anyone else feel the same way? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma must be squozen
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-07, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

Re: anyone else feel the same way?

Oh god tell me about it.

I look at my games, play RDR for 10 minutes, die, then quit.

Play TF2, 3 matches in, quit

Go on PSU, the TRG forums, then PS2.com, then I just sit around thinking about how awesome it will be come open beta...

Planetside 2, you have effectively killed gaming for me until I can play you
Old 2012-08-07, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Korend Slicks
Private

Planetside 2 not only destroyed my sense of gaming, it has officially made any other MMOs look "meh".
Old 2012-08-07, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
windlord
Corporal

It's been 8 months now and nothing else has been working. Except for my fiance.
Old 2012-08-07, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
lMABl
Master Sergeant

Been playing Natural Selection 2 with friends to pass the time and it is A LOT of fun. Its a mix between RTS (one commander) and FPS and requires tons of team work. Its $34 right now to pre-order which gets you in the beta, which is constantly being updated, and with each update it just gets better. If you have the dough Id recommend it for sure.

Check it out. http://www.naturalselection2.com/
Old 2012-08-07, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Zehdd
Private

Yeah. Been playing PS1 reconnecting with old outfit-mates, but my trigger finger is itching in a way that only PS2 can scratch.

Is it possible to have withdrawl symptoms from a game you've never played? I may be a first case scenario!
Old 2012-08-07, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Steambot
Private

I've actually been doing pretty good, actually. I'm playing EVE, TF2, some Half-Life 2, no problems here.
Old 2012-08-07, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Envenom
Sergeant Major

We've all been waiting for a game to try to do what PS2 is doing for a long longgg time.
Old 2012-08-07, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Pech
Private

Yeah, I totally feel like you guys...

Right now I'm playing Warsow to train my aiming and flying skills.
Old 2012-08-07, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

OP: I've been feeling this was since about January.

I've been playing the fast TTK games (TF2, BF3) to practice my aim and to try to get the feel of PS1 TTK out of my system.

Also, with the addition of the headshot in PS2, I've started aiming up a bit.
Old 2012-08-07, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
SFxBA
Private

I myself am looking forward to a nice FPS change and this could not be coming at a better time. I am so pleased that overall we have a good strong development team that is a throw back to a time when making a game wasn't about the money, but about making an awesome game and growing a community.

The timing for this game is very well planned, and I hope they continue to build community just like PS1 did.

Also, I have missed blowing up stuff too.

SFxBA

Last edited by SFxBA; 2012-08-07 at 08:53 PM.
Old 2012-08-07, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Korend Slicks View Post
Planetside 2 not only destroyed my sense of gaming, it has officially made any other MMOs look "meh".
Any other MMO is typically an RPG The genre is so horridly, repetitively rehashed, it'd have to be an MMO-platformer with a tinge RPG growth for it to be revolutionary at this point. That tinge couldn't involve straight up power growth either. I'm convinced a traditional leveling scheme in an MMO is part of the problem. Too much of the world goes obsolete at the level cap, and that's a really big flaw to an "immersive" world.

Naw... Planetside did/does what the standard fare FPS doesn't - massive cluster-**** battles. Also, most of the world doesn't go obsolete because you leveled/ranked up a bit
Old 2012-08-08, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Right now I'm trying to finish Deus Ex HR in a stealth run while waiting for my beta invite and its frickin hard not to rush it !!

Old 2012-08-08, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Kalledorn
Private

Yes, definitely.

I've played and replayed the beginning of several games on my 360 and PC and nothing seems to have stuck so far.
Old 2012-08-08, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
AJay
Private

Planetside paints a picture of a game full of teamwork and solidarity, an odd example of the genre where individualism won't get you very far and is kind of against the point of the whole ordeal.

The games I have been trying to fill this particular void (and why most of them fail) are;

TF2; the class system strong arms the player into working co-operatively even when they aren't trying to, the downside is people make poor class choices (5 snipers, 3 spies) and crush their own team from within.

Red Orchestra 2; A tad too oppressive but that is the whole point of the game. The squad system is almost redundant; offering players no incentive to stay together or follow their squad leaders anywhere. Matches often dissolve into squad leaders losing their patience with their subordinates cowering in ditches and deciding to roleplay russian commisars (execute them)

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars; an underappreciated gem of a game. It's fate is quite tragic as is the developer's; having gone on to make BRINK and watch that fail as well. This is almost as close as I have gotten to an objective based team shooter since the glory days of Joint Ops and BF2. Like TF2; the class system tricks you into playing co-operatively without you even realising it and each map's unique set of objectives and location make the game a joy to play. Where it falls down are a few baffling odd design decisions.
Firstly; the devs animated the game at 30fps and threw a fps cap of the same number on it (presumable for the 360/PS3) which makes the game look like a claymation film once you've unlocked the framelimiter.
Secondly; the servers are limited to 24 players max. To it's credit; the games never feel small thanks to the well designed frontline system; it feels like a wasted oppurtunity. Whether it was to stay true to Wolfenstein's server limit or to accomodate console players I don't know but I know when I learnt I wasn't getting 64 player action I was dissapointed.
Finally; they released the game in the same week as TF2. Confident maybe but suicidal? Definitely.

Tribes; Ascend; As you're probably tired by now I will sum up this wonderful game with as much brevity as is appropriate; GOTTA GO FAST
Old 2012-08-08, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
leecH
Private

i feel the same as OP does.

but if this game will not be what i expected im defenitly done with gaming fps' or mmo's and will start online poker or some shit because let's face it.. if such a promising game can't hold you what will...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion