MMO Attack Games Dev interview: Arclegger - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Giving Counterstrike the finger since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-09, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Re: MMO Attack Games Dev interview: Arclegger

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
I was just shocked at how Young Clegg is! Man, he reminds me of my kid. I guess that means i am just OOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD!

I take out all you whippersnappers though! And get off my lawn dammit!
Not to add fuel to the "I'm OOOOOOLD" fire or derail the thread (well, actually ...) but on a side note, video games turned FIFTY last year...

and NO one can beat clegg with his piloting skills - he gets those Galaxies in places NO ONE ELSE CAN!
Old 2013-01-09, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Figment
Lieutenant General

I bet he just spawns them inside Bio Domes with dev tools!
Old 2013-01-09, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

Love Vanu Archives as well, an excellent outpost.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-09, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
No no I mean, we should be taking something that has "TR" in it, or the circle wouldn't be complete! D:
TR BL4 Crash Site is usually too VS. Should've been NC, but well...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-09, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

Each continent has special areas that I think are really badass.

Indar: The crater, Vanu Archives, the Crown (I HATE IT BUT LOVE IT)
Esamir: Crater research site (Forgot what it was called), some base with trenches and barricades.
Amerish: Shadespire Farms (the only place in the game with sorta-weather <3), couple other areas I forgot the names for.

To be honest, I wish this game had more reinforced, fortified trenches. Would be badass infantry/armor combat. With AA turrets!

Last edited by RykerStruvian; 2013-01-09 at 04:58 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by RykerStruvian View Post
Each continent has special areas that I think are really badass.

Indar: The crater, Vanu Archives, the Crown (I HATE IT BUT LOVE IT)
Esamir: Crater research site (Forgot what it was called), some base with trenches and barricades.
Amerish: Shadespire Farms (the only place in the game with sorta-weather <3), couple other areas I forgot the names for.

To be honest, I wish this game had more reinforced, fortified trenches. Would be badass infantry/armor combat. With AA turrets!
Don't forget about the Stronghold on Indar! I love that base.
Old 2013-01-09, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
VGCS
Corporal

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Clegg made the Crown and the Bio Lab - the two best cert farms anywhere. If you like defense, he's your favorite person on the dev team!

He also made Vanu Archives. Some of my favorite places to fight!

So what I'm reading from this is.... the Suits tied him down and made him open up all the other bases that were originally Turtle friendly. ...completely sympathize with that, was forced to do the same thing in Hammer for my Payload server b/c there's a LOT of people out there who get too self conscious about their inflated Epeens when they're not allowed to Steamroll a good Defense -__-

Last edited by VGCS; 2013-01-09 at 05:33 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Don't forget about the Stronghold on Indar! I love that base.
aka Starship Troopers.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-10, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
If every base was as unique as The Crown it'd be a wonderful world. I hate the Crown only because the average PS2 player seems to think that it's the Crown Jewel, they don't realize it's just another base.

You need to get up with some of the guys on this forums about walkways under biolabs and that kind of stuff. Build me some old-style Castles, maybe a Wolfenstein remake base or something! :P

Also, I feel for you if you read these forums as much as I do. Some serious debbie downers here.
Debbie Downer checking in.

The thing is as far as most of the outposts go, there is less that can be done about improving them to the level of the crown. I actually feel many of the outposts and minor bases (save for towers) could all be pretty fun to play out of, but without MAJOR topographic changes to the worlds they will always suffer from the vehicle camping.

What makes the crown so much better though? It is not just the ability to defend the high ground, though that is a major point. It gets back to what a lot of people are asking for in the larger bases as far as progression, and that an AMS for the attackers is CRITICAL AND VALUABLE, and because of the route in, is much harder to replace... MUCH MUCH harder to replace relative to most other bases.
Also as defenders, you are not camped by vehicles in your spawn. Being up on a mountain top helps, and dead center of the map so usually LIBS don't have free reign near to target the spawns. What does this mean? Infantry can fight out and fight against other infantry. Now again most bases don't have the physical restrictions of a cliff on two sides to make camping harder, but you can fight out of the spawn. ALSO where the points are located is the biggest difference, and difference maker. B is close to and can be re-taken by the defenders. Once the attackers have a firm presence up hill then C is usually easily held by them, it can be ninja'd back but ends up in the hands of the attacker. Then the force that can control the v-bay or get the LA's up to A will swing the push-pull battle. It really is one of the only outposts that a push pull type of capture WORKS.

So yeah i'll give a slow clap for his base designs. They aren't just buildings looked at like "hmmm... it would be cool to shoot out this window" but honest to God THOUGHT put into the push-pull mechanic of capture.

So... I can probably find a post where I say the push pull mechanic is a steaming pile of crap... but honestly? It isn't the capture mechanic as much as it is the base designs that don't have this mechanic in the forefront of the design. It works in bio-labs as well.. not as well sometimes but I blame the players more than the bases/mechanics for that.

I could forgive and not care about many of the other outposts if...
Techplants and AMP stations simply had the FUN of a push pull war as the single biggest goal in their design. Then fix the towers... then we can address a few of the other outposts.

Hell... I for one would be happy if we saw a patch that simply tore down the Tech plants and AMP stations and re-built them entirely from scratch if they could focus on these things that make the push-pull capture mechanic work.

Last edited by Wahooo; 2013-01-10 at 04:30 AM.
Old 2013-01-10, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
Yea but this guy also is responsible for the building layout of the crown. What a dick!
The crown is a flaw in the overall map/continent, not a feature.

Every base should be defensible. That large fights ( not even that large ) only happen in one spot is a flaw. Also, the crown is not a good fight, its a good farm. Big difference. Its also extremely reminiscent of some sort of MMORPG like level design where you can't go over the invisible lines of the content tunnel. IE: Its PS 2's Thunder Bluff.

Less content tunnels please, more open but interesting, not restricting, areas around bases. AND FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY move the dam out of bounds to the sea please.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
aka Starship Troopers.
Yeah, its a great base to look at. Its terrible at being a base. From the wall that splits the courtyard to the sniping heaven and aircraft corral it becomes. It gets steamrolled one way or the other like all the rest with little fighting.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-10 at 09:16 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion