News: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer - Page 32 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bandwidth??? Stop making up words.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #466
Broadside
Sergeant

Re: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer

Originally Posted by Satexios View Post
Perhaps they will release two more trailers from Vanu and TR side of view?
Considering this probably took close to 4-6 months and anywhere from 600-800 thousand dollars to make I highly doubt it.
Old 2012-07-26, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #467
DeltaChan
Private

Originally Posted by Looopy View Post
absolutely epic trailer but it could have been done alot better,

Firstly, all three factions could have been represented (and most of the classes for that matter) had they done a "bigger fish in the pond" concept whereby you could start with the LA, he gets killed by a TR HA, he gets killed by a vanu sniper, sniper gets killed by a NC reaver, TR AA MAX unit shoots that down, max gets run over by lightening etc.

Secondly, this method could have allowed for more gameplay shown rather than stunts
Sounds like you're describing the BF BC2 teaser trailer.
Old 2012-07-26, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #468
Satexios
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Broadside View Post
Considering this probably took close to 4-6 months and anywhere from 600-800 thousand dollars to make I highly doubt it.
I hope they kept the receipt
Old 2012-07-26, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #469
Shogun
Contributor
General

actually this is the best SOE trailer i have ever seen!

the theme that seemed to be set in stone is breaking up:
soe + trailer = fail

and compared to the other ps2 stuff it totally rules! absolutely a whole new level of advertising!
if the website can keep up, and gets updated properly, the game can come!

soe just showed that they are willing to learn! and it seems as if a lot of our feedback to the early trailers has been heard!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-07-26, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #470
FireStormNova
Corporal

31-4-0 Hmmm? I thought the trailer was awsome over all but did seem to make the NC guy OP at first. I have no problem with trailers making a more Hero style showing of a faction but there or 3 factions. So with 3 factions does that mean 2 more videos of the other 2 factions is comming? I dought it?
I know it was probly hard for them to show everything and still try to make it a more balanced view of all faction. I have to agree with what some of the other people have said : maybe it would have been a little better if they would have shown 1 faction fighting and then rotate to another faction and kept the rotation going showing all the faction doing crazy and heroic stuff.
In all GREAT WORK ! I am sure this will make more new people want to play planetside 2 and thats what we want!
Old 2012-07-26, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #471
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

The video's view stats are still All Jacked, but if you look at the number of comments and likes, and compare them to the comments and likes from the previous teaser trailer...

Teaser trailer: 1755 likes, 1221 comments.
Full trailer: 3878 likes, 2489 comments.

So this one (after less than 24 hours) has more than double the number of likes & comments that the original had.

The teaser trailer is currently sporting 533,000 views. That puts my estimate of views well over one million.

Now if we can just get Toboscis to do a Literal trailer for it? EPIC WIN! He regularly gets 1-3 million views on those things... and I suspect there wouldn't be a lot of overlap.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #472
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Wait, was that trailer supposed to represent Planetside?

I was already sold - long before I saw this trailer, but now that I've seen it, I'm struggling to understand what SOE is trying to achieve here. Sure it looked nice, and sure the things that happened rival some of the best action-scenes in existence. But all things considered, this trailer does nothing to showcase what makes Planetside what it is.

Jet packs? That's not Planetside. Mechsuits? Nope. Big, bulky transport aircraft? Nyah, close, but certainly not the kind you can destroy by sliding on and shooting the pilot through the window. Drop pods? That's not Planetside. Cloak & Knife? Not Planetside. A single narrative of super-soldier? Fortunately not Planetside.

So what is Planetside?

1. Three factions. EDIT

This trailer was 92% NC, 7 % VS and 1% TR. I wonder who the NC's lobbyist is, but he's doing a damn good job. And now that I've been informed at this is merely pt.1 of 3, each going to showcase a specific faction, this point is irrelevant. So ignore it.

2. Persistence.

Could be included in a trailer, but not too important to represent in a cinematic (imo of course).

3. Massive numbers

Hardly emphasized enough. He might be running through an army of enemies and there might be a massive army appearing at the end, but the focus of almost the entire video is on him and other than a team mate taking an explosive shell to the face for him, he seems to be doing totally fine on his own. Show me squads! Lots and lots of squads!

4. Logistics and teamwork

Other than the beacon at the end and the Vanu having surrounded him, there was no positive representation of either teamwork or logistics. The Galaxy getting plucked out the sky by a light weapon was a mockery of teamwork; 12 guys rendered completely helpless, while they hurl towards the ground for an inevitable death. And everything else just seemed like a chaotic zerg for the most part.

And it all comes down to why? Why would SOE make a trailer that is so generic that almost any FPS-making game company could have made it? Several games create a hype by showing an un-achievable, impossible (for in-game) number of players in their trailers, so the fact that SOE does that is not sufficient. Unlike other developers, SOE is not lying about their numbers and in order to do that justice, the trailer should have focus on a lot of different things occuring simultaneously and not just one guy doing things that are not possible (shooting pilots has been confirmed to be impossible - at least for light weapons).

A way they could've represented this better, would be to start with a common satellite shot from above, giving some indication to the sheer numbers and them converging on a TR facility. It could then zoom to some NC commander sitting in a Sunderer in the process of communicating to three different platoon, first tanks, then air and then 10 man TR squad overlooking the NC infantry platoon, where the leader is nodding into the voice-com... and only then you should start with all the amazing combat sequencing. A game like this really needs to provide some better context in order to represent all the extra layers that makes it unique.

And then when it comes to the actual combat, they should've done it like Brink. A short clip for every class doing something amazing, only to have their mortality on display as another class kills them off and takes the spotlight. Preferably with the squad visibly in the shot at all times. This way the camera could jump between both classes and factions, giving a balanced view of the factions, classes and importance of teamwork all at the same time.

Last edited by Memeotis; 2012-07-26 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #473
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Re: Wait, was that trailer supposed to represent Planetside?

How many times in the history of gaming has a cinematic represented actual gameplay?
Old 2012-07-26, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #474
Sephirex
Major

This was a CGI story trailer, intended to grab people's attention.

Not an overview of game mechanics, there are plenty of trailers for those.
The hope is after seeing the attention grabber, they'll move onto the secondary game mechanic videos.

Also I'm confused by your post.
Cloak and dagger, max suits, and drop pods will all be part of Planetside 2.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-26 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #475
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

No. It wasn't supposed to represent planetside. Planetside 2 is going to be a completely different game. If you didn't know that, you are in for some let down.
It was supposed to attract new players, and it will. They wouldn't bother with CGI to make a trailer if they just wanted it to look exactly like in game footage.

Last edited by WiteBeam; 2012-07-26 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #476
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

blah blah, misguided angst. The trailer is not meant to represent gameplay (not precisely anyway). It is meant to look fantastic and make people go "oo whats planetside 2" and mind control them into google searching
Old 2012-07-26, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #477
Crator
Major General

I've always disliked cinematic trailers. Until you understand that they aren't supposed to mirror what the actual game-play is like you won't get it. It's only there to get you interested in something you know nothing about. To have people go to the website to check out what the game is about and then see actually in game footage....
Old 2012-07-26, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #478
SavageB
First Sergeant

Sorry OP, cannot say I agree with any of your points.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #479
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

It's supposed to appeal to teenagers who are used to seeing epic cinematic trailers that don't correspond at all to actual gameplay. And judging by the views it's racked up already I think it did that really well.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #480
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Yepp, better redo it... push back release, can't ship till they get it right.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion