Level Design with Clegg - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: dude, I wasn't even there!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-02-14, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Re: Level Design with Clegg

I honestly don't understand why there is such a need for these awful "out of bounds" areas anyways, and why we can't have "proper" continents that are restricted by natural boundaries instead (i.e.: water).

Some steep cliffs into the water changing with shallow beaches inviting you to make a barbeque. It's one of these little things that can make a game look like a breathing world instead of a bland lobbyshooter cardboard setting. Which unfortunately PS2 still looks too much of.

Elevate this game over a mere shooter map by adding stuff like that.

Same goes for sanctuaries.

Or holstering weapons.

Or Voice/Animation macros.
Old 2013-02-14, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
I honestly don't understand why there is such a need for these awful "out of bounds" areas anyways, and why we can't have "proper" continents that are restricted by natural boundaries instead (i.e.: water).

~snip~.
Or at least give you more time to get the hell outta there but, yeah, Ive never understood it either.
Old 2013-02-14, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

In Planetside we used to set up AMS's on the islands off the continents. I remember once we had an outfit to outfit battle between HMX-1 and dont remember the VS outfit was such a long time ago maybe around 2003, 2004. But man it was a lot of fun.
Other times we would set ams's on the islands off of hossing and with a router would teleport onto the main land and attack bases on Hossin.

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-02-14 at 10:20 PM.
Old 2013-02-15, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
martingee
Private

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
I suspect its 'neater' and more immediate way of making you turn back instead of hitting an invisible wall.
Old 2013-02-15, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by martingee View Post
I suspect its 'neater' and more immediate way of making you turn back instead of hitting an invisible wall.
Sorry but invisible barriers are just as silly. Take a look at PS1 continents to see what i was on about. For the landmass itself you don't need either.

I understand the need for some form of barrier for aircrafts, and for that i would agree that "out of bounds" is the best way to go. But that area should start out on the sea somewhere and not at some arbitrary "map border".

What i am critizising with our current maps is that the landmass expands into the horizon (for example northern indar) and you can drive with a vehicle into "out of bounds" areas. That is completely unnecessary and ruins immersion.

Once more, "proper" mapped continents add immersion and the feel of a true continent/island. You NEVER should run into "out of bounds" areas on foot or in a vehicle, only into water.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-02-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2013-02-15, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Cyridius
Private

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
UPDATE!

Outposts aren't getting deleted but rather moved and or adjusted.

ARC Bioengineering is getting a bridge and a road leading to it, that indestructible turret tower that sits right there is being removed.(stop freaking out you still have 2 more right in front of the warpgate, remember those are to prevent warpgate camping not help you kill people at outposts you are trying to defend)

NS Solar is being moved 2 hexes West.

Hidden Ridge Mining is being moved to the front of the warpgate.

*thanks for the feedback clegg ur da bessst* Aw you're too kind psu, no you're the best.
What the hell happened to "squashing" the bases?

Seriously? Why can't you just delete the bases, huh? The most ridiculous bases in this game and you're literally refusing to get rid of them. Why can't you jut merge the territory with another one? Adding a bridge to Arc Bio is going to make it MORE defensable because you're adding a gigantic fucking choke point.

Just, in general, why not remove these? There is no reason not to in the slightest. They give an extremely unfair advantage and moving them isn't going to change that.
Old 2013-02-15, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

More defensible bases. Sounds good to me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion