News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 31 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dude, wheres my life?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-22, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #451
ThGlump
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
There are definitely sound technical reasons for regional servers and we've always planned on having them.
  • There are good reasons for regional servers. - No one is against that
  • There are no reasons for regional locking. - it hard split communities
  • There are no reasons for having third party account if i want to play SOE game. - Its selling us to someone with no proper online game experience, with poor security.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #452
General M
Corporal

There are definitely sound technical reasons for regional servers and we've always planned on having them.
But seriously, how hard is a ping limit?
Old 2012-02-22, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #453
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by General M View Post
But seriously, how hard is a ping limit?
Not necessarily hard, but perhaps not ideal either. I hate when I play some random generic online shooter and like once after 30 mins of playing my ping for some reason jumps above the allowed threshold and I get kicked for it, even if most of the time my ping isn't a problem.

Hmmh, overall speaking I dont think ping limits are the way to go anyways.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-22, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #454
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I'm not sure they can back out of the contract they signed, but if they don't figure something out with all of the bad PR and negative articles I have read on this, it is going to crush SOE completely.
It's not going to crush SOE completely. This does not concern majority just about.. at all.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-22, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #455
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

From their EULA:

“P7S1 Games is entitled to delete your Account, and with it your personal information, if you go for a period of more than 90 days in a row without using the Services. If you have purchased APs (see Art. IV. [1] below), P7S1 Games will delete your Account and revoke any remaining APs if you have not used the Services for a period of at least one (1) year.”

“P7S1 Games may delete data and/or refuse to store additional data if the technical limitations are exceeded, in consideration of the specifications according to Art. III 6. This applies in the event you go for a period of more than 90 days without using the Services offered by P7S1 Games. P7S1 Games will notify you prior to deleting important data.”
Fun fun fun.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #456
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I'm not sure they can back out of the contract they signed, but if they don't figure something out with all of the bad PR and negative articles I have read on this, it is going to crush SOE completely.
Crush? No. Damage reputation? Yes.

The sad thing is, Sony's reputation was climbing back up recently (last year or so) with more direct interaction with and more catering to the players.

For instance, the way the dev interaction has been going around here hasn't gone unnoticed by more than the PS1/PS2 playerbase (some sites picked up on the notion of interaction). This is going to undo the renewed goodwill to at least some extend, especially for players who were skeptic or burned before.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #457
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
It's not going to crush SOE completely. This does not concern majority just about.. at all.
Well tbh that depends on what pro7 are like, i'm not too fussed about being lockied into Europe, i mean i don't like it but i can deal with it, but i REALLY am not sure about giving my credit card details to pro7, from what i've read about them so far they just don't seem trust worthy
Old 2012-02-22, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #458
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Im not comfortable with having Pro7 dealing with the issues of the game in Europe and not SOE.
REALLY not comfortable giving them credit card details, especially since from what i read my account would just get hacked and they wouldn't give 2 shits.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #459
XLynxX
Corporal

Regional servers make perfect sense.

Locking them is illogical, it destroys communities, removes freedom of the player by being able to choose their server. Planetside 1 managed to do regional servers fine, are you seriously saying 9 years later you can't?

Also, the company you've given it to seem to be hated by their customers. They are known for bad customer service, seemingly bad ethics in their working, and have actually published lists of people online (in public view to name and shame, which is borderline breaching EU Human Rights Legisation) who are in arrears with the company. And that is for their TV licensing, who knows what they'll be like in an area they have little to no experience of.

You're effectively giving the European Planetside 2 over to the European Rupert Murdoch empire.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #460
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
Dart, I completely agree with you... SOE is making a very dumb decision here. Especially with a F2P product, boycotting giving them any money is easy to do, I just never use their cash shop. How I can have my cake, and piss in their boots. Don't give them a dime until this is made right. I'm cancelling my PS1 subscription today. Something I have never done.
Just cancelled my Ps1 sub,I filled out the survey and told them why i cancelled. In game name KLECKO
Old 2012-02-22, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #461
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
  • There are good reasons for regional servers. - No one is against that
  • There are no reasons for regional locking. - it hard split communities
Not trolling you, but I see these 2 statements as being contradictory. The good reasons for regional servers are the good reasons for regional locking.

Perhaps I'm just an old school ping snob because going back to my CounterStrike days I would always sort servers by ping and select the lowest. So I'm not really going to be crying over seeing fewer people rubberband warp on my screen.

Sure it will suck a bit for a minority of gamers who have forged bonds, but you are a minority and not trying to sound cold, but you will get over it, especially if PS2 is far more popular than PS1 ever was.

Old 2012-02-22, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #462
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Sure it will suck a bit for a minority of gamers who have forged bonds, but you are a minority and not trying to sound cold, but you will get over it, especially if PS2 is far more popular than PS1 ever was.
I cant speak for all the europeans, but reading up about this company, i doubt im the only one not willing to give them my financials
Old 2012-02-22, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #463
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MadPenguin View Post
I cant speak for all the europeans, but reading up about this company, i doubt im the only one not willing to give them my financials
To me, that sounds a bit ironic considering the "unpleasantness" that SOE had with hackers not long ago.

Old 2012-02-22, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #464
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Not trolling you, but I see these 2 statements as being contradictory. The good reasons for regional servers are the good reasons for regional locking.

Perhaps I'm just an old school ping snob because going back to my CounterStrike days I would always sort servers by ping and select the lowest. So I'm not really going to be crying over seeing fewer people rubberband warp on my screen.

Come on Raymac,the only reason for region lock these days is because the local publisher wants a locked in consumer base that they have with no competition.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #465
Qwan
Captain

Dont think ill be playing to much planetside, over half my outfit is European based guys, Actually when i think about it all of them are from Europe because I was stationed in germany when i bought the game. So i dont think ill be playing planetside 2. Well i still got diablo 3 and Tera online, they let me play with my european friends as well as BF3.

P.S. I will miss them though
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion