News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 33 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Could be worse
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-22, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #481
Oryon22
First Sergeant

Would the affected parties be willing to pay a fee to play with their friends overseas?

Give EU players the option to "transfer" to a US server for a nominal fee and slightly higher ping.

Old 2012-02-22, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #482
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

If you honestly think there's no reason, outside of some nebulous corporate money-grubbing argument, for regionalization you're not thinking clearly.

Packets take time to get places, the further and more convoluted paths they have to travel means they take longer. Load up your favorite FPS that tells server location and look at your Ping - the importance of distance should become immediately apparent.
Sure, it's better these days than it was back in PS1s time. But I think the only way the game shouldn't be region locked is if the servers kick on exceeding some kind of latency threshold so dicks from other continents or on dial-up don't ruin the game for people with good connections.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #483
Vancha
Colonel

Like someone said in the other thread, contracts can be broken, albeit messily. This is not done and dusted.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Packets take time to get places, the further and more convoluted paths they have to travel means they take longer. Load up your favorite FPS that tells server location and look at your Ping - the importance of distance should become immediately apparent.
Sure, it's better these days than it was back in PS1s time. But I think the only way the game shouldn't be region locked is if the servers kick on exceeding some kind of latency threshold so dicks from other continents or on dial-up don't ruin the game for people with good connections.
We had this earlier in the thread. I got 93ms and no loss from the UK to Emerald. There were plenty of Americans that lagged about more than I did.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-22 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #484
texico
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Oryon22 View Post
Would the affected parties be willing to pay a fee to play with their friends overseas?

Give EU players the option to "transfer" to a US server for a nominal fee and slightly higher ping.
What?!?! You can absolutely guarantee that EU players aren't going to pay for something that US players get for free, that's going to be a slightly worse experience for them anyway due to ping. Or at least, they'd be highly offended by that notion.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #485
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

There must already be a ping cap system, otherwise anyone could fire up a BitTorrent client to abuse the resulting high ping and packet loss. So this is a non-issue.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #486
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
There must already be a ping cap system, otherwise anyone could fire up a BitTorrent client to abuse the resulting high ping and packet loss. So this is a non-issue.

Nope there is none and actually certain "skilled" players already do something similar.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #487
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I'm surprised you seem to think it is the minority of people that have forged international bonds over games. Perhaps in proportion for those new to PC online gaming, sure, but for those who have been playing a long time I would find hard to believe that people hadn't made such a connection.

I'd love to see actual numbers, but I think that's somewhat a peripheral point. What I find galling however is the telling people they are the minority. Got any proof of that? Even a "guesstimate"? May I suggest that if you want to propose this is not a matter for people that you back up what you say with either a well thought out conjecture or numbers to support it.
I just got my numbers from the "Out of my Butt Institute" so it's not scientific. What I was referring to really was the number of Planetside players actually left playing with each other in comparison to the hopefully vast numbers of Planetside 2 players. So I consider the current PS players a minority, and the EU players a subset of that minority.

You bring up a solid point, however, about gaming outfits / guilds in general. They are international more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hard set on advocating for region locked servers. However, I do see an upside to it, and considering what it looks like business-wise, I don't know if there is anything that can be done to change it, so I'm taking the view of, we all better start to learn to accept it and move on.

Old 2012-02-22, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #488
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Nope there is none and actually certain "skilled" players already do something similar.
Planetside has a lot of problems with cheating and hacking, I'm assuming they won't be making those mistakes again.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #489
Redshift
Major

Almost half of America doesn't have access to high speed internet last time i saw the stats, I guarantee the people here that are pissed off about this have far more capable connections and get lower pings than a good sized chunk of the usa will
Old 2012-02-22, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #490
Wakken
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
To everyone saying this doesn't affect anyone but PS1 players...

What of all the Call of Duty clans, Battlefield clans, Counter-Strike clans, TF2 clans etc. etc.?

None of those games are region-locked. Who knows how many multi-national clans might have moved over to PS2 to try it out, but decide not to because they can't play together?

Additionally, what of all the people who were thinking of giving SOE another try and decide not to because they see they still care so little about their customers? I've already seen people who had a wary interest of PS2 (due to SOE's bad reputation) stating they won't play it because SOE clearly hasn't learned...
A very good point

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #491
IronMole
Sergeant Major

If you honestly think there's no reason, outside of some nebulous corporate money-grubbing argument, for regionalization you're not thinking clearly.

/sigh.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #492
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I think those guys who get upset about the "region lock" are reading too much into the contract between SOE and ProSiebenSat1. I think this is more of a contract clause than an actual statement of them somehow enforcing a "region lock".

Planetside has a lot of problems with cheating and hacking, I'm assuming they won't be making those mistakes again.
I wouln't put my hand in the fire for that, if I was you.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #493
ThGlump
Captain

Yea. Soe is bragging about how theyll will hunt and punish hackers. Ok if they focus on it it could be done. But what will pro7 do? Will they ban hackers too, or will they ignore them? Again second grade service.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #494
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I just got my numbers from the "Out of my Butt Institute" so it's not scientific. What I was referring to really was the number of Planetside players actually left playing with each other in comparison to the hopefully vast numbers of Planetside 2 players. So I consider the current PS players a minority, and the EU players a subset of that minority.

You bring up a solid point, however, about gaming outfits / guilds in general. They are international more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hard set on advocating for region locked servers. However, I do see an upside to it, and considering what it looks like business-wise, I don't know if there is anything that can be done to change it, so I'm taking the view of, we all better start to learn to accept it and move on.
Fair point in regards to what we have here being a minority, the common phenomenon of the silent majority and the vocal minority and the same is true here.

Forgive any potential accusations, this wasn't my intent, but the approach you appear to be adopting just seems somewhat dismissive and defeatist.

Likewise I understand the positives for such a move, which is why I would support making us use a different account for US play as somewhat of a a barrier to it so that not everyone does it. But I can't accept the seemingly current plan in light of what it does to various communities.

But yeah, agreeing to disagree to a certain degree. :P
Old 2012-02-22, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #495
Wakken
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/22/20-thi...alaplaya-deal/

Some interesting issues brought up by EQ2 players.
this article must be seen by the powers.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion