Space Combat REDUX - no flaming please. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bringing sexy back.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-17, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
oddfish
Colonel

if the devs don't A) read this
and if they do read it but B) don't take it seriously
i'm going to be a little bit *ahem* upset...

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-03-17, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Seer
Major

I'm against any idea that adds space to this game. It does NOT need more.
Old 2004-03-17, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
oddfish
Colonel

okay.. that's good to know... thank you?

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
LimpBIT
Lieutenant Colonel

All i can say is if they could make it work i would love it. But if they did it and it was wrong then it can go to hell

Old 2004-03-17, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
oddfish
Colonel

precisely.

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Mognoc
Sergeant

Awesome idea. My only suggestion is package the EVA with the ReXo suit, but still have it as a second cert for 2 points for the people who only want the EVA.
Old 2004-03-17, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
oddfish
Colonel

Awesome idea. My only suggestion is package the EVA with the ReXo suit, but still have it as a second cert for 2 points for the people who only want the EVA.
that brings up issues of redundancy though

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
cpt crusader
Private

Very nice concepts floating here - I certainly hope this space element takes off the ground one day. The two moons of Auraxis could definately play a role somewhere, if not then a nice back drop in space.

Keep it up mate!

Im not running away, im advancing in the other direction..
Old 2004-03-17, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
oddfish
Colonel

yeah.. the space setting would be very pretty

My Blog
Old 2004-03-18, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

I'm not sure about the EVA being bundled with RExo...but, it would fit into the cert structure better if it did. I'll mull that one over.

Seer - Space Combat would be radically different from the surface and Core Combat. The simple fact that 90% of the play area will kill most players is one difference. The surface is an even mix of everything, the Core was really designed for infantry combat (might be where the "urban combat" mislabel came from). The Space is designed for serious CQB (the ships will make most of the bases seem downright luxurious), and pilots who enjoy large dogfights without too many groundpounders mucking things up.

Remember all those Reavers you love to hate? Guess where pilots would like to be. According to some people, the fewer (and I quote) "rocket spamming kill whores" on the surface, the better. This gives them a nice format to play around in.

I'll be revising the ideas of the original design sheet and adding in the new stuff (I think I forgot to mention the modified Salvation...idea that snuck in with asteroids) and hopefully be posting the revised sheet today....assuming I can avoid real work for that long. If anyone else has ideas, feel free....I think there have been five or six additions to this (minor, but I like them a lot) since you guys have been talking it over. The more brains the merrier!
Old 2004-03-18, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Most realistic spacecombat post I've read, would be alot of fun

One suggestion though, put some of those satalite stations in the heavy asteroid fields with just a few hard to navigate corridors for spacecraft to come and go. It could lead to some intense EVA suit combat around them.

Edit: also, do you have any plans for EVA specific weapons and/or some sort of ACE for use in orbital combat? Mines, sentry guns, sensors ect.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-03-18 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2004-03-18, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Incompetent
Most realistic spacecombat post I've read, would be alot of fun

One suggestion though, put some of those satalite stations in the heavy asteroid fields with just a few hard to navigate corridors for spacecraft to come and go. It could lead to some intense EVA suit combat around them.

Edit: also, do you have any plans for EVA specific weapons and/or some sort of ACE for use in orbital combat? Mines, sentry guns, sensors ect.
Yes, yes we do. Without giving too much away, there's a ship available to CEs that's a modified Salvation that can dispense all sorts of goodies, and yes, there will be stations in "terrain" as well as some other new surprises.
Old 2004-03-18, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
PhoenixTypeX
Corporal

I love your idea's however Planetsides player base gets very thin at certain times, and this would stretch the concentration of players on a server or even continent at one particular time, removing the zergs which is ok but also the slightly smaller zerg "epic battles" we all love.
Old 2004-03-18, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

With the new BWG system, there's been a large reduction in viable fighting continents to begin with (pop locks and all that).

This is only going to add one extra "continent" to fight on, unless it becomes so popular that it is consistently locked, in which case two.

The thing is that expansions bring more players to a game...well, GOOD expansions do...bad expansions scare them away. People who wanted to play PlanetSide, but are more interested in fighter combat would probably prefer the Space Combat as there would be few AA assets around, leading to more "pure" dogfighting.

Plus you get the visceral excitement of being on a transport in a convoy headed to an enemy ship and getting jumped by a squadron of enemy fighters...twisting all around trying to scare them off and yet still continue your approach to the air lock...never knowing if you're going to make it or be turned into space dust.

PlanetSide: Orbital Attack - "In the never-ending war in space, you won't be missed if you die"

Someone PLEASE come up with a better tagline.

EDIT: Would people prefer if the revised document was posted here (like before) or if the actual file was hosted somewhere to be downloaded and read? I'd like to avoid posting the whole thing over AGAIN, but without the original it becomes hard for people to compare the changes as the original is on a different page.

Last edited by Krinsath; 2004-03-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 2004-03-18, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
oddfish
Colonel

PlanetSide - 133t 5p4c3 C0mb4t!!11 W00T!!11! "ph34r t3h 0ut3r sp4c3"

My Blog
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion