Storyline: Geographical Names - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where whoring is a sport.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-23, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Geographical Names

Mind you, that you do not want this to be to complicated. I dont know how big the continents are going to be, but you really dont want it ending up that theres 30 different area's with "custom names" on a continent, this would also make it different for new people.

To reduce the amount of "custom names" you'd probably need a bunch of grid around a base as in north,west,south,east, southeast etc.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

A good decision for this will be making a small text bar near the radar, naming a place a player is in. It is not obligatory to place those names on the map, but by dragging a mouse over this place on the map, the name can be found.
Old 2011-07-25, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
A good decision for this will be making a small text bar near the radar, naming a place a player is in. It is not obligatory to place those names on the map, but by dragging a mouse over this place on the map, the name can be found.
While I agree with having a small text bar near the radar saying where the player currently resides, I must disagree with you on not having the names on the map itself - rather, have the 'scroll over text' be a display option, just like toggling the map names, or grid lines, on and off. Whats that word I hear T-Ray throwin' around? KA-STIM-MA-ZAY-SHUN --- did I get it that right?
Old 2011-10-11, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

With the new theme this week, I thought I would greedily bump this topic back to the top. Apologies if this is against some type of rule - but I feel as though it would benefit from further discussion now that we know that Sony hopes to develop unique characters that could be used as 'heroic' naming sources for certain locales or unique features, I.E. "The Hudson River Valley" --> "The Dyson River Valley."
Old 2011-10-12, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Traak
Colonel

Good idea. Makes stuff easier to get to, also.
Old 2011-10-12, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Senyu
First Lieutenant

I already see AMVS in the making....

"The Battle of the Persus Gorge PART 1"
Old 2011-10-12, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Hamma
PSU Admin

Sounds like we are going to have this from the article today.

Appears they took control of Mount Lavastorm on the mistaken belief we’re gonna let ‘em free their captured forces from the Kane Prison Compound. If they succeed, the N.C. armies would be equal to T.R. forces. Our job’s to make certain that will never happen.
http://www.planetside2.com/news/oct12OriginCh1Pt1.html
Old 2011-10-12, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Is it just me or does "Mount Lavastorm" sound like it was named by a construction worker on a lunchbreak?
Old 2011-10-12, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Crator
Major General

Dat' der' Mount' Lavastorm is da' scarey!
Old 2011-10-12, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Today's update just made me a very VERY happy fan .
Old 2011-10-12, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Dat' der' Mount' Lavastorm is da' scarey!
"S'enuff to make ya miss old Lake Watercalm."
Old 2011-10-12, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Traak
Colonel

Yes, and Crater Rim Camp Pele BursterMAX.

And, I want worlds I can create HD 3D movies in.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-10-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Traak
Colonel

double. delete.
Old 2011-10-14, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Is it just me or does "Mount Lavastorm" sound like it was named by a construction worker on a lunchbreak?
Yeah, terrible name, hopefully the rest arent so goofy lol. And yeah as others have said, do it like WoW does. The area you are in shows up in a title under your radar/minimap. The world map would have the major ones, maybe the medium too. The smaller ones would show up when you zoom in on the map (i hope thats an option) or on mouseover. Possibly have subzones as well, so that for example you could be at Thunder Pass, in the Catacama region on Searhus. Or Rockridge Point, in the Graluvian Plains on Cyssor. That would help alot to establish the terrain as much more integral, not to mention makin it much easier to describe where you are rather than some boring grid or coordinate values. And of course allow for some really cool references to areas and much cooler immersion.
Old 2011-10-15, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Considering that they want us to battle over the entire continent, not just at and between a few bases and towers, I assume that they will at least have a name for each area that we can capture.

I'm assuming that each area that we can capture will be the equivalent of a map in your average multiplayer FPS.

I think it will be pretty cool if I can say something like "I love fighting in _Boulder Canyon(or whatever)_, it's one of my favorite areas."

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault