Planetside 2 and Professional Gaming - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's a hamma sandwich!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-06, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info
Re: Planetside 2 and Professional Gaming

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
This is why I don't have any problem with 90% of the stuff I hear people complaining about. Why can't the game feature stuff that someone else will enjoy? You don't have to participate. As long as it's done in a way that isn't interfering with regular gameplay, bring it on.
This. Even if the games WERE instances, I do not see how it will detract from regular gameplay. If anything these types of games will attract MORE players to planetside. Not wanting to add a outfit wars type system is no different then saying "Cloakers don't have a place in Planetside 2 simply because I don't like cloakers".

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-10-06, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Captain B
First Sergeant

Who cares if you bring more players to PS2 if they're just gonna' be an instance the whole time?

I guess what I want out of PS2 (epic, massive, global-war style combat) is different than what you want out of PS2 (BF/CoD-style instanced maps where nothing you do is important outside of that 10 minute fight).
Old 2011-10-06, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SKYeXile
Major General

I think having random tourniment or outfit wars or say TOD's would be awesome, but having it run all the time would be a bad idea. For one you detract from the overall massive scale warfare and then you also have issues with XP and what not.

Now its not real rocket surgery to workout that if you have 60 people in a confined space, more times than not its going to be better XP to fight people in a confined space, then hunt 1000 people spread accross a vast open world. Devs seem to alsways make this mistake of giving the same rewards for fighting in the instances as open world, giving people a higher incentive to do instances...in notime open world pvp is dead...see WoW after battlegrounds were introduced.
Old 2011-10-06, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Captain B View Post
Who cares if you bring more players to PS2 if they're just gonna' be an instance the whole time?

I guess what I want out of PS2 (epic, massive, global-war style combat) is different than what you want out of PS2 (BF/CoD-style instanced maps where nothing you do is important outside of that 10 minute fight).
I think it would only work if instances were only created for the actual event. That way, all of those tourny players would have to spend time practicing in the real game, which would be good.

Just having an instance option in the regular game would be counter productive though. Besides, I would hope that if they did go down the esports road, that they found a successful way to hold the matches in the middle of the regular gameplay.
Old 2011-10-06, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Captain B
First Sergeant

Instead of making instances, why not just look at the empire as a "team" instead of the outfits? Then it'd be like news coverage of a war instead of some announcers talking about video games...

Which I gotta' say, e-sports is worse than the WNBA... That's some sad shit to watch right there.
Old 2011-10-06, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Instead of making instances, why not just look at the empire as a "team" instead of the outfits? Then it'd be like news coverage of a war instead of some announcers talking about video games...

Which I gotta' say, e-sports is worse than the WNBA... That's some sad shit to watch right there.
Maybe some sponsored objectives that the developers could implement for the event?

I like the idea everything being held in the main game space.

Again, as long as someone logging in isn't negatively affected by it, I think it would be okay.
Old 2011-10-06, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Captain B
First Sergeant

I'm all for devs making the game itself more intriguing and putting stuff into the game like, "An NS shipment of Auraxium has plummeted from orbit after a ship malfunction, and the resource is spread amongst the debris. Go 'n get it!" Not something "regular" but from time to time that people can all get behind. It's good for the game, stays within its massive scope, and is an extension of the normal gameplay rather than a separation from it.
Old 2011-10-06, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

What makes you think they're going to be instanced the whole time? And it's not even a COD/BF style game I'm talking about.

Outfit wars. Or even simple things such as the Kingpin tournament. As it turns out, a pretty high portion of gamers enjoy competition. Especially with rivalries against specific groups of players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX4Iu...ilepage#t=385s

These things aren't bad things like you and some other folks are making it out to be. If something like this were created, would some folks play a lot of it? Probably, will all the PS players play it? Probably not. Especially if they were held at specific dates and run by the GM's.

Guess what? You don't have to play if you don't want to (and face it, there's a good chance it will happen). Occasional events like these would change the pace up occasionally and give players something different to do rather then to fight for more territory control, which I can see as getting boring occasionally if you play a lot.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-10-06, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'm not against occasional OW, but I don't think they should be running constantly. Once a month at most.

And probably added after release if at all.
Old 2011-10-06, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Captain B
First Sergeant

"Will all the PS player play it?" What, you mean all 50-100 of us? That's not gonna' be very epic seeing a few hundred people TOTAL fighting over continents. I'm hoping for 200+ on every side, at once, at a minimum. Take away from that, and it's looking like the battlefield will be dead before year one is up. This is basic mathematics.

You're not gonna' get e-sports crap in a massive scale battle. People are gonna' whine because some noob lol'd and drop podded in behind them and got a few lucky rounds off. The skill of the individual is rendered insignificant in major battles. There's just too much chance involved to think you'll run through a massive battle time and time again unscathed, no matter how good or fast you are.

Who here hasn't screwed around or gotten bored driving around the land and started firing randomly, or missed a shot, and suddenly an infiltrator appears and dies from your stray shot? You didn't see him; he was doing his job staying invisible. But he still got killed for no other reason than you were bored gunning cross-country and wanted to see an explosion, or you suck at gunning and COMPLETELY missed your intended target, but sadly clipped the cloaker with an anti-tank shell.

Shit happens in PlanetSide, and life is cheap. This game isn't about e-peens or competition on the individual level; it's about pushing your empire forward. I've said it once and I'll say it again: the difference between excellent K/D ratios in other games and PS is "Wow, you're awesome at this game" compared to "Stop being a fucking pussy and push into the goddamn base, you lazy piece of shit." That gameplay does not support e-sports.
Old 2011-10-06, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
SKYeXile
Major General

"Will all the PS player play it?" What, you mean all 50-100 of us? That's not gonna' be very epic seeing a few hundred people TOTAL fighting over continents. I'm hoping for 200+ on every side, at once, at a minimum. Take away from that, and it's looking like the battlefield will be dead before year one is up. This is basic mathematics.

You're not gonna' get e-sports crap in a massive scale battle. People are gonna' whine because some noob lol'd and drop podded in behind them and got a few lucky rounds off. The skill of the individual is rendered insignificant in major battles. There's just too much chance involved to think you'll run through a massive battle time and time again unscathed, no matter how good or fast you are.

Who here hasn't screwed around or gotten bored driving around the land and started firing randomly, or missed a shot, and suddenly an infiltrator appears and dies from your stray shot? You didn't see him; he was doing his job staying invisible. But he still got killed for no other reason than you were bored gunning cross-country and wanted to see an explosion, or you suck at gunning and COMPLETELY missed your intended target, but sadly clipped the cloaker with an anti-tank shell.

Shit happens in PlanetSide, and life is cheap. This game isn't about e-peens or competition on the individual level; it's about pushing your empire forward. I've said it once and I'll say it again: the difference between excellent K/D ratios in other games and PS is "Wow, you're awesome at this game" compared to "Stop being a fucking pussy and push into the goddamn base, you lazy piece of shit." That gameplay does not support e-sports.
and i think thats the point of outfit wars, the individuals, classes and certs being rendered insignificant. when its that many people it comes down to teamwork and who plays better as a group, yes im sure there will be some people who dont pull their weight, thats upto the OL or SL to fix.

I loved it in outfit wars fighting "dream teams" but most of them still playing like the solo killwhore heros that they're, unable to adapt to a proper team environment.

if people still want further satisifaction of whos more skilled at straight up combat then you can have your TOD,s 3v3's or 1v1's whatever, though that really does not have a huge breaking on whos the better player in the proper field.
Old 2011-10-06, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Captain B
First Sergeant

I mean, if you want outfit wars, go for it; have your OL and the other OL organize a night where you meet up in a distant location and play it out. But if it is a separate map or a vacuum, it will detract from the game.

Whether it's a lot or a little is not the point; it's the fact that it will at all.
Old 2011-10-06, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Naeadil
Corporal

E-Sports = Awesome. They're actually starting to explode because of Starcraft 2 and League of Legends. You don't have to watch them, but at least give it some respect as a gamer. Shit.

Higby already stated they're focusing on the main game first, and probably adding what I assume would be a smaller scaled, instanced area of the main game for even Outfit fights. 30 versus 30, or something.

In case anyone here is a youngster, or just seem to forgot in your senile old age, Planetside 1 is based off another "larger scale" FPS game. Yep, Tribes. A game that was often played competitively and even shoutcasted.

Last edited by Naeadil; 2011-10-06 at 09:24 PM.
Old 2011-10-07, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Hamma
PSU Admin

Having participated in many Tribes 2 Matches, some that were shoutcasted I will say it is to date one of the funnest times I have ever had as a gamer. The adrenaline was pumping the entire time and the competition was fierce.

The AGN has always envisioned covering the wars of PlanetSide (And now PS2) in a similar fashion but the tools aren't there to do it easily.

This topic was filled with over reactions the last time we had it too - people don't seem to grasp the concept this isn't something that would be every day. It should be built in for very special events, not weekly matches or tournaments.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-07, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Having participated in many Tribes 2 Matches, some that were shoutcasted I will say it is to date one of the funnest times I have ever had as a gamer. The adrenaline was pumping the entire time and the competition was fierce.

The AGN has always envisioned covering the wars of PlanetSide (And now PS2) in a similar fashion but the tools aren't there to do it easily.

This topic was filled with over reactions the last time we had it too - people don't seem to grasp the concept this isn't something that would be every day. It should be built in for very special events, not weekly matches or tournaments.
^^

Would be cool imo
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion