Higby's Stream + HUD Issues - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: [unable to load this quote due to lack of funds]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-10, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Baron
First Sergeant

Re: Higby's Stream + HUD Issues

Even in PS1 you could toggle the chat window / kill spam ...or even keep the chat window at max size to basically overtake the kill spam part. I'd think that in PS2 you'll have even more flexibility.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
If you're not joking I find this staggering. Each to their own, that's cool but you're effectively tying both hands behind your back in an FPS. Without all of the things you've just listed, if you ever managed to have a positive impact on a battlefield you'd have to be an incredible player. Although, if you were, there is no way you'd dream of disabling all that information.
  • Crosshairs - they are in the same spot they have always been. I have no need to see them. After years of COD and BF hardcore mode I really do find them more irritating than useful. Lets put it this way: at close range its not like you can really miss (even headshots are easy), at medium/long ranges you should be ADS anyway.
  • 3D icons - there is no need to see where the bases are with 3D icons if you know the battlefield. The facility/capture point status indicators tell you what is happening and where.
  • Health - health bar is not needed if there are visual cues on your screen (eg. screen starts pumping blood or whatever). If the visual cues are not clear then its needed.
  • Ammo - anyone can estimate how much ammo they have left in their clip within minutes of playing, and it only takes a little bit longer to get used to how much ammo you can carry and use before you need a resupply.
  • Kill displays - who cares? With so many people dying its one endless stream of noise.
  • Minimap - I would use this if I can switch off 3D spotting, but mainly so that I get the compass directions of contacts I call out over voice. If the game uses audio spotting I would be forced to use it just because of how powerful it would be.
  • Notifications - you really want that crap filling up half your screen randomly throughout the game? Even if it was smaller I am not sure it would be useful at all. Cant you just take a look at the map next time you go to spawn to see what areas are under attack?

Last edited by TAA; 2012-07-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Dart
Second Lieutenant

You and I clearly prioritize very different things when it comes to playing FPS games TAA. I'm less bothered about immersion and more interested in effectiveness. I won't go to the trouble of explaining why each of those things is a useful tool in making you a better gamer because I don't think you'd really care. But that's fine - it takes all sorts to make the world go round!
Old 2012-07-10, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
Just because another game uses it does not make it bad.
Just because another game uses it, does not mean you need to have it.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Karrade
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
  • Crosshairs - they are in the same spot they have always been. I have no need to see them. After years of COD and BF hardcore mode I really do find them more irritating than useful. Lets put it this way: at close range its not like you can really miss (even headshots are easy), at medium/long ranges you should be ADS anyway.
  • 3D icons - there is no need to see where the bases are with 3D icons if you know the battlefield. The facility/capture point status indicators tell you what is happening and where.
  • Health - health bar is not needed if there are visual cues on your screen (eg. screen starts pumping blood or whatever). If the visual cues are not clear then its needed.
  • Ammo - anyone can estimate how much ammo they have left in their clip within minutes of playing, and it only takes a little bit longer to get used to how much ammo you can carry and use before you need a resupply.
  • Kill displays - who cares? With so many people dying its one endless stream of noise.
  • Minimap - I would use this if I can switch off 3D spotting, but mainly so that I get the compass directions of contacts I call out over voice. If the game uses audio spotting I would be forced to use it just because of how powerful it would be.
  • Notifications - you really want that crap filling up half your screen randomly throughout the game? Even if it was smaller I am not sure it would be useful at all. Cant you just take a look at the map next time you go to spawn to see what areas are under attack?
I disagree with just about all of this, so I think the only way is to make it an option to toggle. I want as much feedback as possible when I play a game.

(Attempting) to come from a neutral perspective you'd be raising the bar to entry into the game far too high.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
julfo
Sergeant

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
I agree with all of this. ALL of it.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Karrade View Post
I disagree with just about all of this, so I think the only way is to make it an option to toggle. I want as much feedback as possible when I play a game.

(Attempting) to come from a neutral perspective you'd be raising the bar to entry into the game far too high.
Most people do want that stuff. As much as I hate it, having these things on should be the default mode of the game. I just want the ability to turn the crap off.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Jeepo
Corporal

Toggle is the answer. As for the kill feed, after playing Project Reality for 5 years or so I feel using the kill feed to confirm info on the battle feed is a bit cheap. Not being critical as I get the usefulness but just my opinion. Maybe there will be a server control to turn it off.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
RageMasterUK
Corporal

Agree with points 1 and 2 although I probably wont toggle them off. I like all the information I can get when I play.

As for the red-pulsing when taking damage or on low health, this should not be toggleable. Getting hit by bullets and explosions, or being a fraction away from death SHOULD make it harder for you to aim IMHO. Grants a small bonus to the player who hits first. If it was toggleable, everyone would turn it off. Either way, It should be on for everyone, or off for everyone...

TAA, I dont mind if you want to turn those GUI elements off including the crosshair, you should be able to if you want (doesnt affect other players). That said I really find the crosshair-bloom an invaluable GUI element for seeing where your shots are going to land during hip-fire.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Raka Maru
Major

I check killspam when deciding to go AA or AV before I walk outside. If lots of planes are killing my empire, I pull out the Burster max.

I hated anything that pops up right in the center of your screen. It's like someone stepping in front of the TV during a critical scene.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
I couldn't disagree more about the Kill Spam. As other have said - the situationally aware soldier uses the kill spam to keep an eye on who is where around him. For instance if I see a friendly run past me down some stairs I check his name - if he then dies 15 seconds later I know exactly WHO killed and with WHAT and I have a good idea WHERE. That is invaluable information. I'd rather see it there permanently, instead of having it fade out. Although I'm all for giving us the choice. The less people who use the tools their given, the less competent players I'll have to fight against!

Speaking of HUD issues - did the Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) system seem poor to anyone else? I was finding it very difficult, at a glance, to tell which faction players belonged to and judging by the amount of TKing we saw at E3 and again last night, I'm obviously not the only one.

There also needs to be some kind of Outfit Tag or Outfit Name display beneath friendly players.

Same as Dart, IFF seems rather weak and leading to many judgement errors
Old 2012-07-10, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Carnage
Sergeant

There does seem to be an awful lot of unrequired information, like HERE I see 2 HP meters... and in THIS there are 2 compasses, that pic is getting ridiculous and it's not even the full amount you can get at one time... there needs to be full customisation on the HUD, most of us do not require most of it, but while I do not want it, it would be still nice to have it as an option...

Last edited by Carnage; 2012-07-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
haticK
First Sergeant

They already said you will be able to move around parts of the HUD so I would assume you could disable whatever you don't like too. I can tell a lot of you never played a MMORPG with raid frames, boss mods, timers, etc.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
RSphil
Contributor
Major

i like the hud bar the massive base notifications.

troops of today are getting hud on their helmets anyway so id say one day your ammo will be on it, aswell as other info. maps and txt are used atm but can be open to all sorts in the future like AR waypoints, iff and stuff.

as for being able to turn it all off. i say switchable. there will be alot of new players dont forget who are either new to fps's or used to how the newer mainstream fps's are visually represented. i see far too many post on here atm forgetting this game has to appeal to a wide range of people to be able to survive.

Originally Posted by haticK View Post
They already said you will be able to move around parts of the HUD so I would assume you could disable whatever you don't like too. I can tell a lot of you never played a MMORPG with raid frames, boss mods, timers, etc.
oh the amount of crap i had up in WOW when raiding lol. love being able to customize the hud though. i think there are only a few pre set ones in game atm though
Old 2012-07-10, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I'm all for being able to turn off those center of the screen warnings.

1. They are way too huge.
2. They are way too colorful.
3. They happen way too often.
4. They stay on the screen way too long.
5. Honestly, I really don't care THAT much.

I am 100% fine with the standard MMO chat window scrolling text alerts, but if you must have other kinds of alerts, please allow to make them text only and (much like SWG) allow me to change their color and duration.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion