New Research Says That Analytic Thinking Decreases Religious Beliefe - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Plug and Play
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-15, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: New Research Says That Analytic Thinking Decreases Religious Beliefe

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
And? That can be said about anything, not just religion. So, why does religion matter? You'll never change anyone's beliefs, so just give up. This is pointless bickering... I don't even see why I read these threads. There are much more important things to be discussing, such as drunk drivers. They're much more annoying and important an issue than this.
What we believe, and how those beliefs shape our society, could be argued as the only conversation truly worth having if all you can have is one. It cuts to the core of what we are, who we are, and what we do.

Religious thinking is the source of a great deal of controversy, disagreement, and global suffering. Perhaps not as pronounced in this country (unless you're a homosexual, you could probably cruise through life not even noticing) but around the world it is a major problem. People die over this stuff. People kill over it.

To simply throw up your hands and declare it unimportant, well, that's your choice. The door's over there, I'm sure you can see yourself out. But if you want to have an opinion, let's hear it. You did read what this forum is called, yes?
Old 2012-05-16, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Zulthus
Colonel

Any religion in general is a waste of time. That is my opinion. It's such a big fucking deal because people can't deal with not having absolute control over someone's belief, being wrong, etc. If it was something that everyone just kept to themselves and nobody tried to fucking convert or spew bullshit about "stop believing in what I don't" then we wouldn't have a damn problem. People wouldn't die and there wouldn't be disagreements. But unfortunately, that is the way of us idiotic humans. Everyone's opinion is wrong but your own. So there's really no point in even posting my opinion, because by default, it's wrong.

I in no way mean to be hostile to anyone, and I respect what you think, but damn. You're right. The religious people who waste taxpayer money are goddamn annoying. So are the atheists. And anyone else.

That's why I'm not atheist, nor do I believe in any religion. I simply don't care. I don't reject anything nor believe in anything. I feel as if it's a waste of time.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Any religion in general is a waste of time. That is my opinion. It's such a big fucking deal because people can't deal with not having absolute control over someone's belief, being wrong, etc. If it was something that everyone just kept to themselves and nobody tried to fucking convert or spew bullshit about "stop believing in what I don't" then we wouldn't have a damn problem. People wouldn't die and there wouldn't be disagreements. But unfortunately, that is the way of us idiotic humans. Everyone's opinion is wrong but your own. So there's really no point in even posting my opinion, because by default, it's wrong.

I in no way mean to be hostile to anyone, and I respect what you think, but damn. You're right. The religious people who waste taxpayer money are goddamn annoying. So are the atheists. And anyone else.

That's why I'm not atheist, nor do I believe in any religion. I simply don't care. I don't reject anything nor believe in anything. I feel as if it's a waste of time.
If you don't believe in gods, you're an atheist. There's no club to join and no cards to carry. You don't have to buy any books; there's no required reading. There's no meetings to attend, no twitter feeds to follow, no blogs to read, if you don't want to.

Atheism is the default position. Every human being on earth is an atheist; most of them however are atheists about every single god except one. Those us us who actually call ourselves atheists just go one god further.

Now if you don't care, that's fine. Nobody is asking you to care. Some of us do, however. Some of us consider the conversation an important one.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Figment
Lieutenant General

If he doesn't care and doesn't lean either way, wouldn't that make him agnostic?
Old 2012-05-17, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Not necessarily. I don't care, nor do I have any feelings, about huge, sentient living space-cop planets. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm a Mogo agnostic.
Old 2012-05-17, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Not necessarily. I don't care, nor do I have any feelings, about huge, sentient living space-cop planets. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm a Mogo agnostic.
No, that's exactly what I am. I'm not atheist because I don't reject the belief of any god. I just don't give a shit.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

You know if you don't give a shit. Why are you posting?

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-05-17, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
You know if you don't give a shit. Why are you posting?
Indeed, I don't give a shit about the topic. But I was asked for my opinion, so I gave it. Then I was called an atheist, and I said why I'm not. There's nothing left to say.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Indeed, I don't give a shit about the topic. But I was asked for my opinion, so I gave it. Then I was called an atheist, and I said why I'm not. There's nothing left to say.
So you don't have faith in a god?

Old 2012-05-17, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
So you don't have faith in a god?
He's completely neutral on the matter. He thinks it might be there or not, but doesn't care. Therefore, he is agnostic. If it ever is found out he'll go "sweet, nice, still don't really care".

If he believed in a something, but had no idea what, he'd been a deist.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Vash02
Major

No, that's exactly what I am. I'm not atheist because I don't reject the belief of any god. I just don't give a shit.
If you don't believe in a god you are an atheist. The "atheist and agnostic are mutually exclusive" idea is a common misconception. Usually bred by people like yourself who don't want to be pulled into the religion discussion.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
If you don't believe in a god you are an atheist. The "atheist and agnostic are mutually exclusive" idea is a common misconception. Usually bred by people like yourself who don't want to be pulled into the religion discussion.
Rather, there's agnostic atheism and agnostic theism. I'm the former, if you want to force the title of atheist on me.

A better way to put my position so that it appeases this argument is that I don't believe in any gods, but I do think the existence of them is completely unknowable. I don't outright reject the belief of any god so I'm not a pure atheist.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
He's completely neutral on the matter. He thinks it might be there or not, but doesn't care. Therefore, he is agnostic. If it ever is found out he'll go "sweet, nice, still don't really care".
Yes, this pretty much sums it up... thank you for actually understanding...
Old 2012-05-17, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Vash02
Major

Rather, there's agnostic atheism and agnostic theism. I'm the former, if you want to force the title of atheist on me.

A better way to put my position so that it appeases this argument is that I don't believe in any gods, but I do think the existence of them is completely unknowable. I don't outright reject the belief of any god so I'm not a pure atheist.
And you have the same exact position as the majority of atheists. The only difference is that you don't want to be bothered talking about it.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
And you have the same exact position as the majority of atheists. The only difference is that you don't want to be bothered talking about it.
Not quite. An atheist is convinced there is no god as the lack of evidence and the incongruity of it all is put forth as evidence of the contrary.

An agnostic has not decided and can lean either way.

A theist believes in a god, any god.

A deist believes, based solely on reason, in a God who created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelations.

*edited for clarity*

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-17 at 06:59 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum