My Opinion on Whats lacking in PS - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Still can't find the bathrooms at Gunuku...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-06, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

ur wrong FPSs need more then 1 hitbox
No ur[sic] wrong. FPS stands for First Person Shooter, not Shooter with Multiple hitboxes. It is fine and good for you to be disappointed. It is also fine for you to bitch about the things you don't like. But don't think that your disappointment affords you some special license to keep us from disagreeing with you.

Come back in 6 months and see if I am here. 6 months is nothing for me to continue playing a game I enjoy.
Old 2003-05-06, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
TheSHiFT
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Airlift
No ur[sic] wrong. FPS stands for First Person Shooter, not Shooter with Multiple hitboxes. It is fine and good for you to be disappointed. It is also fine for you to bitch about the things you don't like. But don't think that your disappointment affords you some special license to keep us from disagreeing with you.

Come back in 6 months and see if I am here. 6 months is nothing for me to continue playing a game I enjoy.
hmmm, yes i know what it means, but being a first person shooter w/ only a single box, barely quilifies as one.

Im glad u think its fine for me to bitch, that was aimed at the ppl who reply "if u dont like it, dont play it"

I used to have the same attitude u have for first week of playing... but then i played another week. Even if this game wasnt pay to play i still wouldnt play it.

And i will come back in 6 months, maybe youll be here, but some of the ppl youve played w/ wont be.
Old 2003-05-06, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Honstaly some of us have been following this for awhile, and are dissapointed w/ what it is, so why can't they bitch?
I dunno, just guessing, but maybe because it makes you look like a bitchy child?

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-05-06, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Cairo
Private

Originally posted by Zylos
"The headshot debate has been done a few times too many, so there is no use bringing it back up. "

Yeah....i know. But i figure if we complain enough, they will add them in.
And if some of us pray enough...

They wont

What is the point of HS? Faster kills for skill and good aim? Coming from a long time CS player like myself i welcome not dying in a matter of 2 shots. You can actually have fun staying alive just that much longer even if you WILL die in another 15 seconds.
Old 2003-05-06, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I used to have the same attitude u have for first week of playing... but then i played another week. Even if this game wasnt pay to play i still wouldnt play it.
My point exactly. This game isn't for you. Good luck in your search.

And i will come back in 6 months, maybe youll be here, but some of the ppl youve played w/ wont be.
Of course some of them won't. As time goes on and new games are released, there will always be people who leave, and there will be new players too. Are you suggesting that the game will be dying in 6 months? If that is the case, I expect that you will be too embarrassed to come back and own up to your error.
Old 2003-05-06, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Tieom
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by TheSHiFT
hmmm, yes i know what it means, but being a first person shooter w/ only a single box, barely quilifies as one.
Meaning doom 1 and 2, all three quakes and quite possibly the fourth, all "barely qualify" as FPSs to you?
Headshots do not a game make. IMHO if they ever add them it should only be for the bolt driver and only for the head, the way Tribes 2 and unreal tournament have it. The cone of fire means you likely wouldn't go for the head unless your target was standing completely still anyways...
Errata - The Ripper also does headshots (More specifically neckshots) in unreal tournament, but they are fantastically rare.
Old 2003-05-06, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Personally, Airlift, I believe you are in the minority with your opinion about an "endgame goal". Just like the people who disliked teh lattice system...

I hope you're catching my drift.
Old 2003-05-06, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Originally posted by Airlift
Hahahahaha, roflmfao... EQ was the least creative game ever written. There was not one single bit of EQ that hasn't been present in every half-assed MUD ever released for free on some college unix box since the 80s. In fact, EQ was nothing more than a 3d graphical front end for any given MU*.

Furthermore, the fact that EQ was MMO has always been a detriment to enjoying the game because it was poorly conceived and ill-designed for its own success. You had me going for a second, because you are right, Planetside is another revision of the first person shooter. However, Planetside flourishes because of its scale and design, not in spite of it like EQ.

Here's the important part: Don't be fooled by the promise of post-release content. If you are not happy with the concept and gameplay, you should not buy it. This game has a very specific market, and the unhappy people obviously are not it.

If you are here for Apartments and Lounges and deep character development, the door is behind you. If you came to join together with friends and fight progressively larger snakes and rats, the door is also behind you. If you want to understand why we are fighting and use diplomacy to win the day, the door... If you want a game where you run against a 15 minute timer and get a score sheet at the end, you are in the wrong place. If you want an Endgame where you can muster a huge force of high level players to battle some epic thing that would slaughter an army of newbs in a single round of claw claw bite, then you are still in the wrong place. If you need an endgame condition where you have beaten the game and can add it to your list of PC game conquests, there be no hope for you here.

For those of us who remain, I'll see you on the HART.
Thanks airlift for summing up my thoughts completely
Old 2003-05-06, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Personally, Airlift, I believe you are in the minority with your opinion about an "endgame goal". Just like the people who disliked teh lattice system...

I hope you're catching my drift.
Drift caught, but what are you basing this belief upon? The fact that you don't agree with me? Perhaps you've read more forum posts that say otherwise... Anything more substantial?

I fully accept that my opinion may not be in the majority, but that does not invalidate it. I am the gamer who came to play with very little preconceived notions about what the game "should be". I didn't bring in the baggage of my past gaming expectations to the beta test. Instead, I left the years of pre-beta speculation on this system or that at the door.

Let's forget all that and assume that there is this huge portion of the game missing. What is it? What is the end game that would be acceptable to you?
Old 2003-05-06, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
d0rian
Sergeant

an interesting piece of history that i got to enjoy was
ww2 online when it first came out (i got it the day it came out)

the game SUCKED. there is no denying that the game SUCKED.
it was not even BETA quality yet. One reviewer stated he had more fun throwing rocks at the box outside.

and they had the balls to charge people for it when i came out.
then they said that everyone could use it for free and be honorary beta members (like it is a privalege).

what happend is they ran out of money and needed some quick cash or go bust. this was evident in that they did not have any server hardware to support the 10000 user/copies they just sold.

the makers of that game needed to be brought up on fruad charges.

but that is not where i am going, one of the curious thing about thier forum was the how some folks where very persistant in putting down any critizism of the product. and they would blast off how great the game was and that they had no problem whatsoever. It was later found that many of these "counter-trolls" where employees. and when the people started to see this and the bitching really started to heat up, the moderators came in and selectivly deleted the more interesting critiques and posts pointing out who where actually moderators/admin/developers on the payroll.

i would not put it past sony to hire "game pumpers" even if subliminaly by accident.

i find it interesting that any time someone comes up with something about the game that is negative, game pumpers come out of the wood work to put them down.

well, you may not think that this "is my type of game". But i am in this demographic, i am a veteran in this hobbie, i have lived well though this decade of online games to know what is good and what is crap. And i know a game that has potential.

But then again i may just be an old fucker who is not young and stupid anymore and can see the load of shit comming to smack me in the face.

I may get the game. most game that are 50 dollars have about a month playability before they get old. The way i see it. i played a month for free with the beta. I can discount that month from the price in my mind. and the beta training gives me an edge over the noob twinks who will be just buying the game.
Old 2003-05-06, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I don't work for SOE, but if they want my resume I would send it over in a flash. I'm not here to put down the people who don't like the game or don't think it is ready/worth paying for. I genuinely disagree that the things suggested in this thread would make the game better.
Old 2003-05-06, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
AtomicBanana
Private

d0rian, I cannot belive that you find it so hard to belive that someone likes the game that you start suggesting he's pumping the game because he's an employee!! that's freaking mad!

Maybe he just likes the game as it is?

And don't go off on one about the creativity thing, NOTHING is really that origonal, just an amalgalmation of other ideas.. so what? The point is a lot of people like this game as it is.

You, like some many other people annoy me look at this game, and think you are somehow more important than the others that play it and are able to decide it's own fate.

Basically you are saying 'this game is boring to me, therefore it will fail unless they include my idea's'

Newsflash man, not everyone likes ure proposed idea's or changes - hell some people may think they suck, or are boring.

Speaking of burning out on things, I've burnt out on ure whining and I think I shall just stop right now
Old 2003-05-06, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
d0rian
Sergeant

i will probably get it because i am a sucker.
i do enjoy interacting with fps squad than everquest groups.
you can talk in the quite times with your squad but there are still better action than eq. i cant stand the dumb mobs in rpgs.

but i do predict that average turnover will be 2 months.
and only the hardcore will continue to play past that. that same hardcore demographic that likes to make level 50 on eq and then sell thier character on ebay for hundreds of dollars.

the one thing that could keep me playing is a continiously evolving tech/cert tree.

who cares if it creates imbalance......it will be different and sway back and forth in your benefit as time goes by.

but that is wishfull thinking. CS was a game that rocked and was played for many years and is still very popular. will planet side be able to challenge that success and become the new king kong of games?
Old 2003-05-06, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
LeonStrike
Corporal

As almost everyones mother said, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything.

One of my oddly specific mumbles that I say for no reason......................................... d0**cough**ri**cough**an

LeonStrike, MAX and Galaxy driver of the Chaos Warriors, Heavy Divison.

Old 2003-05-06, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

the one thing that could keep me playing is a continiously evolving tech/cert tree.
If that is the case, then you should probably relax. I can't speak with any authority on the subject, but new weapons, equipment and technologies are exactly the kinds of post release content that the devs have been talking about as long as I can remember. We can speculate on whether that also means rares and an economy, but I effing hope not.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion