Is SOE trying to force the game into a predictable pattern? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Let your mouse do the walking
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-28, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Re: Is SOE trying to force the game into a predictable pattern?

That has nothing to do with what I said or even anything in this thread. So your post perplexes me.
Old 2012-03-28, 03:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Kran De Loy
Captain

Yeah, having that territorial meta game would be amazing, but it's not something they'd be doing I think for at least a couple years.

Getting the ground work down for something like that wouldn't just be acceptable, it'd be down right awesome. My thinking tho is that it'll be between 1 and 3 years after launch before they even think of implementing anything that would do away with the secured footholds on each continent.

Even if it's something as simple as not including static warp gates into any new continents past the first three, toss a single warpgate into the middle of the 3 primary continents and let the three factions fight over who has control of which Prime Gate to use to invade the secondary continents. Then place rare resources or higher concentrations of existing resources on the secondary (virgin) continents and you have your Territorial Meta game while at the same time keeping a focus on the main area for newbs to learn in.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-28 at 03:43 AM.
Old 2012-03-28, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Even if it's something as simple as not including static warp gates into any new continents past the first three, toss a single warpgate into the middle of the 3 primary continents and let the three factions fight over who has control of which Prime Gate to use to invade the secondary continents. Then place rare resources or higher concentrations of existing resources on the secondary (virgin) continents and you have your Territorial Meta game while at the same time keeping a focus on the main area for newbs to learn in.
That's actually pretty genius
Old 2012-03-28, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by ThirdCross View Post
That's actually pretty genius
There have been rough simularities of the same concept in other games. Only one that comes to mind is er... I forgot what it was called. (Googled as Perpetuum). It was supposed to be EVE with robots instead of spaceships. The outlying island territories as well as having a robust resource system were supposed to be for PvP between outfits as well as between factions to encourage outfit land grabs. Also warp gates between islands weren't captureable, only the territory around them.

I played that for a couple months then stopped when I realized that I was gonna have to haul or gather resources 80% of the time just to play on any kind of competitive environment there.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-28 at 04:30 AM.
Old 2012-03-28, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Wanderer
Private

I believe the resource game could be made significant if the Devs bite the bullet and allow lack of X resource completely block some aspects of weapons, mod types and vehicles from being built.

For example, allowing players to actually strike a Mining Platform, or its power station and supply containers and it actually stops resource production until repaired and resecured. This would be an extra level for the tactical big-picture game. Destruction of assets creates a level of cost and consequence for territory gains beyond captures. It allows a Faction that has lost most territory to be disruptive and still relevant in a continent they basically lost 90% of. The big guys who own everything now have to watch hundreds of tactically viable points of interest, and they can't watch them all. Hence a guerrilla effort becomes viable because you get to piss in there water and make bigger plans to take Hexes later.
Old 2012-03-28, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Graywolves
General

I don't think a predictable pattern would make sense or even be viable. 3 empires are at war on a planet is all you really need to know.

But if it requires. I, a Terran overlord, will be our Historian of Auraxis.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
RovingDeath
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I believe the resource game could be made significant if the Devs bite the bullet and allow lack of X resource completely block some aspects of weapons, mod types and vehicles from being built.
This would add so much to the game in term of intelligence analysis to determine and attack the enemy's critical vulnerability. WTB this please!
Old 2012-03-28, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Raymac
Brigadier General

I'm sorry, but this whole thread is fraking stupid.

Why would SOE want a stale design? That makes zero sense.

Also, how would a "predictable pattern" even register to a new user? They log in, find out where ever the fight is and go there. To the player that jumps in for 30 mins, they don't care where the fight is, so why design the game to have the fight be in predictable areas.

This is what happens when somebody who has never played Planetside starts a panic thread. While I encourage and respect fresh perspectives, if you had even the slightest clue on how the hot spots worked, or how basic outfit communication worked, or hell even pug squads, then you would know that this is a complete and total non-issue.

Old 2012-03-29, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
SoiledOstrich
Private

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Just out of curiosity, did SOE change PS1 over time as much as they did Everquest?
Not really, from a story point no. Some weapon/vehicle balances and a few new ones. Other then that the game was still about blue, red and purple dudes hating each other.
Old 2012-03-29, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
You call it Streamlining the game.

I call it Dumbing Down the game.
"Streamlining" is a plague on games. There is a huge difference between making something intuitive and making it idiot-proof.
Old 2012-03-29, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
This is what happens when somebody who has never played Planetside starts a panic thread. While I encourage and respect fresh perspectives, if you had even the slightest clue on how the hot spots worked, or how basic outfit communication worked, or hell even pug squads, then you would know that this is a complete and total non-issue.
Raymac /threading like a boss.
Old 2012-03-29, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Also, how would a "predictable pattern" even register to a new user? They log in, find out where ever the fight is and go there. To the player that jumps in for 30 mins, they don't care where the fight is, so why design the game to have the fight be in predictable areas.

It's not so much that a new player would recognize stale design as much as they're afraid that the game might develop in a way that is very un-newcomer friendly.

I think they want to control everything so that it is a constant cycle of attacking the same bases every day so that it is easier to get into the fight when you are new.

Last edited by VioletZero; 2012-03-29 at 06:02 PM.
Old 2012-03-29, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
It's not so much that a new player would recognize stale design as much as they're afraid that the game might develop in a way that is very un-newcomer friendly.

I think they want to control everything so that it is a constant cycle of attacking the same bases every day so that it is easier to get into the fight when you are new.
OK. Maybe I wasn't clear enough so I will bold the important parts so you can understand.

Capisce?

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-03-29 at 06:12 PM.
Old 2012-03-29, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
dpranker
Private

One thing I don't understand is the insistence that the game is only being dumbed down. Yes, there isn't a free form inventory anymore or looting, but now you have free-form weapon attachments, upgrades, and sidegrades. You can't put extra ammo in your tank anymore, but now you can have a ton of secondary weapons, engine changes, armor changes and so forth. Anyone that says the game is ONLY being dumbed down is not looking at the big picture at all, in fact I would say they are barely paying attention.

In PS1, eventually 95% of foot soldiers had their rexo, HA, Med/Armor repairs, AV loadout, but now you're going to need to pick your weapons and upgrades for a much wider array of classes, and each one has their own unique twist so you can't do everything by yourself, you'll actually have to work as a team (GASP!)

I also won't be missing the old bland outdoor maps, since they are handcrafting each area to be fun to fight in, remember in PS1 that the way they designed the maps, to change it meant you had to redownload the whole thing, so they didn't even bother. Now we have facilities that are different, and interesting terrain all over the place.

I will say I am slightly worried that the footholds will cause consistent buffer zones to form where your empire is always fighting around the same areas, but the grid system not having lattice links helps that, a nd there are other things the devs could do in the beta such as rotating your footholds so I'm sure it will work out.

Don't be so pessimistic people
Old 2012-03-29, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
NCLynx
Major

What I took away from OPs post was that after playing for a a certain amount of time you won't ever see new things.

In the grand scheme of things, the point of this game is and always will be a war on a much larger scale than any other game. That will never change. Does that make it predictable? No.

Strategies will develop and then maybe a new vehicle or weapon comes out or a current vehicle/weapon gets tweaked or is changed somehow. That forces most if not all strategies revolving around that part of the game to change. Change being the keyword. Over the years of this game I don't doubt at all that things will always be changing however large or small that change is it will still change things.

Note: I only read OPs post, I'll go back and edit this post if needed after reading the thread.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion