Mines to explode only when driven over and disarmable - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm on the Planet's side ofcourse!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-14, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: Mines to explode only when driven over and disarmable

these proposed changes are very similar to how mines functioned in PS1, this is a very good thing for the game.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-03-14, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Striker KOJ
Private

Don't agree with this change in the slightest.

Does the setting of this game even matter anymore? Isn't this some distant planet in the far future inhabited by an advanced human race augmented by technology that provides (near) unlimited energy, and the ability to cheat death by preserving the memories and consciousness of an individual after their body is blown to pieces, transmitting that consciousness Wirelessly to some super computer that can reconstruct the individuals body and download the consciousness into the new body in seconds, plus all of the weapons and vehicles materializing out of thin air.

But these people can't figure out how to make an Anti-Vehicle explosive that detonates by proximity? "Well shit, we named it a mine, so I guess we have to go by the oldest, most narrow definition of this object, because we don't have the intelligence to improvise."

Really?

I'm tired of these steps backward in technology. I understand trying to achieve some sort of "game balance", but doesn't it at least have to make sense in the setting of the game? Should we all be riding in horse-drawn buggies, because 200 years ago there were no motor vehicles? Or have we made some technological strides since then, and have the ability to project what the technology might be like in the future.

This isn't WWII Online, this is the flipping future.
Old 2013-03-14, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Extremely happy with the change. Now let's get one or two more of them at the base cert level and we have ourselves a ballgame.

Striker - On a distant planet in the far future inhabited by an advanced human race augmented by technology that provides (near) unlimited energy, and the ability to cheat death by preserving the memories and consciousness of an individual after their body is blown to pieces, there would be no war.

Let's not go down the "this isn't consistant with a future narrative" well. It has no bottom and no ladder back out.

Last edited by maradine; 2013-03-14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 2013-03-14, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Skarn
Private

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Extremely happy with the change. Now let's get one or two more of them at the base cert level and we have ourselves a ballgame.
We need more then just that, the extremely low number of carriable mines combined with the high inf resource cost are why you see mines currently being used as satchel charges instead of actual mines. We need to at least double the amount for all cert lvls so we can actually be able to use them as mines. Being able to be disarmed by engies sounds like a good idea, but being disarmed by everyone with smallarms is dumb.

The changes can easily be explained by tech advancement. The VS developed new anti-FoF proximity energy fields were installed on most vehicles, making them invisible to the AV mines sensors, but the fields are disrupted by fast movement. NC and TR spies quickly obtained blueprints of this anti-mine tech and installed it on their own vehicles.

This will mean it's a no brainer to go with blockade over mine guard with my sundie, it's currently a hard choice sometimes.

Guess i'll be blowing more certs on C4 on my engie.

Last edited by Skarn; 2013-03-14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2013-03-14, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Striker KOJ
Private

Striker - On a distant planet in the far future inhabited by an advanced human race augmented by technology that provides (near) unlimited energy, and the ability to cheat death by preserving the memories and consciousness of an individual after their body is blown to pieces, there would be no war.

Let's not go down the "this isn't consistant with a future narrative" well. It has no bottom and no ladder back out.

But does that mean it has to be cast aside? Why?

I don't log into a futuristic shooter and expect muskets, and cry when there's laser beams. Like I said, I understand trying to achieve some semblance of balance, but this particular change seems like a step backward. I don't find the ability to throw a proximity explosive at a stationary vehicle "unbalanced", unlikely, impossible, or so so rare that the mechanic should just not exist, especially in this setting.

You say there would be no war, but that's entirely horse S and you know it. These are still (presumably) humans; humans go to war with each other. They took the time to create a back story explaining WHY there is a war, so there is a war. They even created a fake corporation who is responsible for the manufacture, and presumably development of all of these weapons of war. I find it hard to believe that a proximity/IFF anti vehicle explosive just never crossed their mind, especially when there is a proximity/IFF antipersonnel explosive...

In fact, these fictional factions are so creative and resourceful that they have developed THREE different types of IFF/poximity antipersonnel mines.

But whatever.

Last edited by Striker KOJ; 2013-03-14 at 10:49 AM.
Old 2013-03-14, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Striker KOJ View Post
But whatever.
Precisely.
Old 2013-03-14, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Striker KOJ
Private

Precisely.
Precisely, indeed. I have yet to see anyone present a case for the change that made any sense, but I guess exploring an issue from more than the perspective of "I don't like it, so change it" isn't a valid, or wanted, argument either. Hence, whatever.

I also don't believe that just because a developer makes a tweet means it's a good idea. But as I enjoy other aspects of this product, I suppose I will grin and bear it.
Old 2013-03-14, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Good news.

Finally mines will be mines.
Old 2013-03-14, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
HiroshiChugi
Captain

But i love exploding frisbees!!!!!! :d
Old 2013-03-14, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
But i love exploding frisbees!!!!!! :d
Never visit a dog park

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-14, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Cupbearer
Private

The only people that bitch about this is are the ones that don't spec their sundy's into mine guard and want to see endless +2 exp from them. If you didn't like the Kamakazi engi then put down a couple proximity type mines to fend them off or just park in a better spot.

But as long as tank mines + underbarrel grenade launcher works then that is fine I guess. I hardly get killed until after the sundy is down and about 3 or 4 people nowadays even though it's such a big threat...

@canaris as soon as 2 c-4's guarantee the sundy blows then maybe. Or change out the certs so that we don't have to give up flak armor for utility pouch to be able to take one out. Add a third c-4 for 1000 cert points or something like that... Maybe...
Old 2013-03-14, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by JesNC View Post
While I agree that throwing AT mines like frisbees is lame right now, this change -combined with the change to c4 - is going to make AT mines lame, period.
Hopefully people will start using them defensively on roads against upcoming assaults as they did in ps1. With the new hex system you should be able to predict battle flow better and you could potentially mine up an area pretty good before an enemy assault.
Old 2013-03-14, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Striker KOJ
Private

Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Hopefully people will start using them defensively on roads against upcoming assaults as they did in ps1. With the new hex system you should be able to predict battle flow better and you could potentially mine up an area pretty good before an enemy assault.
Let us not forget, if the argument for this change is to make it more inline with Planetside 1...

Mines also exploded via proximity in Planetside 1, in addition to being used as defensive area denial.
Old 2013-03-14, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Good change IMO. I don't believe taking out a sundie should be a one man suicide job. It should be a group effort in my eyes. Yes there is mine guard but this makes mine guard mandatory which shouldn't be the case.
Old 2013-03-14, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Cupbearer
Private

Oh, and BTW, if we are advanced enough players to figure out that the Sundy is the tide changer of the game as a suicide engi then we will just figure out another way to blow them up. Even if you make me give up my Max flak armor for a utility pouch so that I can carry 4 or 5 - c-4 charges. I'll have a better chance of getting away before I blow it. It will take more time to get there, but we will still destroy the Sundy as the number 1 threat to an attack.

Why not start learning how to protect them a little better. They are the number 1 target to both ground and air personel. No one randomly kills my racer 3 with mineguard 4 sundy with a few bouncing bettys placed around it...

And now what we will get from this change is even less defense from the armor column zerg. We can just move aside until they disperse because they can't stay together any more and retake the territories.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion