Becoming Disappointed. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remove head from sphincter, than post!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Becoming Disappointed.

Holy crap. I didn't really expect to see this kind of aggressive commenting for giving my opinion and perspective of the game in this stage of development.

I thought that's why we were here. My bad. Thanks to all who responded civilly.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-06-01 at 12:26 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Raymac
Brigadier General

Ol' Dirti Basti. I respect you and your opinions, but I think you are missing the mark a bit on this one. While I agree that having the same side of a continent all the time will lead to fighting in the same general area over the long run, I don't think it will be as stagnant as it was in PS1.

The main reason is the lattice in PS1 meant you had to fight over a very small spot in order to advance. The hex system opens up many many more options.

Instead of removing the footholds will just open up the issue of locking people out of a continent. I believe making the footholds dynamic, switching which empire has which, is a much more simple solution to the problem you address.

Old 2012-06-01, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

heh, blood, It gets intense does't it =P The OP had negative language in it so I guess people see it as an attack. Your concerns are valid, personally I dont share them
Old 2012-06-01, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
8. You always could bail instantly from anything in Planetside, so whats the problem?

I am not sure about all tanks, but for the driver of a Magrider to get out the speedo had to read 0 km/h. I can't tell you how many times I mashed the shit out of the exit button only to get exploded right before the mag stopped. That was one of the main reasons I remapped the brake to the spacebar. So in some sense...yes, there was a delay to exiting certain vehicles depending upon what seat you sat in.

*You could still exit the Mag if it was rotating.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-06-01 at 12:38 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Haha, yeah man it happens here. You are definitely right with your comment regarding lacking overall War gameplay but I think that is simply by design. Makes good business sense to appeal to the gameplay CoD and BF guys are used to.
Yes. I'm not disagreeing, we all want PS to be financially Viable. My concern is how far its going, IMO. I feel its loosing things that made PS great, and unique, and straying from the War game aspects it needs to keep.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-06-01 at 12:38 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Xaine
Major

Have to say, the OP bring up a lot of concerns I have myself.

Primarily not being able to kick an empire off cont.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
interest
Intrest != Disappointed.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
heh, blood, It gets intense does't it =P The OP had negative language in it so I guess people see it as an attack. Your concerns are valid, personally I dont share them
Thanks, I don't have a problem with your position.
Old 2012-06-01, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I hold on to hope thinking this game might actually make it beyond 3 cont launch an introduce some meta-game objectives after that. But I give the CoD guys more credit than SOE and some of you do. They will see through this veil of commonality in effort to generate revenue, lose interest then go back to next rev of their known game.
Can't you have a meta game without locking out continents?

Also, as we've all felt it, once you are bit by the MMOFPS bug, it's not easy to go back to the same old arena shooter. There will likely be players that prefer the arena type games, but having more people exposed to Planetside 2 will make it vastly more successful than the original.

Old 2012-06-01, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

There's no meta because what you do on one continent has virtually no effect on what happens on another (apart from shunting populations around).
Old 2012-06-01, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Zekeen
Major

This game makes me disappointed all the time... then it's like Higby pops out of nowhere with a giant bandaid and everything is better again if not improved!

I even accept shields now!
Old 2012-06-01, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Now that's some optimism I LIKE, but - people claim that with all "hand design" of the continents going on here, won't that be a major change requiring a lot of work and therefore, would require nothing less than a united community rebel yell to get changed?

And what would we replace it with?
Like Basti I honestly don't think the staging areas will last that long, they dont seem like a great long term game mechanic. I think they're only there because we have so few continents. The devs don't want people to get locked out of good fights with so few options. A way you could keep the gates and the staging areas and allow a 'continent' endgame is this:

When we have 8-10 continents the devs could do a meta game patch (like they did with the lattice system in the original) that amongst other things allowed you to take down the warp gates by attacking strategic points.. Or purely from bombarding it with loads of artillery fired from all the bases you own (kind of like Titan mode in BF2142). Think how epic that would look. This artillery bombardment could take resources or something, to limit how often command attempts it. It could be a consensus vote or something from commanders on the continent to invoke. You would only have the option to attempt a WG assault when you own the majority of bases on the continent. Think of it sort of similar to how continent capitals work in PS1.

When the defending factions warpgate is taken down then the staging area can be attacked. It would be a race against time to secure it before the warpgate comes back up, if the attackers fail then it would act like a captial shield coming up in PS1 for the enemies inside.. (they get turned to jelly ).

If its secured by the attackers. The defenders would then be locked out of the continent until it repairs itself (say an hour and a half). The attacking faction could 'attune' itself to the gate (similar to hacking, but all alien tech like) so they can enter and defend it in the future when it comes back up. The defenders retain a permanent attunement, and when they take back the holding area the attackers attunement is purged from the warpgates system. One thing that would have to change to make this viable is having the ability to warp into continents with vehicles. So like in the original game you could form up a massive raid and then invade a continent, otherwise it gives the people defending the locked continent too much of an advantage as the attackers would be foot zerging.

And yeah... i know, before you guys say it.. Pipe dream/arm chair development, but i like the idea !

Last edited by Snipefrag; 2012-06-01 at 01:40 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I am already disappointed with the closed mindedness of so many who haven't played the game yet.
This. This. This. You can't judge a game based on video. You have to play it. /thread
Old 2012-06-01, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
neonlazer
Corporal

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
This. This. This. You can't judge a game based on video. You have to play it. /thread
x2 Half the threads in this section are based on stuff that will be fixed before or in public beta.
Old 2012-06-01, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
Lets lock the forums down then.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion