News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 32 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Kiss ass to the admins and get your quote posted today!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-22, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #466
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

I like how people call us the minority as if the majority are going to be players that have no correlation with an outfit, guild or clan.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #467
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
To me, that sounds a bit ironic considering the "unpleasantness" that SOE had with hackers not long ago.
It's not ironic, it's sad. Sad that SOE seems to have learned nothing from that experience.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #468
Redshift
Major

To me, that sounds a bit ironic considering the "unpleasantness" that SOE had with hackers not long ago.
Difference is if the card details got abused SOE would make things right, or rather sony would because of the negative press. Pro7 just look like they'd ignore you.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #469
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
Dont think ill be playing to much planetside, over half my outfit is European based guys, Actually when i think about it all of them are from Europe because I was stationed in germany when i bought the game. So i dont think ill be playing planetside 2. Well i still got diablo 3 and Tera online, they let me play with my european friends as well as BF3.

P.S. I will miss them though
Your still going to play it and you know it.

Old 2012-02-22, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #470
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
Come on Raymac,the only reason for region lock these days is because the local publisher wants a locked in consumer base that they have with no competition.
I don't think it's the "only" reason, but I'd absolutely agree that it is the "primary" reason. That's why you have exclusivity. The other benefits are merely a side effect, but we all know this is primarily about money. But hey, SOE is a business, not a charity.

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
It's not ironic, it's sad. Sad that SOE seems to have learned nothing from that experience.
No, what I mean is that it is funny that people are saying they feel much more secure with SOE that just had a major hacking problem, but have problems with a newer company with a cleaner record. I mean I constantly hear "stupid SOE" and now everyone would rather be with SOE. That's what I think is ironic.

Old 2012-02-22, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #471
Duddy
First Sergeant

Not trolling you, but I see these 2 statements as being contradictory. The good reasons for regional servers are the good reasons for regional locking.

Perhaps I'm just an old school ping snob because going back to my CounterStrike days I would always sort servers by ping and select the lowest. So I'm not really going to be crying over seeing fewer people rubberband warp on my screen.

Sure it will suck a bit for a minority of gamers who have forged bonds, but you are a minority and not trying to sound cold, but you will get over it, especially if PS2 is far more popular than PS1 ever was.
I'm surprised you seem to think it is the minority of people that have forged international bonds over games. Perhaps in proportion for those new to PC online gaming, sure, but for those who have been playing a long time I would find hard to believe that people hadn't made such a connection.

I'd love to see actual numbers, but I think that's somewhat a peripheral point. What I find galling however is the telling people they are the minority. Got any proof of that? Even a "guesstimate"? May I suggest that if you want to propose this is not a matter for people that you back up what you say with either a well thought out conjecture or numbers to support it.

As for the technical part of the discussion, it remains an unproven variable. Ping was not a huge issue in PS1, but whatever ping/loss you did have was exacerbated by client-side and extrapolation. On the whole it was definitely playable and personally I don't think you could tell an average foreign player from a native player unless they (or you) had a very bad connection. Not to say there weren't outliers, but they existed regardless of region.

Realistically, until we know how PS2 would fair with international play we can't say whether it would be bad enough to "warrant" a region lock. But this said, going by the fact it was more than playable back in 2003, I somehow doubt it would be worse in 2012 but again this is my own conjecture and, as mentioned, have no way to prove it.

But ok, we get it, you don't think it's a problem and you think people should deal with it. But some of us (which, if you were to judge by the reaction so far, is the majority here as opposed to the minority you suggest) disagree and we'd like to know what can be done about it.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #472
MadPenguin
Sergeant

The difference here is SOE apologised, and tried to fix the problem. Pro7 just doesnt care and isnt doing anything to deal with the supposedly still on going problem
Old 2012-02-22, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #473
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Did some contemplating and I thought of ONE good reason why they would want region locking.

They might want to avoid one set of regional servers soaking up more players than the others. That way, if someone wants to play on a server close to them, it won't be dead and they won't be forced to play on some server overseas to get a decent amount of people.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #474
Fara
Corporal

After re-reading Pro7 FAQ I can't believe how angry and passionate I feel about this game (which is a good thing, means I care) but at the same time I feel like a total idot for thinking I could place my trust in SOE again.

Keep up the good work Dev team, and as for SOE executive branch have you heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futuram...ecutive_Powder ??
Old 2012-02-22, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #475
Straws
Corporal

One of the things I really loved about Planetside was that it catered for the fact that I worked nights. It allowed me to play on whichever server provided me with the most gameplay based on my life. Better still, when things changed, even though I would have to start a new character from scratch, I at least had somewhere else to go, and my previous "playground" wasn't closed off from me. In this sense, it has offered to truest MMO experience of any MMO I have played to date.

As some of you may know, Blizzard has been working for a long time to try and break the limits that are imposed on MMO developers through technology. Whilst WoW is a proven popular product, it has never (and still doesn't) allowed a true MMO experience due to how limited the number of players there are per server. They have slowly expanded the access their playerbase has with each other through various systems. Whilst the entire gameplay experience of this product is not as far reaching as instanced grouping, it's been making progress.

However, despite their progress, they have made some really poor business decisions along the way, one of which was nipped in the bud before it was implimented. The problems are that it's still not a global product, despite it's numbers. English speaking Europeans can't play with Americans, French speaking Canadians can't play with the French, etc.

The other mistake was actually made when they finally made good progress with allowing players to finally play regionally. When they finally broke down the cross server barrier, they wanted to charge it as a Premium Service for certain game types (raiding and battlegrounds). This is the one that was nipped in the bud.

Which leads me to this. Regardless of what you do with all this information that is being gathered, please do not try to profit from it. Do not "offer a compromise" of charging an extra $/£/€1 per month for access to out-of-region servers. It would be an insult and I wouldn't be surprised if it pushes more players (who experienced the prefered system SOE offered historically) away from SOE products altogether.

Last edited by Straws; 2012-02-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #476
General M
Corporal

No offence to americans, but it's not the fact that I won't be able to play US that's a massive problem but the fact that from here on in EU players are second class citizens for SOE,"they're prosieben's group and if things fuck up, they can't blame us" is an easy attitude for them to take and I've seen no evidence so far that prosieben will be any benefit to us whatsoever.

Secondly, I'm highly suspicious of the whole "we had no idea, megasoz" coming from SOE considering they have never mentioned ONCE about an EU beta. Call me a conspiracy theorist but they must have known about something, unless they were simply massively forgetful. IDK about anyone else but I asked enough about EU beta as I'm sure many others have that someone at SOE (PSU, Twitter)would have seen it and could have given info.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #477
MadPenguin
Sergeant

No, what I mean is that it is funny that people are saying they feel much more secure with SOE that just had a major hacking problem, but have problems with a newer company with a cleaner record. I mean I constantly hear "stupid SOE" and now everyone would rather be with SOE. That's what I think is ironic.
I appreciate some people have said this but i havent.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #478
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Yeah it's quite a feat that they managed to find a partner even less attractive than them when it comes to security, I'll grant them that. Couldn't have been easy.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #479
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/22/20-thi...alaplaya-deal/

Some interesting issues brought up by EQ2 players.
This is a great find - I will get this some visibility in our community as well.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-22, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #480
texico
Master Sergeant

The single biggest hit from this deal will be dedicated gaming clans not playing PS2 because they're international and will only play multiplayer games where they can play together.

This has other ramifications too. Gaming clans and guilds are highly organized. Playing PlanetSide2, it's them who would be the ones employing smart tactics to overcome another empire, just like how some of the higher profile outfits in PS1 drove a lot of the gameplay. If guilds and clans don't come to PS2, you're losing a lot of organization in battles right there. I'm not saying people won't organize themselves into outfits in PS2, but you're still losing those large multi-game highly-organized outfits.

Gameplay is going to be directly worse as a result of this, with the playerbase being more zerg-like and disorganized.

Also, I didn't say that a boycott is at all feasible, but theoretically an internet campaign'd large boycott with a clear message in which the majority of people planning to play PS2 don't for a period of time is probably the only thing that's going to do anything.

They've already signed the contracts apparently, without consulting the community AT ALL. They're not going to listen to our thoughts, if they were interested in those they would have consulted us prior to signing the deal. I don't see how they can back-track now?

Also, I suspect the devs are royally pissed about this. The game they developed doesn't need this kind of terrible negativity associated with it.

Last edited by texico; 2012-02-22 at 12:02 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion