News: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bringing sexy back.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-25, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG

Or maybe it will succeed. Either way, I'm not much of a fan of the decision.
Old 2013-01-25, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Oh man.. planetside and esports just don't fit. There are thousands of shooters around that already do it, like BF3 or CS. There is no need for PS2 to get into it too. They should just let it go.
Old 2013-01-25, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
bjorntju1
Captain

Oh fuck no
Old 2013-01-25, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

remember how i said fire whisenhunt when he was hired?

fire whisenhunt, and higby. and then burn the contract with MLG on a livestream.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-25, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Seriously, does ANYONE bloody see that ues IS the E-sport implementation?

I don't see that failing anyhow... I don't see posts yelling "OMG, ULTIMATE EMPIRE SHOWDOWN RUINS THE GAME, MY OUTFIT MATES LEFT BECASAUSE UES WAS ANNOUNCED! THIS BRINGS IMBALANCES TO THE GAME LIB IS OP BECAUSE OF THAT!"

I don't see any of that... Seriously peeps if you don't give a fuck about e-sports doesn't mean that it's bad. You can't even bring up 3 reason why eSports are bad without them being totally invalidatable BS, like "the game will be balanced around esports" or "it will draw people away from fighting"...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-25, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

MLG just doesn't seem to fit in PS2. The things that PS2 great are not what MLG is known for. But this game is unique so maybe it'll be a new genre
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-01-25, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

if they are serious however, they need to find a way to make it scale. if it cant accommodate the 5-8 man teams on small maps (one base) then its going to be 3-4 big clans playing each other all the time.

Thats boring.

If they have it scale appropriately, Ill gladly participate. But not when its 50v50. At that point it muddies the individual achievements necessary in team based competitive sports.

Last edited by Rahabib; 2013-01-25 at 03:16 PM.
Old 2013-01-25, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post

I don't see that failing anyhow... I don't see posts yelling "OMG, ULTIMATE EMPIRE SHOWDOWN RUINS THE GAME, MY OUTFIT MATES LEFT BECASAUSE UES WAS ANNOUNCED! THIS BRINGS IMBALANCES TO THE GAME LIB IS OP BECAUSE OF THAT!"

I don't see any of that... Seriously peeps if you don't give a fuck about e-sports doesn't mean that it's bad. You can't even bring up 3 reason why eSports are bad without them being totally invalidatable BS, like "the game will be balanced around esports" or "it will draw people away from fighting"...
i do recall saying i thought this was a FUCKING TERRIBLE idea.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-25, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
i do recall saying i thought this was a FUCKING TERRIBLE idea.
So how did it change the game?

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-25, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

So how did it change the game?
to call the above reasons invalid does not mean they are legitimate and valid concerns that will negatively affect the game. besides, i want ps to be more about fighting, not watching and epeen wagging/ego buffing. fuck that shit and that community, its toxic as fuck. we can do without it.

Old 2013-01-25, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Seriously, does ANYONE bloody see that ues IS the E-sport implementation?...
For e-sports to not fuck PS2 up it needs to ensure that 1: It doesn't fracture the playerbase (e-sports players vs. the actual players), 2: It doesn't detract from the main fight on whatever server it's held on and 3: (unlikely as it may be) e-sports can not be the main focus of the game itself. That is to say that the game should not, must not, be balanced or focused on the e-sports scene.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-01-25, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

uuuuhm Nevermind !Let´s see how this turns out.

Imho i would like to see the Game more Team Optimized like Group XP ect. Instead of Esport, Control of Territory stuffz....and so on,...
Old 2013-01-25, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Oh, that one is easy:

They have this idea up there in the 6 month plan to have instanced outfit fights. I mean that's basically what eSports are, you have 2 or more teams to compete in something. You can't really do that on a public server where everyone else is running around doing whatever they want and not even caring about an objective. At the end it is impossible to say who won and who really earned it. You need even teams with the same preconditions, otherwise it is not a real competition.

To make this clear: For eSports really to be on an even ground and competitive, instancing is essential. And Planetside stands for exactly the opposite: Huge maps with thousands of players.

Instances will draw the organized outfits from the normal servers into these instances, the overall gaming experience on the normal servers will be worse for everyone. I don't see ANY real benefit coming from this since there are many games that cater to eSports perfectly. PS2 has no real place there.

And another thing: Precious programming and mapping time will be taken from the actual game to build some sort of eSports and instancing system that should not be there from the start. This will make the game overall worse because less people are focusing on the important stuff. There you have it.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-01-25 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2013-01-25, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
...instancing is essential.
It is not, that's the point.

Old 2013-01-25, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

It is not, that's the point.
Then it's not eSports. If you want eSports you will get instances. It's their plan.
Btw, UES has nothing to do with eSports, what planet do you live on?

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-01-25 at 05:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion