News: PlanetSide 2 Backstory Part 3, Joe Walsh - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because apparently, spamming global chat just isnt enough
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-14, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: PlanetSide 2 Backstory Part 3, Joe Walsh

Originally Posted by Baron View Post
This is not necessarily true. That is the TR from the perspective of the other 2 factions. It's easy to see how each faction thinks their way of thinking is the "true" way, the correct vision (hello present day religion anyone?).

I'm cool with it.
Spot on.

The TR think their laws are to protect everyone. They think the NC just shit on the laws, and hope to god the VS stay silent.
The NC think the TRs laws are cruel and the entire thing is just a dictatorship that needs to be destroyed.
The Vs think both of them are nuts, and joined the war because they believe those two have to be destroyed.

Actually, that makes the Vanu look like the bad guys.

Crap.
Old 2011-10-14, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Nah, the VS are just sitting back going "Really? You guys are going to start a world war on this amazing new world? Fucking asshats."

Then the NC and TR start using WMD on each other, threatening to destroy valuable Vanu artifacts, any one of which could be a key to furthering human evolution.

"Well, these two clowns have certainly proven that they don't deserve this planet. Time to clean house."

We totally have the higher ground

Petty squabbles are nothing compared to scientific enlightenment, however if those squabbles become a threat to progress... It's time for these scientists to go Gordon Freeman up in this bitch.
Old 2011-10-14, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Shogun
Contributor
General

vs: gordon freeman

nc: Malcolm Reynolds

tr: duke nukem
Old 2011-10-14, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I like your POV more. :>
Old 2011-10-14, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I finally think I "see" what the common denominator is among ALL fans of PlanetSide.

EVERYONE is NUTS !
I love youse guys.
Old 2011-10-14, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
vs: gordon freeman

nc: Malcolm Reynolds

tr: duke nukem
Don't you go making me choose between Mal and Gordon. NC already have my beloved reaver...

Wait, Mal? Using reavers as weapons? Hmm, you may be on to something there.
Old 2011-10-14, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Don't you go making me choose between Mal and Gordon. NC already have my beloved reaver...

Dude, obviously Gordon in the choise. I mean, who else can say he doomed the world and is now working to fix it? Who else shot as much aliens than your mom saw co**s? Gordon is them man, man.
Old 2011-10-14, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Shogun
Contributor
General

hehe you got it ;-)
AND he fights against the evil dictatory feds/terrans

i like the coincidences with firefly ;-) there´s another very general one... firefly was all about different points of views, and the ps2 story so far is about that, too
Old 2011-10-14, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post

EVERYONE is NUTS !
You're just now figuring this out? How many people do you know... I mean really know that don't have (at least) a couple screws loose.

Here's a hint. Everyone is bat shit crazy. Some are better at hiding, some even from themselves. But at the end of the day... you, me, everyone? CRAZY!

Just try to be "ha ha crazy" instead of "uh oh crazy". Important distinction.
Old 2011-10-14, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I strongly disagree.
It's not just you. This stuff is being written by Wolfman right? I could forgive getting off to a rough start or maybe adapting to a new medium, but this is fucking ridiculous. How can you expect people to get hooked into a story if the author can't even keep his own fucking characters straight?
Old 2011-10-14, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Sirisian
Colonel

As someone else mentioned it sounded like the phoenix is some kind of deployable now capable of being used by anyone. Not sure if that's just the story or something they're telling him to write about. Like "include the gauss, jackhammer, ... into the story". Questions to ask I guess.
Old 2011-10-14, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
SgtMAD
Captain

So you are either against freedom or you are a freedom loving NC.

that would make the NC freedom fighters.
Old 2011-10-14, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

The heavy gauss rifle is either:
The new name (or it's misnamed in the story) for the original games gauss rifle
The NC's empire specific sniper rifle, as a counterpart to the TR bolt driver
Some other new weapon we currently know nothing about

The carbine is either
The new name (or misnamed) for the NC's MA rifle
A common pool rifle
Some other NC specific gun, maybe even their sniper rifle.
Its possible that the Heavy Gauss and the carbine are just the light & heavy variants on the gauss rifle. We know there are 4 versions of the Cycler, Mark 1 - Mark 4. I can easily imagine other empires having specific names for their variants.

VS could use Greek letters. Lasher Omega. Pulsar Theta. Beamer Pi. Sounds all scientific n'shit. Theta is often used to represent an angle, and could be used for high-RoF/low accuracy weapons. Pi is the ratio of radius to circumference of a circle, and could indicate a weapon with a larger-than-normal Area of Effect. The standard models could all be "Alpha". The hard-hitting ones "Omega". "The alpha and the omega". Literary reference FTW.

Delta: change. "Delta Vee": change in velocity
Iota: A (very) small quantity
Sigma: Used as a for-each-sum thing in mathematics. Another high-RoF option.
Gamma: as in "gamma correction", brighter.
Chi: Often found in overpriced coffee.
Omicron: Planet that eats other planets?

There's a wikipedia page for each letter in the greek alphabet with a list of scientific uses.

The TR might call everything mark 1 through mark 4. Goose stepping isn't good for original thought. Nazi bastards.

The NC? "Carbine" and "Heavy" (and probably a couple others). Practical, meaningful names. Nothing fancy, gets the job done.

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2011-10-14 at 04:06 PM.
Old 2011-10-14, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

"omg you killed steve! i wont let those tr murderers get away with it!" Am i supposed to care? Steve will respawn shortly, no one dies on this planet. Go ahead and "murder" all the people you want, they will just respawn. So until respawns points are all removed, we cant take your over dramatic stuff to seriously while still hearing you talk about those respawns.

Gotta have a real reason other than "omg they killed kenny!", the murder reason doesnt work in the world of PS. Honestly, why kill these guys? Wouldnt it make more sense to tranq everyone and put em in stasis prisons or somethin? Killin em just sends em back to get re-equipped, fairly pointless. And yeah i know, cant start usin logic in a game, but i cant help it when i see the overly dramatic stuff based on "killing" someone in a world where death is less hassle than a cold.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2011-10-14, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
So you are either against freedom or you are a freedom loving NC.

that would make the NC freedom fighters.
And all terrorists say they want their freedom from somthin they dont like. Its all perspective. Southerners in the civil war said it, al-qaeda says it, american-revolutionists said it and so forth. Depending on which side you were on, they could be right, or just evil terrorists.

Which is the point of all this lore stuff, the story is pointless but it does show that each side can be seen in a variety of positive or negative ways depending on your perspective.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion