Why more Weapons is the Wrong Idea. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a swift kick in the nuts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-25, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Mietz
First Sergeant

Re: Why more Weapons is the Wrong Idea.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Indeed, clearly this thread is about my love of pies, not guns.
We all know you hate guns Figment.
Old 2013-02-25, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post

Not if the same upgrades are available for certs. All SC does and should do is buy convenience. Getting something faster than someone else is convenient, not pay to win.
Currently you can use cash to skip the grind when opting for sidegrades. But if you wanted to allow out and out better components to be available for cash, so "advanced laser" over "laser" then unless the former comes with a disadvantage over the latter then it is absolutely pay to win.

I like your components ideas though.

Old 2013-02-25, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I like the idea, but if you're selling these drastic weapon attachments in the store that vary by class (like long barrel for snipers, drum for HA), then the ending effect really doesn't seem much different then the current implementation.

It really just seems like an alternative approach to the same overall affect, not different enough.

Are you basically saying, "With weapons, I want less options to choose from, and more impact with chosen modifications"?
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2013-02-25 at 11:31 AM.
Old 2013-02-25, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
Currently you can use cash to skip the grind when opting for sidegrades. But if you wanted to allow out and out better components to be available for cash, so "advanced laser" over "laser" then unless the former comes with a disadvantage over the latter then it is absolutely pay to win.

I like your components ideas though.
It comes down to balancing, in BR the components all have strengths and weaknesses.

So an "advanced laser" would be better in the sense that it would provide double the benefit for example, but also double the draw-back.

i.e.High velocity ammo would give more damage but make recoil stronger, so advanced HVA would give even more damage but even more recoil. etc.
Its fine if someone takes advanced HVA immediately since the drawback is still there.

It would lead to true specialization.
Old 2013-02-25, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
...Anyway, going all Blacklight Retribution style and building your own gun from parts would certainly be nice but probably a too drastic change in the game. I guess I could settle for a system as I suggested.
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I like this idea and I think it would be a neat system for the game but honestly I don't see it happening it would require some pretty hefty changes.
I agree with these comments, it too drastic a change to ever be implemented, no matter how good an idea it is. Its like all the threads about lattice - IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Not really, just let weapon parts be bought with SC or certs. They get more money out of it then they do with the current model in all likelihood.
Its not about the difficulty, its about a dramatic change in the way the game is monetized. To do something like this, you would have to refund all the money and certs spent on weapons and then probably even refund certs for certain attachments. Its basically asking to start all over. The average Joe would log in one day and be greeted with everything gone.

Again, not a bad idea, but its not going to happen.
Old 2013-02-25, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sifer2
Major

Currently SOE has replaced the monthly fee with selling monthly toys to the 10% who buy stuff. The problem with your suggestion is it is probably even harder to come up with new unique balanced attachments each month.

What the game really needs is a business model that separates the profit from the game balance. I think the Guild Wars model of just selling the game would have been better really. That is pay 50 dollars, and unlock all weapons. Can still buy cosmetics/boosters. Only problem is then I fear SOE would just start adding unbalanced new tiers of class abilities that cost huge amounts of certs to drive up booster sales.
Old 2013-02-25, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

You should note that, seeing as the game is outside of the Beta stages, your suggestions are far too drastic a change from the game design. (Losing all the rad guns we already bought? Inconceivable!)

I, for one, prefer not to make suggestions that I know will never happen in the game. Nevertheless I suppose it is fun to consider what might have been...
Old 2013-02-25, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Varsam View Post
This would be great for everyone but SOE - your plan is difficult to monetize. No money, no planetside.
blacklight does well ontop of being an amazing game
Old 2013-02-25, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Mietz View Post
We all know you hate guns Figment.
Guns schmunz. Let's talk about my apple pie already. It's warm, covered in crumbs, has whipped cream on it, is filled to the brim with apples and can never used to kill another person.
Old 2013-02-26, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Varsam
Staff Sergeant

Not if the same upgrades are available for certs. All SC does and should do is buy convenience. Getting something faster than someone else is convenient, not pay to win.
Didn't think about it that way. You've sold me on that.

First of all, people are more likely to spend money when it comes across as optional. If the only way to get new guns was SC, do you think this game would be anywhere near stable population wise?

Other games have proven that you don't need to make things overpriced to make it profitable.
Still disagree with you on this point, to an extent. (Keep in mind this is all pure opinion, I know nothing about marketing and consumer behavior) I agree that people buy when they feel it's optional, but the only truly optional items are cosmetics. For items with impact on gameplay, there is a perceived notion that not having certain items means being disadvantaged. It makes players feel compelled by outside motivators, which they naturally resist.
Old 2013-02-26, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Guns schmunz. Let's talk about my apple pie already. It's warm, covered in crumbs, has whipped cream on it, is filled to the brim with apples and can never used to kill another person.
Nope.

Diabetes.
Old 2013-02-26, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
blacklight does well ontop of being an amazing game
Its also not about just making money at it, its about pissing off people who have already invested into the current system. its like buying super mario and then all of the sudden the developers wipe it out and give you Sonic the Hedgehog - both fun games, but its so dramatic a change that many will be left to say "I thought I paid for Super Mario." OK thats a horrible analogy, but you get what I am saying. Yes, the idea is good, yes it would even make money, but its so far removed from the path that SOE has gone down, it will never ever ever ever never ever happen. ever.
Old 2013-02-26, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Why not combine ideas? Have that level of customization with multiple weapon platforms. Each platform would have some kind of base value. An SMG platform would be good at CQC and SMG stuff, but you can completely rig it to be a medium range weapon with lower count mags, higher power rounds, and a heavy barrel. You can make it into a Mini-Saw with a massive mag, foregrip, and other crap so it annihilates at close range while kicking like a dying mule. At heart though, it will still be an SMG and won't ever be an effective sniper rifle.
Old 2013-02-26, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Why not combine ideas? Have that level of customization with multiple weapon platforms. Each platform would have some kind of base value. An SMG platform would be good at CQC and SMG stuff, but you can completely rig it to be a medium range weapon with lower count mags, higher power rounds, and a heavy barrel. You can make it into a Mini-Saw with a massive mag, foregrip, and other crap so it annihilates at close range while kicking like a dying mule. At heart though, it will still be an SMG and won't ever be an effective sniper rifle.
isnt that essentially what they are doing now? different ammo types, laser sights, etc.? The expensive weapons you can already put pretty much any kind of attachment you want.
Old 2013-02-26, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Sadly, I have more faith Sony will do what's be$t for the ca$h shop vs what's best for gameplay. If players keep buying new "stuff"....we'll keep gettting more sh1t ... that "looks" & perhpas feels a bit new in some way....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion