Dont think the HA should be able to fly. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Touch Eyeballs to Screen for Cheap Laser Surgery
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-16, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Dont think the HA should be able to fly.

Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
(I too would expect mainly engineers to pilot fighters, and possibly the larger planes as well. I could see using a light assault if you lacked ejection seats or the like, but then you lose out on the ability to set down and repair (assuming vehicles don't regenerate HP), unless you have an engineer with you, but he'd probably have the same problem with the lack of ejection seats, so...)
Whether I fly a fighter as an engineer is going to depend heavily on whether or not aircraft can still repair themselves at air towers like in the first game.

If we still can, then fighters will be fast enough that it will be worth it to retreat to an air tower (or wherever) and let the pad repair me, instead of landing somewhere, getting out and repairing.

I don't plan to ever equip the auto-repair module, and I doubt I will install the bailing module much either, so if I can't repair at an air tower I'll probably take engi any time I don't think I'll need to bail into a fight, and take LA when I think I will need to bail. If there are air repair pads, I'll almost never fly a fighter as an engi. I'll only drive tanks and fly Liberators/Galaxies as an engi.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-16 at 09:24 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TazmamzaT View Post
Dude you don't need to insult groups of people to prove your point.
Absolutely agree. Thanks for saying that.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by TazmamzaT View Post
Dude you don't need to insult groups of people to prove your point.
Are you taking offence to it?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-16, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Heavy assault in PS2 can take pounding with its personal shield. but when its like the only mobile AV class and theres gonna be defenders in MAX's i dont see the problem.

This crap just steams from the terrible players in PS1, they believe that an agile bailing on a tower with HA and 1 deci is overpowered because it somehow has an advantage over rexo and MAX defenders, these people are idiots.

Also to bail as anything else bar light assault you loose a fair bit of offensive ability been able to track targets, not to mention you're wasting resources.
i dont think you understood what i was trying to get at. when i was talking about them bailing with AV i was talking about when the aircraft is almost dead and the pilot bails to try to kill you with AV. its kind of like they get a second chance to fight you as they can dodge you around trees and stuff like that.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
CutterJohn
Colonel

HA flying should be fine.

- Ejecting means giving up something beneficial, which means the aircraft will be disadvantaged.

- Aircav travel comes at a hefty premium, so its less likely to be used as a personal taxi all the time, and definitely far less cost effective than a Gal. 12 troops in aircav = 1200 resources. 1 gal = 150 resources. Plus the gal is then reusable.

- Aircav(and indeed, all vehicles) seem far more fragile, so actually getting into position to drop will be more difficult with adequate AA protection.

Its not personally what I'd pick, but I don't think it will be all that bad either.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
i dont think you understood what i was trying to get at. when i was talking about them bailing with AV i was talking about when the aircraft is almost dead and the pilot bails to try to kill you with AV. its kind of like they get a second chance to fight you as they can dodge you around trees and stuff like that.
I know what an opivy is and what you said, but im well ware of the AA max "second life" vendetta against pilots. However in your original post you also said:

Clerg just confirmed that all classes (not the MAX) can fly aircraft. this open up the ability for engineers to repair their own aircraft and get back in the air quickly like in PS1. however the issue i see is that it allows HA to be able to bail from aircraft and attack with their AV. it also allows HA to get ontop of towers without needing teamwork. i think they should remove HA from the pool of classes that can fly aircraft. Wondering what the PSU community thinks.
Comprende?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-16, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Hotdrop - The use of an aircraft in order to fly over a facility/tower and eject and land on your desired location. The name also has 2 specific subnames: Galdrop - A hotdrop perfomed in group from a Galaxy, and Mozziedrop - used to great effect by re-secure teams due to the speed and individual control a single aircraft provides over a galaxy. Despite the ES fighters presented in, the term will still exist, though it will become faction specific, imo.
I hate to beat this dead horse again, but won't the current Resource system make these moves 10X less viable then in PS1?

As for the subject... I don't know it's odd for me, I could see HA driving tanks and such... but perhaps not aircraft.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Vetto View Post
I hate to beat this dead horse again, but won't the current Resource system make these moves 10X less viable then in PS1?

As for the subject... I don't know it's odd for me, I could see HA driving tanks and such... but perhaps not aircraft.
The resource system will make it so that you don't want to do it on a whim. Presumably groups that choose to do a mass air taxi hotdrop will be winning, thus offsetting the resource cost of the ditched aircraft.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

A lot of this depends on the options available. From what I've seen of Alpha, you trade a lot for the privilege to have an ejection system, without which they just become a gooey stain on the ground below or were at that time low to the ground and moving slowly (and thus an easy target in the first place).

To put this another way: In order to take advantage of that, they need to have a less capable aircraft than an LA, and won't have the option to repair anywhere as the Engineers do; heck, they won't even have the option of cloaking to run off and hide that Infiltrators will. These seem like relatively even trades to me. Ultimately, we'll have to see in the Beta to confirm who's views are right on this, and if it is a concern, I'm sure changes will be made.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

Here's a question: Does playing a HA or MAX cost more resources, or cost resources at all, compared to playing a LA or another class?
Old 2012-06-16, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
Here's a question: Does playing a HA or MAX cost more resources, or cost resources at all, compared to playing a LA or another class?
HA does not cost resources like LA and other basic infantry, they are considering (likely) attaching a resource cost to MAX units.
Old 2012-06-16, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Zulthus
Colonel

There should be an extra resource cost for a modified cockpit to fit a HA soldier IMO...
Old 2012-06-16, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
There should be an extra resource cost for a modified cockpit to fit a HA soldier IMO...
Perhaps making that one of the perks aka if you take this perk you can not eject to do hot drops.
Old 2012-06-16, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Sort of like the guys who bail out of their aircraft to kill my AA MAX?

How come I can't bail out of my AA MAX to kill them?

Old 2012-06-16, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Madlaps
Corporal

Who says the resource system isn't going to get flooded and you'll be able to spam the shit out of stuff?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion