just don't give us a lot for the 30 dollars. I rarely fight in the caves, and the weapons/vehicles are limited in use. Honestly, if I had known this I really would have to question the value/price of CC. It was in some ways a rushed product to playcate the current problems in game.

I need to see what Dallas says in next producer's letter, I need to see how comitted they are to the actual dynamic/persistant content that comes up. If not, I will have to really evaulate me paying for the game
Old 2003-11-03, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Like any MMO game, people go through phases of extreme satisfaction, apathy and utter boredom.

The commonality between players who reach these stages is that they've played the game far more than most of their other games.

As for a victory condition, you have to make your own. Whether it's mastering soldiery, engineering or piloting, you've got to be able to look inside yourself for it. If there were an 'endgame', people would exploit their way to it, share their foul knowledge, and move on to corrupt a new game, all in record time. If you must 'beat the game', a single-player game is for you. You don't 'beat' MMO games. Ever.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-03, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
keaoi
Master Sergeant

but unlike other MMORPGs, Planetside HAS no change except balance pass this, or expansion pack that. Where is my "Quest for the ________"? I honestly dont care what it is, as long as its something. Make it some random AT artifact that nets my empire "X amount of Y" for a 24 hour period after bringing it all the way back to sanc. Unfortunately, how many players would be interested in such a goal? Few, I fear. I also grow tired of hack, rehack, hack, and certain bases have earned my hate. Gunuku for example seems to always be the place where Emerald VS lose our "umph". So, I skip it, do some scouting.

Honestly, PS is unlike any other game in that, seems as if it is simply Tribes2 w/o jetpacks in a world where lots of other Tribes2 servers are connected. I dont pay $13 a month for Tribes2. I still play, and love that game.

Play games like EQ, EnB, DaoC, etc whats the biggest, most compeling factor? Dev interaction. Special objectives. Clan (or whatever you call them) competitions. Give me those, not CC (i do own CC btw) and ill glady pay my $13 a month.
Old 2003-11-03, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

I think what the thread starter is looking for is a more epic goal an empire can achive that cant be overturrned just a half hour later.

They have something similar in Dark Ages of Camelot (DAOC), they are called Relics. For those not familiar with DAOC here is the 10 cent tour, Relics are trophies that give a side bonuses (damage bonuses), they are held in a very very difficult Keep (DAOC keeps are like PS bases). Each Realm has 2 of it's own relics. About the only way to really take other team's Relic keeps is to take all of your enimies keeps, then throw most of your team's higher level players at the keep and hope to grab the relic before the other Realms can stop you.

Upside of this is that it's really hard to do and it takes a lot of coordination; so you really have a sinse of accomplishment when you pull it off.

Downside is that many of these "Relic Raids" end up being held at 3 am when the opposition is nearly non-existant. And often times, People will only play on an empire who has all the relics constantly.... creating awful population imbalances.

PS could have a similar system where each empire has a "Fortress" that other empires try to take to give them bonuses. But make these Fortresses nearly impossible to take without an epic struggle.

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2003-11-03, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
keaoi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nitsch
PS could have a similar system where each empire has a "Fortress" that other empires try to take to give them bonuses. But make these Fortresses nearly impossible to take without an epic struggle.
ill take some of that plz
Old 2003-11-03, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

The CDL has a DAoC division and I have visited that game some. I see the point there and it is actually a good one.

I had thought about something like that as well, but more aligned with gaining a foothold in an enemy Sanctuary. Let me give a broad overview of what I was thinking.

*Disclaimer* This is not well thought out, but simply something that I had juggled in my head once or twice.

Near one of the backyard continents' Sanctuary WG there would be towers, say three. Within these three towers are switches that must be taken and a new module installed in each one called the "Reverse Warp Gate Module" or something. They must all three be installed and held for say 15 minutes before the Sanctuary WG switches its "energy" and the enemy can then enter the Sanctuary of that Empire. If even one of the towers at the WG are resecured, the WG will revert to normal. Once the enemy actually is able to get into the Sanctuary of the Empire they are attacking, they have the chance to steal that Empire's "trophy" or something (maybe sitting in the HART terminal on the second floor observation deck) and then they must take it back to their Sanctuary and install it before it is reclaimed by killing the soldier carrying it and touching it, or some other resecure method. The Empire that does this and is able to get the "trophy" back to their Sanctuary will get to use one of the Empire specific weapons at any normal terminal for 24 hours (or until the "trophy is resecured by the same means it was taken). For example, the TR are able to secure the NC "trophy". The TR then get to use the Vanguard for 24 hours from the secure time of the NC "trophy". Also, the global map would show the "trophy as a symbol on the map sitting in the enemy Sanctuary.

Comments? It may not be feasible, but man I would love to have the Vanguard for 24 hours to romp around in!!!

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2003-11-03, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nitsch
I think what the thread starter is looking for is a more epic goal an empire can achive that cant be overturrned just a half hour later.

They have something similar in Dark Ages of Camelot (DAOC), they are called Relics. For those not familiar with DAOC here is the 10 cent tour, Relics are trophies that give a side bonuses (damage bonuses), they are held in a very very difficult Keep (DAOC keeps are like PS bases). Each Realm has 2 of it's own relics. About the only way to really take other team's Relic keeps is to take all of your enimies keeps, then throw most of your team's higher level players at the keep and hope to grab the relic before the other Realms can stop you.

Upside of this is that it's really hard to do and it takes a lot of coordination; so you really have a sinse of accomplishment when you pull it off.

Downside is that many of these "Relic Raids" end up being held at 3 am when the opposition is nearly non-existant. And often times, People will only play on an empire who has all the relics constantly.... creating awful population imbalances.

Good suggestions, but is this even on the designers table? I would really be curious as to know what Smokejumper and his team have in store. They always talk about all of these wild/fantastic ideas. But you know what; it's all pointless if it's just new vehicles/weapons etc. This is why I am glad the Loadster has been delayed, gameplay is suffering entirely far worse than lack of vehicles/weapons.
Old 2003-11-03, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Valcron
Master Sergeant

bump
Old 2003-11-03, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Jagd
Major

How bout I persist my foot up your ass? Still dissapointed? What if I twist it, like so...
Old 2003-11-03, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
EarlyDawn
Major General

Both shakeups and long term goals would be nice.
You could, however roll them into one by making that advanced prowler Tech plant two weeks to capture. Terrans have to hold it for at least 50% of the time to gain the advantage.

That would make the goals semi-persistant.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion