Jetpack idea - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What happens if I press THIS button?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-22, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by PhatBoy
It would be good for agile, but to stop people from shooting and using it at the same time, maybe the controller for jetpack takes up one pistol holster, so you have to draw the controller, fly, then take out your weapon. Also, make fuel canisters big so they take up a lot of inventory space.
You can't use it with a weapon out, and you have to wait until you hit the ground to get one out.

Since they're doing merit commendations, they could possibly make it available to use after n kills with a Special Assault weapon, which would make it so not everyone has one.

+200 Cool Pts

Last edited by Dharkbayne; 2004-07-22 at 11:33 AM.
Old 2004-07-22, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sputty
Banned

Great ideas.
Old 2004-07-22, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I like the hybrid concept.

The user might be able to plot their destination, at least on a 2D plane, like CR4s and 5s use their orbital strike: when activated, the pack gives the wearer a map with the range of their suit (I only assume one blast, nothing more - too complicated otherwise); they can input the destination and then wait three seconds for jump (put in a little turbine whine sound effect). Jumping in three dimensions (like onto a tower) would require a three-second dumbfire blast and some skill on the part of the jumper to know where they would land. The suit might be controlled with a pistol-sized unit, which makes three pistol slots advantageous.

Defensively, you could deploy these airmobile troops into rear echelons and remove spawn points, harass incoming vehicles and MAXes, etc. Defense isn't wholly about sitting on the walls.
Old 2004-07-22, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Vis Armata
I like the hybrid concept.

The user might be able to plot their destination, at least on a 2D plane, like CR4s and 5s use their orbital strike: when activated, the pack gives the wearer a map with the range of their suit (I only assume one blast, nothing more - too complicated otherwise); they can input the destination and then wait three seconds for jump (put in a little turbine whine sound effect). Jumping in three dimensions (like onto a tower) would require a three-second dumbfire blast and some skill on the part of the jumper to know where they would land. The suit might be controlled with a pistol-sized unit, which makes three pistol slots advantageous.

Defensively, you could deploy these airmobile troops into rear echelons and remove spawn points, harass incoming vehicles and MAXes, etc. Defense isn't wholly about sitting on the walls.
I dislike this idea, simply because using a jetpack should be something you need to get the hang of. Making them imperfect due to your inability to plot your destination perfectly would help separate the good jetpackers from the great ones. Over or underestimate your trajectory and you could miss what might have been a very good jump and instead land up dead.

I also think a lot of the ideas in this thread will make the jetpack merely an extension of existing infantry and not with a specific role in mind. Unless you guys want jetpacks to be everywhere, there have to be restrictions while using it, not just prerequisites for it (as prerequisites merely delay the inevitable). Making it so that jetpack users can carry whatever they want would make them merely a tool that HA Agile whores would use and abuse to their heart's content, rather than something which really has its own role in the game.

That's why I feel it's really necessary to compensate for the admittedly pretty substantial benefit a soldier would have, being able to hop over walls or impassable terrain or simply cover ground toward a target very quickly. If all it takes to get a jetpack is a few certs or a medal for Special Assault, why wouldn't the vast majority of people who prefer Agile to Reinforced use a jetpack? And wouldn't that be a huge problem for defenders, having HA Agiles jumping onto walls and mowing down snipers, rushing the cc and so forth? There needs to be some manner of weapon restriction while using it, not just to prevent the above, but to firmly demonstrate that jetpacks are meant to have their own use aside from standard fare infantry. They wouldn't be for everyone, and thus everyone wouldn't use them.
Old 2004-07-22, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
SkunkPunk
Major

I Like fluffy puppy dogs.

Master Of The Shunk //LOL! // [LD.] // Email // {Coming to Planetside Soon, Beware}

Last edited by OneManArmy; 2004-07-23 at 04:10 PM.
Old 2004-07-22, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by SkunkPunk
how bout no dharkbayne you silly cunt scab

Stop being a spamming troll.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-07-26, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
SkunkPunk
Major

im sorry dhark, i love you

Master Of The Shunk //LOL! // [LD.] // Email // {Coming to Planetside Soon, Beware}
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion