Things I will miss in PS2 from PS1 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "Quotes" book coming soon.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-14, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Things I will miss in PS2 from PS1

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
What BF2 tactic? If you mean, people switching someone else to squad leader, so that the dead can respawn on someone else, surely they will curb that in some way.
I hate all kinds of exploiting, but I have to say I had plenty of fun with my friend with this thing

Well, neither of us had the full version of BF2, we only played the multiplayer demo with one map, the one where the US had the carrier ship thingie. We would take a jet there and just cause all kinds of "trouble" around there. We wouldnt spawnkill anyone, but it was so funny make them all confused who is shooting and what's going on, trying to do all kinds of different ninja ops

It was also fun rigging the jet runway with explosives and blow it up as the jet was accelerating

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-14, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Speed of combat is an incredibly complex subject. Personally, from a Battlefield point of view, I prefer unlimited sprint, plenty of fast vehicles available, squad spawning and flag spawning, etc, but for this to be offset by HUGE maps. Oh, and I prefer smooth quick prone animations and for simple powerful jumping instead of that vault animation, although those 2 things don't apply to PS2. And no significant enter/exit animations. That way, the gameplay FEELS fast because you're moving fast and you're not delayed by any of these things, but at the same time it still takes you a while to reach anywhere. BF3 fails in this regard because, while I certainly think there should be small maps like Metro to cater to who wants them, there should also be true large maps, but unfortunately what BF3 uses as large maps are not large at all. You can run to the next flag in 10 seconds at the most and you can certainly reach the next flag with any of your weapons. Therefore, BF3 large map size is not big enough to offset the unlimited sprint and weapon range.

So, anything that stops you from boom headshot. No thought, zerg game where death maters not and you continue the cycle of die spawn die spawn? Where the individual is all that matters?

No thanks. I do not play online games to "play alone, together". Game play can be fast paced, but to design yet another rinse cycle game is a terrible idea.

We already have M.A.G.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by kadrin View Post
Again, have you ever tried to get out the door of a vehicle with some hundreds pounds of gear and armor and your gun, while keeping the gun up to fire? Have you tried doing that out of the small hatch on the top of a tank?

Matter of preference really, I thought the speed of combat was fine, if I wanted faster I could literally choose any other fps ever. Regardless of preference though, even as someone suggested earlier, at least have some sort of phase in/out, some to visually convey that they're entering or exiting the vehicle rather than just *POP*.

If what they said was true, and squad spawning is only on the squad leader and they come from drop pods, yes its fine.

But something to consider: since everyone can be a squad leader, there is as far as I know, currently no way to tell who is a squad leader, so singling them out will be impossible, arguments made along the lines of "just kill the squad leader" don't really have any merit.
It all depends on what type of vehicle it is. If you're on the back of a truck it would be impossible (and dangerous) to keep your weapon in an low-ready position while exiting. Exiting an APC you would already be in a low-ready position, enabling you to establish a firing position within seconds of setting up the perimeter.

Tanks usually have an escape hatch to enable the crew to get out safely, should the shit hit the fan. Tank crews are usually not armed with anything more than a sidearm at best if I recall correctly (they tend to favor their cannons/machineguns).

Easiest way of finding out who the SL is: Look at who enters the area last and are not aggressively participating in combat.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
So, anything that stops you from boom headshot. No thought, zerg game where death maters not and you continue the cycle of die spawn die spawn? Where the individual is all that matters?

No thanks. I do not play online games to "play alone, together". Game play can be fast paced, but to design yet another rinse cycle game is a terrible idea.

We already have M.A.G.
BF3 is exactly the kind of zerg game you just described and I DON'T want that.

What in my post has anything to do with "playing alone together"? Nothing. Being able to move fast does not mean not playing together.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Bonius
Sergeant

What BF2 tactic? If you mean, people switching someone else to squad leader, so that the dead can respawn on someone else, surely they will curb that in some way.
Yes the SL-rotation is one of those. Squadbombing also comes to mind.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Yes the SL-rotation is one of those. Squadbombing also comes to mind.
Well, BF2 fixed that by making it so that you have to respawn before you can rejoin a squad. And yet NOW, Battlefield 3 allows it again...and so did BC2.

What's squad bombing? Dropping off a Galaxy with 10 squad leaders in it and then 90 people spawn?
Old 2012-03-14, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

The epic music I think shall return. Don Ferrone the guy from PS1 has all ready released some tracks for PS2
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Bonius
Sergeant

Well, BF2 fixed that by making it so that you have to respawn before you can rejoin a squad. And yet NOW, Battlefield 3 allows it again...and so did BC2.

What's squad bombing? Dropping off a Galaxy with 10 squad leaders in it and then 90 people spawn?
There were workarounds for that too

Yes squad bombing is when you have everyone sitting in "pool". You have one guy go into the objective area (stealthy-like), then the squad leaders of the other squads spawn on him, leave the squad, create their own squad and have their squad members spawn ontop of them.

If executed correctly, you could go from 1 to 32 guys in a split second and everyone would be within their corresponding squads with their designated kits. The enemy will think that just one guy entered the area, but as soon as they turn the corner or scout it, there's 32 people there - a.k.a the objective will be lost before they even realize what happened.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Bags
Lieutenant General

IIRC those were just demos he made.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Stardouser
Colonel

There were workarounds for that too

Yes squad bombing is when you have everyone sitting in "pool". You have one guy go into the objective area (stealthy-like), then the squad leaders of the other squads spawn on him, leave the squad, create their own squad and have their squad members spawn ontop of them.

If executed correctly, you could go from 1 to 32 guys in a split second and everyone would be within their corresponding squads with their designated kits. The enemy will think that just one guy entered the area, but as soon as they turn the corner or scout it, there's 32 people there - a.k.a the objective will be lost before they even realize what happened.
Ah, and you know what's best? In Battlefield something like that is technically possible but no one will listen because the game is too fast paced(due to map design) and you can't get it done. I'm guessing the kind of people who play Planetside will be more than willing to make that kind of thing happen.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
The epic music I think shall return. Don Ferrone the guy from PS1 has all ready released some tracks for PS2
Oh well, I'm just gonna turn em off as soon as I log in. I dont mind music in menus really, but any and all music shall gtfo from the actual gameplay for me

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-14, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Bonius
Sergeant

Ah, and you know what's best? In Battlefield something like that is technically possible but no one will listen because the game is too fast paced(due to map design) and you can't get it done. I'm guessing the kind of people who play Planetside will be more than willing to make that kind of thing happen.
Then again that tactic was created in and for the Battlefield games. That's how we stomped the DICE-devs first time around. Guess when the "must-be-alive-to-join-squad" tweak was implemented

You will see alot of BF tactics being implemented in PS2 since the game mechanics are pretty similar.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
kadrin
Sergeant

It all depends on what type of vehicle it is. If you're on the back of a truck it would be impossible (and dangerous) to keep your weapon in an low-ready position while exiting. Exiting an APC you would already be in a low-ready position, enabling you to establish a firing position within seconds of setting up the perimeter.
You know, for some reason I wasn't thinking about APCs, but yes you would exit/enter those much quicker. But these games allow infantry in armor with a gun to enter/exit tanks quicker than someone can walk through a door to a house. It's just silly.

Easiest way of finding out who the SL is: Look at who enters the area last and are not aggressively participating in combat.
Not sure I agree with this, I've lead squads from the front or at least the middle of the pack fairly often and participated quite heavily, and I've been in squads with squad leaders who do the same. Though to be fair we had everyone on Ventrilo and not typing. Point is, it's not that easy.

Originally Posted by Stardouser
Speed of combat is an incredibly complex subject...
I have to agree with what MrBloodworth said, what you've described is not Planetside, it's far too fast, it's just zerging around boomboomheadshotdierespawnboomboom. Which is something I can get from every other shooter, and why I don't want it in Planetside.
Old 2012-03-14, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
MooK
Staff Sergeant

The music - This increased the immersion of the PlanetSide universe at an untold factor. It really reinforced the existing storyline, and actually made the battles that much more intense, and the interactions with players that much more involved. It was, in my opinion, an integral part of the first one. Where the gameplay was technically lacking, the immersion more than made up for it. Unfortunately, I don't think adding things like specific hitboxes, missions and whatnot can make up for lackluster music.

The AMS and the ANT, to me, were very important. The AMS provided something fairly unique, and I'm not sure the galaxy can replace this. Things like being tasked, as a cloaker, to find an AMS, and either OS it or hack it, was just one part of Planetside, that really made it unique. The ANT, like the AMS, also added something very unique. If a defensive force was successfully holding a base, they would eventually run out of energy, and thus were constantly facing a clock. The ANT really provided a great game mechanic, and I hope to see the same type of gameplay in the next version.

The driver/gunner combo has already been touched upon. I also believe that it was a great way to introduce tactics, strategy and teamwork. Furthermore, being independent from the driver allowed the gunner to have more concentration on target acquisition, defense, and offense.

I'm hoping we can get into a position to play the game soon, because time is working against the devs with all this speculation.
Old 2012-03-14, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
ringring
Contributor
General

[QUOTE=DaddyTickles;655207]I know I'm in a tiny minority (at least on this forum ) but I will miss the old VS Max jumpjets.

[QUOTE]

My striker will too .... "a flying max is a dead max".

I'll miss the ANT ..... it's funny but only yesterday I did an ant run to a hacked base ... 10% NTU, would I get there in time, I had a long way to go ..... find out next week in the next episode of .... "ANT RUN!" .... ta ta taaaaa

Last edited by ringring; 2012-03-14 at 10:06 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion