Damage - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than all the rest
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: No region specific damage
Good 14 21.88%
Bad 36 56.25%
Don't know. I'll ahve to wait and see 14 21.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-02-06, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by TheGreatCarbini
Well think of a chaingun spraying at a target, theres a dang good chance your gonna hit the head, wheather on accident or on purpose. and any decent skilled skinper can take a headshot to a target in an open field, especialy somehting like a slow max armor or a enginer fixing something. a 2 hit kill to a MAX and it cant do much about it? hehe dont think the MAX would be very happy.

And yes I know you don't want your enemy to be happy, you know what i mean.
No one's talking about 2 shots to kill a max. Hell, after all the hype about the stupid maxes, I'm not sure I'm going to shoot one with anything less than a tank.

But the engineer shouldn't be stupid enough to be fixing something out in the open. What does he expect?? You go sit in the open in any game (or real life battle if you believe in reincarnation) and see what happens to you.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-06, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
TheGreatCarbini
First Sergeant

Well thats what im trying to say hehe, this isn't real life. And have you seen most of the screenshots? most of the land is open except for the jungly areas. It's a hard point im trying to argue here in text, region specific damage just wouldnt work in this game, people would die to fast. Fast death in a large (in this case VERY large) game just isnt a good idea... Lets play the game a bit then im sure we'll all get a new perspective of opinions hehe.
Old 2003-02-06, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

yep, though I LOVE region specific damage, it only works in games were you have smaller groups of people on the battlefield. With the numbers we are talking about, rand shots would hit heads of people you didnt even mean to hit. There will be so much going on that if there was a faster way to die, i could see entire armies getting rebirthed every few secs... I jsut dont think that region specific damage would work for this scope of game. I have to go with TheGreatCarbini all the way with this one =)

Besides, whit this much going on, im sure everyone will die fast enough, no need makeing it any faster lol
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-02-06, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Head and body would be fine, but not for MAX. They are walking mini-tanks after all. I just want my head.
Old 2003-02-07, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Ghostling
Private

yah i'm gonna have to agree with carbini on this one rehional dmg just wouldn't be right for this game.
Old 2003-02-07, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Ghostling
Private

er...thats regional dmg.

*note to self spell check work before posting
Old 2003-02-07, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
WhiteSun
Sergeant

Giving people a reason to work harder at aiming is a Good Thing, IMO. Durnk now, signing odd.
Old 2003-02-07, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Ludio
First Sergeant

Just because you have regional damage doesn't mean that you have to have people die faster. If you balance it correctly then it people will live the same amount of time on average, but there would be more skill involved in the shooting.

For your example TheGreatCarbini you said that people would get headshots by accident with guns such as the chain gun, which is true, but if it was balanced then those shots wouldn't matter as much because there could be reduced damage on the rest of the person so that they would die at the same speed.

And if you think it is annoying being killed by a headshot, imagine getting killed by a toe shot. The balancing that head/limb shots would need in order to be implemented would mean that if you got hit in the arm/leg it wouldn't matter so much, and if you got hit in the head it would hurt more. By the logic of the open field being a haven for snipers, what about partial cover? In the current system even if only a knee is sticking out around a corner you will still die just as quickly as if you stuck you head out, it will be harder to hit, but do the same amount of damage. A regional damage system can prevent death just as much as it can cause it.

The ultimate reason for a regional damage system is the skill aspect. The devs have constantly been telling us that this is a skill based MMOG, without the regional damage it will still be based on skill, but not as much.

Nobody wants counterstrike with people getting deadly headshots left and right, just more focus on the skill of the player.
Old 2003-02-07, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
HopperWolf
Private

I think the most important part of regional damage is when it comes to snipering. I mean think about it. There's a sniper or three on the rediges surrounding a valley waiting for a convoy (hypothetical) They want to clear some support for said convoy so that their own force will have less opposition when they pour over the ridges. Now, once a sniper's position is known they are rather vulnerable, and so will want to move into cover after shooting.

A major part of the SKILL involved in snipering is getting a head shot and making a clean kill. Who wants to spent 10 second reloading if you know you are going to have to shoot one or more times, by which time your target has dived for cover when they should be dead, or has gotten a fix on you and peppering your position with bullets, forcing you to hide.

I think there should be head shots for the sniper rifle at least. Not for the MAX's, because as has been said, they're tanks, and rightly so, but the rifle is powerful and should be able to puch through a normal helmet on infantry.

It could be argued that the effect would be the same if the rifel kills in one shot anywhere on the body, but really, that is going to seriously detract from the skill needed for a good sniper AND will be a little too unfair for the target who may get shot in the foot and still end up dead.

I think it's important that snipering should retain regional shot BUT i agree that in general combat the no regional shots are a good thing, because in any fps you play these days the death count is extremely high, laregly due to some people having better aim. And your death count is likely to be high too (though not AS high) but in a game like PS you don't want to see those kinds of death counts because it would just be a frag fest, which I can get back at MOH. the point of games like those is that the respawning acts like an army is there.... you die someone (you again) takes your place. We already have the armies here. And the smaller conflicts are just that, smaller conflicts, battles between squads. People need a better chance of living and relying more on skill in this game. Just my opinion of course
Old 2003-02-07, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Ratchet
Private

I think that no region specific damage is a bad idea.

But then again, i was all for 2-3 shot kills, as im more of a realistic shooter fan, than a blasty shooter fan.

I like the idea, (or should i say fear?) that you might get "accidently" head shooted (is that even a word?) as it increases the tactical value of supressive fire.

The TR would own at supressive fire tho, and this may have unfairly unbalanced the game.
Old 2003-02-07, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

I think that it is tough for any of us to be able to say what is going to be unbalancing gameplay at this point, except for maybe hamma, i don't think any of us have any idea of what kind of balance the game really has at this stage.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing region specific damage be dependant on weapons. Being able to headshot with sniper rifles would be good. I really couldnt care less for the rest of the guns. Headshotting in general would be cool, but i'd like to see the damage model not be exaggerated. For instance, with the SMG in mohaa you had to aim for the face, and any general body hits you landed may as well been complete misses.
Old 2003-02-07, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

I think I agree with carbini though. How long does it take for you to die in PS? I'd hope that you can take more punishment in this game than you can in most headshot happy fps. I mean.. you are in armor
Old 2003-02-07, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Hamma
PSU Admin

Not another one of these threads

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-02-07, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Ratchet
Private

Old 2003-02-07, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Ludio
First Sergeant

Remember, as long as you aren't killed you can always be healed by medkits, regeneration implant, second wind implant (this is especially good when you are close to dying) and players with the medical cert. Even if you do die, people with the advanced medical cert can res you. This is not a game where it is easy to die. They make it hard to die with all of these certs/implants/equipment. As I said earlier head shots don't have to be unbalanced. If the limb shot damage is adjusted downwards by a small amount and the headshots are adjusted upwards by a small amount then it will balance out.

Bolt drivers might have special damage rates, but the devs are trying to get rid of one shot kills. I think that if they only had it on headshots though then it might not be so bad because you would have to be pretty skilled to get one shot kills, and also make it so that reinforced takes 2 shots and MAX's don't have hit zones.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion