Implant ideas for the dev team. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: finally i got a quote accepted!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-11, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Implant ideas for the dev team.

icon. Good point(s). EVERYTHING that can be exploited - will be exploited. However, BOTH attacker & defender could/would get the enhanced radar benefit (at a BIO Farm, or wherever).

Having BOTH sides able to see the enemy more clearly on their mini map equates to a benefit to the better player(s). Nothing wrong with that in my book ..... and, I am definitely NOT in the better player class.

.... may not be a very good idea, but was an off-the-cuff idea of interesting Implant(s) they could add/offer into the game.

..... I like the idea of a "climb" Implant. Maybe usable once per hour. You get 60 seconds, and the most vertical you can go is 60 meters .... then, you have to be on a ledge of surface you can adhere to. Yes, you could "climb" up into trees....

However, for 10 minutes after a "climb", you would have no pershonal shield. It would have limited use. However, profesional snipers would be more than happy to scout & place themselves well in advance of the Zerg or whoever ..... wait for their shield to return, and then have a better place to snipe from. NOT FOR MAXes.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-06-11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 2013-06-11, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
mrmrmrj
Sergeant

For balance reasons, Implants should not do more than a 100-150 cert spend will get you. That would possibly include:

1) faster reload
2) steadier gun
3) self-heal over time

Implants that make your shields stronger or give more HP in excess of the 3rd or 4th rank of Nanoweave Armor would be overpowered when stacked. An Implant that gave you level 2 or 3 Nanoweave while Flak Armor was equipped MIGHT be ok and vice versa.

If an implant gives you something that would be a 400+ cert purchase, then it is probably overpowered.
Old 2013-06-12, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Ohaunlaim
Corporal

Mechanized Targeting Support
- Allows you to spot enemies up to 250 meters away.
- Relays your spotted enemies to all friendly vehicle drivers and gunners up to 150 meters away on the mini-map.
- Spotted enemies will only be tracked for a maximum of 8 seconds (less if they find cover). They can be re-spotted as needed.
- Spotting voice volume is only half normal and travels half as far.
- Downside: Spotting information is prioritized so not relayed to infantry.

Advanced Targeting
- Does not affect spotting mechanism or range in any way.
- Opens up a new information box in your UI.
- The box contains the name, outfit, rank, class, weapons carried, health, shield amount, and distance away of any character within the targeting reticule. Range: 150 meters.
- Downside: Information lasts only 2 seconds after target leaves reticule.

Field Terminal Authorization
- When activated a drop pod delivers a one-use, temporary vehicle terminal.
- Only the player can use the terminal.
- The terminal will despawn as the selected vehicle spawns.
- Any air or ground vehicle can be selected.
- Downside: There is a cool-down timer of at least 5 minutes before and between uses.
- Downside: All vehicle costs are set at 150%. Cost benefits will not affect this.
- Downside: The implant cannot be used within 100m of any facility.

Arm Enhancement
- Grenades travel faster and further: to 150% normal.
- Rate of fire for melee attacks increases to 115% normal.
-Downside: None

Leg Augmentation
- Jump height increases to 110% normal.
- Sprint speed increases to 110% normal.
- Fall damage decreases to 85% normal.
- Downside: None

Silent Running
- Footstep volume and travel distance is lowered to 30% normal.
- Downside: None

Audial Disseminator
- Enemy footstep volume and travel distance is doubled.
- Enemy vehicle volume and travel distance is doubled.
- Downside: Annoying!

Micro Chaff
- When the player is spotted by the enemy, a warning tells them so. This effect is passive and always on.
- When activated, the enemy’s “spotting” is removed from the player.
- Player cannot be spotted for 5 seconds after implant activation.
- Downside: There is a 30 second cool down between activations.

Darklight *
- Reveals cloaking fields and holograms.
- Downside: When in use, lowers visual range significantly.
- Downside: Timed use (10 seconds) and cool-down (10 seconds)
*only want this released when they also release a proper cloaker cert.

Last edited by Ohaunlaim; 2013-06-12 at 04:14 AM.
Old 2013-06-13, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Ohaunlaim
Corporal

Here are a few more that don't mess with weapon balance.

Personal Repulse Emitter
- Reduces fall damage to 40% normal.
- Downside: Only activates if at least 20 meters above ground.
- Downside: there is a 20 second cool down between uses.
- Downside: Emits glowing bits, making you fairly obvious during those 20 meters.

Dedicated Combat Tracking
- Allows you to spot enemies up to 150m away.
- Spotted enemies will remain spotted for up to 30 seconds.
- Spotted enemies that break line of sight will remain spotted for 15 seconds.
- Downside: You can only track one target at a time. *
- Downside: You do not relay any spotting information to any allies.
* You still receive friendly spotting information as usual.

Medical Nanite Cluster
- The player’s health will recover slowly if damaged.
- Stacks with biolab benefits.
- Downside: I mean it when I say slow; like Biolab-benefit-slow.

Construction Nanite Cluster
- Player’s ammunition count will increase slowly until full.
- Downside: I mean it when I say slow; like a single bullet every 3 seconds, a rocket every minute, and so on.
- Downside: Only provides the same things that an engineer’s ammo pack distributes.

Recognized Advanced Driver **
- Resource costs for all ground vehicles are reduced by 10%
- Stacks with other cost reduction benefits.
- Downside: Resources are pointless anyway
** Intrudes on the resource booster’s area or continental benefits area? Would it take money from SOE? Is it still viable?

Recognized Advanced Pilot **
- Resource costs for all air vehicles are reduced by 10%
** Intrudes on the resource booster’s area or continental benefits area? Would it take money from SOE? Is it still viable?

Recognized Advanced Soldier **

- Resource costs for all infantry gear are reduced by 10%
Old 2013-06-13, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
TothAval
Private

Agility improvement
fast dogde to one side, fall on the ground,
jump behind a corner - something like that

downside - can't shoot while dodging or bad accuracy.
duration - limited
cooldown - yes
Old 2013-06-13, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Lucidius
Private

No disrespect but i'm seeing several suggested implants that currently tread on the roles of other classes abilities. I'm not gonna point anything out but I believe the move to a class base system was so that stuff like healing was for the medic bar med/rest kits.

In the case of the shield recharger and health regeneration being added, I would like to see them and other suggested implants as class specific implants.

Shield Overcharge Unit:

Removes HA over shield ability. Provides the HA with a flat bonus to shields (250-300).
Downside: Reduced burst survivability, increased sustained survivability. Provides Infiltrators a more effective counter for EMP.
Use: Can be paired with Advanced Shield Capacity for even more maintained survivability
Can be paired with Nanoweave to provide more burst survivability.

Cloak Capacitor:
Expends entire shield reserve (inflicts 400-500 damage) to provide a boost to cloak regen for 10 seconds. Shield does not regen until the regen is over. Losing your shield would not make a sound.
Use: Allows the infil to cross open grounds without cover by increasing the regen speed of the cloak (which mechanically increases the cloaks time). Double purpose ability since you can use it in cover to regen your shield and move.

Universal:

Extends the range in which you can see an enemies health from 5m to 50m.

Honestly though most of this sounds like it could be a suit slot. I'm confused as to how they'll do the implants.
Old 2013-06-13, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
GS Ourous
Private

Steady Hands:

[Automatic fire only] Your first shot has no recoil and the 1st shot multiplier and recoil calculation start on the second shot. Only works on the first bullet of a magazine.
Old 2013-06-13, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Lucidius View Post
No disrespect but i'm seeing several suggested implants that currently tread on the roles of other classes abilities. I'm not gonna point anything out but I believe the move to a class base system was so that stuff like healing was for the medic bar med/rest kits.

In the case of the shield recharger and health regeneration being added, I would like to see them and other suggested implants as class specific implants.

Shield Overcharge Unit:

Removes HA over shield ability. Provides the HA with a flat bonus to shields (250-300).
Downside: Reduced burst survivability, increased sustained survivability. Provides Infiltrators a more effective counter for EMP.
Use: Can be paired with Advanced Shield Capacity for even more maintained survivability
Can be paired with Nanoweave to provide more burst survivability.

Cloak Capacitor:
Expends entire shield reserve (inflicts 400-500 damage) to provide a boost to cloak regen for 10 seconds. Shield does not regen until the regen is over. Losing your shield would not make a sound.
Use: Allows the infil to cross open grounds without cover by increasing the regen speed of the cloak (which mechanically increases the cloaks time). Double purpose ability since you can use it in cover to regen your shield and move.

Universal:

Extends the range in which you can see an enemies health from 5m to 50m.

Honestly though most of this sounds like it could be a suit slot. I'm confused as to how they'll do the implants.
Good point since the class system was chosen to prevent people from becoming super soldiers. So if the suggested implants could affect class play than yeah implants should be class specific. So now we have to think of at least 5 per class.

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-06-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2013-06-13, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Lucidius
Private

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Good point since the class system was chosen to prevent people from becoming super soldiers. So if the suggested implants could affect class play than yeah implants should be class specific. So now we have to think of at least 5 per class.

This is a really hard thing to discuss on a forum. May make a Wikia page for it.

Edit:

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Com...nt_Suggestions

Last edited by Lucidius; 2013-06-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 2013-06-14, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I'm not saying this is going to be a disaster... but....

It sounds like a lot of new and independent variables to try and balance... and given the track record - I'm not optimistic of a smooth introduction.
Old 2013-06-14, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Lucidius
Private

Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
I'm not saying this is going to be a disaster... but....

It sounds like a lot of new and independent variables to try and balance... and given the track record - I'm not optimistic of a smooth introduction.
It's not so much a list of stuff to be implemented and moreso a brainstorm for an idea the devs are already ging to be implementing. I kind of agree though.

Personally the nly implants i'm interested in are passive boosts that augment playstyles with great drawbacks. Stuff like Second Wind seem Cheap when paired with anything that gives resists to damage. Imagine MAX's with max level kinetic armor gaining another small pool of HP.

Also, as some one mentioned earlier alot of these suggestions should be suit slots (if added). It boils down to us not knowing what kind of implants they are going for and how effective can they be. That's why all we can do is throw ideas for effects up there.
Old 2013-06-14, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Ohaunlaim
Corporal

I totally agree that we should try to avoid making other class abilities available to every class via implants. The problem I see is that the devs left us too little to work with. Everything I imagined at first for an implant was already found in a class ability, suit, or other cert.

First, like everyone else, I try to avoid anything that affects weapons in anyway. If I wanted a weapon to fire faster, I just get a weapon that fires faster. Want to draw my weapon faster? Reload faster? Have better recoil? I can get anything I want, just by getting that particular weapon that fits my needs. Bonus is that they are already balanced (mostly).

So I feel that first we should try to think of implants that change things not affected by any cert so far. My first thought was the spotting mechanism.
Right now it is the same for every class and faction and so has plenty of room for implant variety. Running and jumping are possible, but a bit iffy due to lag issues and warping. Both also have certs or a classes that already touch on them.

On the other hand, there is only so much you can do so I eventually fell back to certs already existing. This time I went towards things already in the game that were universally available, and tried to add a different way to get the same thing. An example of this would be a regeneration cert. Medics are specialized in this, but every one can get med packs for their personal use. A wimpy, passive regeneration implant would allow that slot to be opened up for other things, but not really make the character OP. Medics and med packs would still be useful. Same for the wimpy, ammo generator.

Anyway, I always felt the devs added too much variety of things in from the start. There is so little room to add anything truly unique. Everything is just a small percentage different from its neighbor.

I think the only way the devs are going to be able to pump out a lot of implants is to break them into levels and allow for multiple implants per character. Something like basic regeneration, improved regeneration, advanced regeneration, dedicated regeneration, etc

Hopefully they will surprise us and come up with some truly unique stuff.
Old 2013-06-14, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Lucidius
Private

Originally Posted by Ohaunlaim View Post
On the other hand, there is only so much you can do so I eventually fell back to certs already existing. This time I went towards things already in the game that were universally available, and tried to add a different way to get the same thing. An example of this would be a regeneration cert. Medics are specialized in this, but every one can get med packs for their personal use. A wimpy, passive regeneration implant would allow that slot to be opened up for other things, but not really make the character OP. Medics and med packs would still be useful. Same for the wimpy, ammo generator.

Anyway, I always felt the devs added too much variety of things in from the start. There is so little room to add anything truly unique. Everything is just a small percentage different from its neighbor.

I think the only way the devs are going to be able to pump out a lot of implants is to break them into levels and allow for multiple implants per character. Something like basic regeneration, improved regeneration, advanced regeneration, dedicated regeneration, etc

Hopefully they will surprise us and come up with some truly unique stuff.
I agree with the latter half of the post but the foremost paragraph I defiantly don't agree with.

"They added too much stuff. People can get too many things and there isn't any uniqueness"

"Make anything unique accessable to all"

^ that's how I interpretted it anyways.
Old 2013-06-15, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Ohaunlaim
Corporal

Lucidius, Were you quoting the portion you agreed with? Or did you agree with the first portion of what you quoted but not the other half of the quote? I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly sure where you agree/disagree.

Let me try a different tact (forgive me if I explain stuff you already understand or agree with).

1. Lets keep classes as they are and not blur the lines as it were. Lets not destroy weapon/vehicle/class balance or feel with implants.

2. I tried to imagine certs that affected things not yet touched (ie the spotting mechanic)

3. There weren't enough of those things because the devs tried their hardest to have every option and variation of everything in the game from the start.

4. I went back and decided, for the sake of having more implants, that I might have to blur class lines anyway. But! I realized there were already blurry lines in game. (ie. healing- with the medic's tool, medic radial heal ability, 2 different universal med packs, and the bio-lab benefit.) So, If I stayed within the blur already there (just adding a different shade to it), then perhaps we could live with that.

4.5 Unsaid is that, where there are no blurry lines, we should try to avoid adding them. The other stuff is already messed up and, no matter how much I wish they would, the devs are pretty darn unlikely to start removing things from the game in order to "clean it up".

That's all I was trying to say. If we make implants have absolutely unique abilities and offer them to everybody, well, then I suppose we would indeed be making everything unique accessible to all. I feel they need to have implants be on a timer. They should be character static too. In other words you cant have different implants for every loadout or even for every class.
Old 2013-06-15, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Let's be frank...

We're basically talking about universal skills that we have to pay for -- either certs or $$$?

I'd rather see the effort put into fleshing out the specific roles than trying this approach.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion