Lancer is coming ... ! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Marshmellows, anyone?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Lancer is coming ... !

Originally Posted by gunshooter View Post
It won't be a lancer, it'll be a redesigned rocket launcher that functions nothing like the lancer did.
If it has splash of 1m, it certainly isn't a high rof sniper AP weapon though.

At least, I wouldn't expect that.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Qwan
Captain

Ahhh its so nice to see PS2 starting to come together, i cant wait to see what the next 3 months will bring.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Lancer was definitely iconic in PS1. I envied it a lot as NC. Never did like the Phoenix in comparison (although it had its merits I'm sure).

I hope it is ES and that the other launchers appear for their respective factions too. The game needs a bit more ES variety IMO.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Punker
Corporal

Phoenix would be a big balance issue considering the softpoints on vehicles. I doubt they will implement it... I kinda hope they do but i won't get my hopes up.
Old 2013-01-14, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Papagiorgio
Corporal

The Lancer is basically a man-portable Saron HRB; as others have said it charges for a second then lets out a very fast straight projectile with no fall-off.

I too am optimistic about getting the Phoenix back for NC. I miss that launcher.

Papagiorgio, CR5 NC Markov

Last edited by Papagiorgio; 2013-01-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Punker View Post
Phoenix would be a big balance issue considering the softpoints on vehicles. I doubt they will implement it... I kinda hope they do but i won't get my hopes up.
Depends on turn rate, velocity, missile life, damage and rate of fire.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-01-14 at 01:03 PM.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Methonius
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
so they're going to be making the ES-AV launchers again.
How's that going to work with the Stiker since we already have 3 different incarnations masquerading as it. Or are we just going to get an AV that can lock onto air, ground, max and dumbfire. Cos that's the only acceptable version of the Striker imo.
The current launchers are only similar in that they lock on but they do not lock instantly and they have to reload after every shot the striker can continuously shoot so it would be a lot different in that aspect. You also had to keep your reticule on the target at all times or the lock broke.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Methonius
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Punker View Post
I think they could still balance it by just giving you only about 3-5 seconds of controlling it that way you had the time to line it up but wouldn't have enough time to fly the missile all the way past the target and flip it from behind that way you would still need to flank with it to hit the vehicle in the back. Unless they were really close but then the tank is dumb for getting that close in the first place.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I think we are going to enjoy this new mechanic (if your vanu). The rest of i hope they get the other es launchers in game asap.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Methonius View Post
I think they could still balance it by just giving you only about 3-5 seconds of controlling it that way you had the time to line it up but wouldn't have enough time to fly the missile all the way past the target and flip it from behind that way you would still need to flank with it to hit the vehicle in the back. Unless they were really close but then the tank is dumb for getting that close in the first place.
just give a very slow missile turn rate so its impossible to do a steep turn.
Old 2013-01-14, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
AThreatToYou
Major

The benefits of the ES weapons will be massive. If implemented as near-mirrors of PS1 weaponry, the Phoenix would be an excellent weapon to deal with door-camping tanks as it could strike the vulnerable top or rear armor of a tank from within a building. The Lancer would be deadly to Liberators and MAX units, with the Striker being the do-everything, anytime weapon.

I hope they all come back. I know the Phoenix had its "problems" in PS1, namely that it was almost totally unfun to be shot at with. It still served a serious role in stamping out MAX units and vehicles who incorrectly thought they were in cover.

The point of the Striker in PS2 could be a rapid lock-on time, a sizeable clip, and the ability to lock on to all armored units as well as dumb-fire.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-01-14 at 02:22 PM.
Old 2013-01-14, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Hmm. I don't want to sound like a sourpuss, but I think people are going to be dissapointed by the new Lancer.

Chances are, it will resemble it's predecessor in name only. I will look 95% like the existing VS rocket launchers, have no new firing mechanic and it will have slightly different numerical stats.

I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

It should also probably be noted that the Phoenix has a chance to be significantly more useful in PS2, at least until all the windows in buildings are patched up. If it was fired from the right spot, and the missile had a decent turn radius, NC would probably be able to damage vehicles that can't even see them, fairly easily. Not that I mind that, of course, asymmetrical balance is great. I'm just a little worried about the shitstorm that the official forums are going to turn into once people realize that other factions have a possibility to do something that they can't, and that is actually somewhat useful.

If we get OP Lancer, Phoenix, and Striker threads all on one page at the same time, I'm taking a screenshot.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Brusi
Contributor
Major

The problem with the phoenix would be the fact that you would be able to one shot (head-shot) enemy infantry with the explosives model in PS2. it would take like 6 direct hits to even make a ReXo in the original Planetside decide to move using the original Phoenix!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-01-14, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
AThreatToYou
Major

it would take like 6 direct hits to even make a ReXo in the original Planetside decide to move using the original Phoenix!
more like 2-3

but i get your point
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion