Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What the heck is this text box for?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-10, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Fab
Sergeant

Re: Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN!

I don t get why every faction wouldn t keep her own color, whatever you are playing :
all NC be blue, TR red, VS violet. Easy to get, easy to read. You obviously know which faction you are playing, so no mistakes. Same goes for base capture points.

For the squad, green seems a good idea.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Blue = Team
Green = Squad
Red = Enemy

Originally Posted by Fab View Post
I don t get why every faction wouldn t keep her own color, whatever you are playing :
all NC be blue, TR red, VS violet. Easy to get, easy to read. You obviously know which faction you are playing, so no mistakes. Same goes for base capture points.

They said this caused confusion in testing, since seeing red capture icons caused TR players to think it was an enemy-controlled point.

That said, I'm not against your suggestion. If you play the game long enough as your faction, I can't imagine it being difficult to remember who's who.

As others have said, it should be an in-game HUD option to select the colour scheme manually.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
CJMBC
Private

Originally Posted by Fab View Post

I think mainly for new players this would be Confusing as most would associate Red with Bad.... (wouldnt be far wrong anyway )
Old 2012-07-10, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Blue = Team
Green = Squad
Red = Enemy

They said this caused confusion in testing, since seeing red capture icons caused TR players to think it was an enemy-controlled point.

That said, I'm not against your suggestion. If you play the game long enough as your faction, I can't imagine it being difficult to remember who's who.

As others have said, it should be an in-game HUD option to select the colour scheme manually.
There is more to this than the colour of names tho. Watch the stream (in my sig) on numerous occasions Matt was very close to other characters and their name was not appearing. The whole IFF system needs adjustment.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
There is more to this than the colour of names tho. Watch the stream (in my sig) on numerous occasions Matt was very close to other characters and their name was not appearing. The whole IFF system needs adjustment.
You have to target another user for a set amount of time before IFF kicks in. This is how it should be.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
You have to target another user for a set amount of time before IFF kicks in. This is how it should be.
The amount of tking we're seeing suggests you're wrong. And remember these guys are soe devs, they're not noobs. Imo friendlies with a certain radius should show green immediately otherwise a lot of ppl are going to get tkd.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Juturna
Private

You could always do blue for the majority of friendlies and keep the green for squads like battlefield
Old 2012-07-10, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

That would be why Visual identification in the faction designs are key. You should not be leaning on colored text. Hell, in PS1 it was an implant.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
That would be why Visual identification in the faction designs are key. You should not be leaning on colored text. Hell, in PS1 it was an implant.
Not for friendlies. What I'm saying is the current system isn't working.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Fab
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
OK thx i didn t catch that. I can imagine how red can be misinterpreted as "bad". But really, I have no problem seeing TR shooting each other..
Old 2012-07-10, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Stanis
Master Sergeant

Perhaps an element inherited from the fact Forgelight is also an MMO engine ..
White names in your standard MMORPG until you pull aggro... or are in a PvP zone.

They could be green. We'll get used to white.
A lack of name should be a strong indicator they are an enemy.

The biggest clue being the targetting reticule turning red.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Quite sure all this will be customizable.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
infected
Staff Sergeant

they should just give in and make friendlies permanently tagged. you shouldnt have to cursor over friendlies for an ignorant period of time if that time is longer than the time it would take to ID them yourself w/o even having to cursor over them (ID them out of the corner of your eye, etc). i certainly think the state of the friendly IFF is lazy/slow right now. the problem is the gui isn't updating as fast as the human brain.

for example, i look left and see a guy. i notice he is friendly but the gui doesn't display it just yet. so i turn away from the friendly, making him no longer in my fov, but now if i turn to him again, i should not be questioning friend or foe AGAIN, as i already have him on my minimap and spacial awareness.

i'm not going to stop what im doing, point my cursor at him and hold it there until the gui recognizes it is friendly... to manually get the gui to catch up with my brain. rinse and repeat for every person on the battlefield? no. just set all friendlies as tagged by default as soon as they are on your screen, not on your cursor for x amount of stupid time.

Last edited by infected; 2012-07-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

If there is a grief system implemented similar to PS1, then TR shooting each other for having red letters after the first shot, or shortly thereafter. Not a problem.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Pancake
Sergeant

I personally like the BF3 system best. Easy to find your party and know who is friend and foe.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion