Now that I have played Planetside, I'm not sure PS2 can work. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the: Hippy Administrators.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-19, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
PSxCarebear
Private

Re: Now that I have played Planetside, I'm not sure PS2 can work.

I'm certainly hoping that the statements Smed made about eventually reducing it down to one server with multiple planets and such a huge pop come true.. That would be glorious.
Old 2011-08-19, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Heaven
Master Sergeant

Another reason for a lot of people leaving was hackers! If SOE work on keeping the hackers at bay, then the game wont be ruined by pussy ass players that have to cheat to get kills. I got sick of hackers plus my computer died, that's the reason I don't play now.
Old 2011-08-19, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Crator
Major General

Advertising, advertising, advertising... PS1 had none. I found out about PS1 from a fellow gamer friend and was hooked the 1st time I logged into open beta. The massive scale (pop) was what gave me goose-bumps, even thinking about it now.
Old 2011-08-19, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

SOE just needs to advertise PS2 and it will be fine. They basically did no advertising for PS1.
Old 2011-08-19, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Hamma
PSU Admin

They advertised PS1 early on.

When they failed, they stopped advertising.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-19, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Heh, 60 hours of playing back in 2003-4 was about 3 1/4 real life days for most. My friends and I couldnt get enough of the large zergfests that were going on in multiple places. Sometimes one zerg would get so huge you'd lag and be sort-of "forced" to switch to another one. And that's just the zergs, you'd be able to get into large medium and small fights every time you got on for a couple of years.

After the core combat expansion and getting married I stopped playing, but have subbed up every once in a while and it's never been like the glory days. The 45 day free sub after the hacking incident was pretty fun with pops going up again. Even then tho, you either were running around with BR40's who have all the certs or newbs who don't have enough. Teamwork is kinda gone as everyone has their own one man army.

I'm kinda curious what BR you got to in 60 hours.....I'd bet that you never had the opportunity to fly over a heavily contested base in your mossie, bail out and cloak, make for the equipment terminal in the spawn room full of enemies, hack the console, switch to your max and unload as much as you can on the little smurfs or barnies running around.

It's a little different to jump into the game this late as the teamwork and bond formed when you got with an outfit of lowbies who you helped and groomed and learned your tactics with. Everyone had their spot, HA, MA, AA, MAX, Pilot, Medic, Engineer, etc. and you worked together to get stuff done. Now most people have the ability to do at least 6 of these things if not all. It's just not the same. Get 10 of your friends to jump on with you and work together as a squad as you advance in BR/CR and see if your perception is different.

Teamwork and those dang endless bridge battles made this game F-U-N!

Last edited by kubacheski; 2011-08-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 2011-08-19, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by kubacheski View Post
I'm kinda curious what BR you got to in 60 hours.....I'd bet that you never had the opportunity to fly over a heavily contested base in your mossie, bail out and cloak, make for the equipment terminal in the spawn room full of enemies, hack the console, switch to your max and unload as much as you can on the little smurfs or barnies running around.
Personally, that style of game play isn't my cup of tea.

I always liked building things in Tribes, healing in WoW, and crafting/beast master in SWG, so I spent a lot of time fixing/healing things in PS1. Trying to help keep maxes closer to the battle, keeping turrets up (and occupied), repairing tanks and planes, etc. Manning a gun in a vehicle is fun too, but I'm not really keen on piloting. I make a great target in a mosquito. I much prefer driving and ATV. I decided to try and focus on getting better with just the Pulsar/Punisher in base battles, while making an effort to stick with a group and heal/rez. Often I was the guy in a base assault to look around at all the people standing at the door and said, "fuck it - I'll go in first if none of you are willing!" and off I went, group in tow. lol... Positive KD ratio? What's that?

Last night I was the guy who said, "gotta get up on that ridge with the snipers..." *runs through the open field up the hill and then decides to zoom in for a better view* "Oh. Well, may as well stop running... those are enemy snipers!". Yeah, some times I should go to bed when I am tired. And, I did!

In all, I am just shy of BR12 on my VS and made BR5 on my first toon in NC. Not a lot of XP in "healing", but that's OK, because I'm having fun with the certs that I have (Need more Engineering!).

"Teamwork and those dang endless bridge battles made this game F-U-N!". Teamwork yes, but stalemates, no. I'd rather lose a battle than to get no where at all for whole the 4 hours I'm logged in. Stalemates get boring at about the 2 hour mark.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2011-08-19 at 08:12 PM.
Old 2011-08-19, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Kouza
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
They advertised PS1 early on.

When they failed, they stopped advertising.
I started playing PS1, After I saw a exert in a Gaming Magazine, and saw a thing on G4TV about it. (brief thing on G4TV)
Old 2011-08-20, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
zuesrocks
Private

Originally Posted by PSxCarebear View Post
I'm certainly hoping that the statements Smed made about eventually reducing it down to one server with multiple planets and such a huge pop come true.. That would be glorious.
no
Old 2011-08-20, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Almost 15K people already like this game on FB. This not only before Beta has even been announced, this is based off of one trailer and some screen shots. By the time the game progresses, goes through Beta, more info comes out, gets more publicity in the main gaming mags and sites, those numbers should easily double.

By the time the game gets close to launch, if SOE properly advertises the game and gets people excited about it those numbers could easily double again. The population at launch will not be a problem. Now how that pop sustains will depend on how good the game is, but I believe that as the hype builds we will have a huge population to start, easily enough to fill a couple servers.

Currently a few hundred people can make for an interesting battle in PS1, we are going to see WAY more people than that involved when PS2 launches. It may even feel like too much at first.
Old 2011-08-20, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

If they dont have 100,000 people at launch i'll be disappointed
Old 2011-08-22, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
If they dont have 100,000 people at launch i'll be disappointed
I propose we duel for our names in PlanetSide 2 good sir. See you in in-game, if you dare!

@Tatwi - Make sure you watch the video at the bottom of my text.

Man, 60 hours in this sad husk of the glory that was once PlanetSide?

When the game launched there were so many players that when we got zerged into a biolab there were like 15 medics sitting in the medical room waiting for people/maxes to run in there to get healed while the HA/MA grunts defended the entrances.

I watched 20-30 vanguards roll over hills as 20-30 reavers flew close air support in tangent with 5 or so galaxies getting ready to drop off their cargo which happened to be upwards of 50 infantry with combined MAX support, and sometimes light vehicles in the back cargo area.

Tatwi you need to watch this video. Its just ONE outfit that existed in PlanetSide amongst HUNDREDS, look how large of a force they contained as just a SINGLE outfit.

For a good look at their airborne contingent, make sure you watch until around 1:47
Old 2011-08-22, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
I propose we duel for our names in PlanetSide 2 good sir. See you in in-game, if you dare!
LOL, i'm sure we will be fine. Note the 'a' plus i'll be playing Europe naturally.

It will be interesting how the names thing is handled though
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-22, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Enclave made a funny parody of that Sturmgrenadier vid, at least the beginning.

They were a large outfit also, bigger as NC I believe but not uncommon to see 3 full gal drops on any location in a continent.
Old 2011-08-22, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Infektion
Sergeant Major

This game will work, and I justify it with blind faith, just like any other person with religious views . But anyways, I hardly believe that wow ever had this "PVP" you speak of. lol, Asheron's Call has some real PK shiiiiit yo.

"STFU or go RED!"
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion