Another PlanetSide? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Scratch here to reveal prize.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-05-06, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Funny, in some ways, it does feel like a beta test. Lots of bugs, patches, hot fixes, etc.

Wonder if the next generation game will have these same problems, could be a SOE trademark!

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
Old 2005-05-06, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Zaxis
Private

The testbed theory is a good one, but still, keep in mind, it's only a THEORY. If true, it would seem like a distressing matter. Although PlanetSide will forever change the computer gaming market, it just seems like it will be forgotten... In my opinion, it's a sad story. Even though PlanetSide MAY lead to a better MMOFPS, it just seems like PlanetSide should be the rightful game to have the true title of an MMOFPS.

However, what if this theory isn't correct? What do you guys think?
Old 2005-05-07, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
hex222
Staff Sergeant

planetside: the forgotten revoloution

i allways thought that the ultimate game would mix genre's, FPS/MMORPG's are the start of a big thing, i'm sure...

manicfesto
Old 2005-05-07, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
juggalokilla
Sergeant

Its hard to knock genre starting games, planetside may eventually become a legend. "The first mmofps ever". It would be held up high like Doom gets for fps and Quake for deathmatching. they weren't the most popular games at their time but they grew into legends. maybe soon we'll have super LAN planetside parties like Quake-con. Putting hundreds of old school PS vets and nubs together to drink beer, bawls, and some massive munchies!

Last edited by juggalokilla; 2005-05-07 at 04:28 PM. Reason: grammar of a retard.
Old 2005-05-07, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

At last, some positive waves
Old 2005-05-08, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

You guys realize that World War 2 Online was the first MMOFPS right? Planetside did not create the MMOFPS genre.
Old 2005-05-08, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
juggalokilla
Sergeant

never heard of that one warborn. anything like world war style with some rpg type elements would be sweet if they keep it simple. Just blame thye Dutch on cloning experiments for a respawn excuse, ha. Just plaing, the Dutch rock! could always blame the Nazi's too.
Old 2005-05-08, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by juggalokilla
never heard of that one warborn. anything like world war style with some rpg type elements would be sweet if they keep it simple. Just blame thye Dutch on cloning experiments for a respawn excuse, ha. Just plaing, the Dutch rock! could always blame the Nazi's too.
It was out a couple years before Planetside, but it didn't do well at all and is mostly unknown if you're just a casual MMO gamer.

I also doubt they'd do a Planetside 2 if they're doing another online game. They'd probably want to disassociate their new game with Planetside so that they could crank SOE's very good marketing machine into full gear without worry of any Planetside-related stigma tainting their product. After all, SOE is about money in the end. Gotta go with what'll bring in the most bux, and making a new, fairly generic sci-fi setting for a new MMOFPS is probably worth the money to avoid any negative baggage from doing a PS2.
Old 2005-05-09, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

WW2Online didn't do too well because it was riddled with bugs and gameplay holes iirc but you're right that it was around before PlanetSide. However, Doom was not the first FPS, but it set the standard for games to follow, so is the case with PlanetSide (however you view certain decisions regarding bipedal assault vehicles )

The negative baggage is something they've had to face with EverQuest 2 also. So many people think it's just EQLive with better graphics when it's far from it. Indeed whilst it may not be called Planetside 2, it will be named as such by players anyway and so SOE cannot escape the stigma if they go with a futuristic setting.... at least one with the "lost in deep space with no hope of going back" theme
Old 2005-05-09, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
BrioCyrain
Private

If its something new or another Planetside, My thoughts is to welcome it...
Old 2005-05-10, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Lartnev
WW2Online didn't do too well because it was riddled with bugs and gameplay holes iirc but you're right that it was around before PlanetSide. However, Doom was not the first FPS, but it set the standard for games to follow, so is the case with PlanetSide (however you view certain decisions regarding bipedal assault vehicles )
Yeah, I agree with that. It wasn't the progenitor of the genre but it's definitely set the bar so far (however low that bar may be).

The negative baggage is something they've had to face with EverQuest 2 also. So many people think it's just EQLive with better graphics when it's far from it. Indeed whilst it may not be called Planetside 2, it will be named as such by players anyway and so SOE cannot escape the stigma if they go with a futuristic setting.... at least one with the "lost in deep space with no hope of going back" theme
The difference here is that ignoring Korea and prior to WoW, regardless of what many Internet nerds like myself thought of EQ, it was still the #1 MMORPG. EQ2 was trying to borrow the success of EQ1 and overall just build on the well-known Everquest name. There are lot's of ads for EQ2 that hail it as "the sequel to the #1 MMORPG of all time" or some bullshit like that, but that's exactly why it is EQ2 and not, uh, Super Fun Online Quest Extreme. There was enough good baggage to hopefully make EQ2 into a success equal to EQ1. Obviously that's not the case, however. All hail WoW, usurper of the throne, but still the bitch of awful Korean games.
Old 2005-05-10, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
BrioCyrain
Private

Lightbulb Check This Out

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/2...ns.html?page=2

To see a PlanetSide soldier/MAX that detialed

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/2...s.html?page=16

To see a PlanetSide vehicle/BFR that detialed
Old 2005-05-10, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

My Computer would be begging me to stop at those
Old 2005-05-10, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Interesting sidenote. The first MMOG (wont call it an FPS since all they had was planes and tanks) was called AirWarrior. This was about 12 years ago. I was on the original beta test for the game. It had 3 empires and multiple continents (identical to PS in this regard). The servers held about 3,000 folks and had the same problem with dynamic populations. Also, each sides equipment was different (with different abilities). You could capture bases (and each type gave various benefits). It was a ground breaking game that showed MMOGs could work. Boy things have changed since then (used to run it on a 286 with dialup modem).

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
Old 2005-05-10, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

It's a near impossible task to nail down the first EVER of each genre, but I think it's almost a unanimous agreement that PS is the Doom/quake of MMOFPS's as juggalo put it
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion