News: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer - Page 33 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your IQ is bound to go up sometime by reading this.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HenchAnt
Corporal

Re: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer

I think its a very solid trailer, I liked it.

The "story" reminded me a bit of the Dawn of War Trailer, and the jumping from airplane to airplane was a bit over the top for me.

And yes, the trailer doesn't really showcase squad level teamplay.

But it's technically well done, well narrated. And with a project this big, I can't blame Sony to play it save.

And the trailer manages to showcase three important facts:
- Massive battles. This will be even more impressive once players learn that there are no NPC. While huge armies are nothing special to Planetside trailer, it gets special once the "all this are players" aspect sinks in.
- Infantry matters. Even against Airplanes. They could have gone the easy way and show have some airplanes saving the day by mopping everything up as the climax of the trailer. They didn't. They showed infantry getting to a strategical advantageous position to get in more infantry.

On a more sublte note:
The trailer shows an NC outfit slicing through the TR Zerg only to be stopped cold by a VS empire raid.

The trailer doesn't busy itself with showcasing the usual stuff (this are our classes, this are our vehicles), but cuts to the "this are ways to play our massive game" part. All presented with lots of action and explosions, of course.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
TheDrone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HenchAnt View Post
I think its a very solid trailer, I liked it.

The "story" reminded me a bit of the Dawn of War Trailer, and the jumping from airplane to airplane was a bit over the top for me.

And yes, the trailer doesn't really showcase squad level teamplay.

But it's technically well done, well narrated. And with a project this big, I can't blame Sony to play it save.

And the trailer manages to showcase three important facts:
- Massive battles. This will be even more impressive once players learn that there are no NPC. While huge armies are nothing special to Planetside trailer, it gets special once the "all this are players" aspect sinks in.
- Infantry matters. Even against Airplanes. They could have gone the easy way and show have some airplanes saving the day by mopping everything up as the climax of the trailer. They didn't. They showed infantry getting to a strategical advantageous position to get in more infantry.

On a more sublte note:
The trailer shows an NC outfit slicing through the TR Zerg only to be stopped cold by a VS empire raid.

The trailer doesn't busy itself with showcasing the usual stuff (this are our classes, this are our vehicles), but cuts to the "this are ways to play our massive game" part. All presented with lots of action and explosions, of course.
It's not clear at all "massive battles" are PS2's thing.
Look at the trailers I posted. None of those have massive battles as a gameplay mechanic, yet some of them feature massive battles.
It's a pretty common trope to get the epic effect in trailers.
PS2 should've tried to stand out in a different way.

The impression it gave is "woah that guy is overpowered". They could've framed that with some context. Made it look less effortless. More human. But that would've dragged the trailer out.

Lots of explosions? Lots of actions? I disagree.

Originally Posted by RageMasterUK View Post
I thought the trailer pwned...

I dont see a newly released trailer and think "OMG Im gonna compare it to seven other trailers". I do all my 'feeling' while Im watching. Even if the first-contact viewers get misunderstandings about gameplay I DGAF. They will search for gameplay footage unless they want to pre-judge the game from an FMV like idiots, theres plenty of that to find on youtube already. And none of the games are like the FMVs you posted. Its called ARTISTIC REPRESENTATION, which is what FMV is all about.

It worked for the purpose intended... makes people say "Planetside 2" a whole lot more in the future.

Take TheDrone for instance, it drummed up enough hype for him to go searching out other trailers and writing two massive posts about it here. Your interest just got DRIVEN lol. Mine too, evidently

-RageMasterUK
I do admit I'm being a bit weird by using my brain. I've been diagnosed with "Brain Use". It's a rare disorder, which can be compared by for example using one's pancreas, since, as we all know, the brain is an unused organ by humans.
Currently there is no real cure for my condition, which is a shame as it has some effects such as a deep unhappiness and a profound alienation from people.
On occasion it also causes me to use my brain while watching a trailer.

As I've said a few times in the past, I understand completely that a cinematic trailer requires a healthy dose of artistic licence.
But it should still convey SOMETHING of the game. The atmosphere propagated by the combination of the story and gameplay.

There is literally nothing that makes PS2 seem special in that trailer. Nothing at all.
It's incredibly generic and people who don't already know PS2 are sure to have forgotten about it soon.

BTW, this was, by definition, NOT an FMV.
Show how much you know.

Oh and I didn't get motivated to look up trailers because of the PS2 trailer. I know my trailers.

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
PS's story is lobotomized to start with...

Smurfs killing Barneys killing Elmos. Repeat. The trailer could have been a crazed episode of Sesame street and done a better job of reflecting the lore of PS.
It's actually surprisingly rich for an FPS. Look into the lore.
And not only that, there is the fact that faction loyalty which, contrary to many if not most games, actually WORKS in PS2. That's why they've been drumming that up so much.

And I'm talking about the story of the trailer. That's REALLY important in a cinematic trailer.

My bad. I must have missed the gazillion Vanu at the end, and the Drop Pods, the galaxies that "Chief" climbed over like a boss, and the hordes of dudes he jumped through at the beginning.
I'm talking exceptional scale.

And even then, huge scale battles are so commonly used in cinematic trailers to convey a sense of epicness that it's doubtful that it could be easily communicated PS2 is special in this regard. It didn't work in this trailer.

Fair point, but it really doesn't take away from the trailer too much. And again, none of the trailers, especially for TOR accurately showed what was going to happen in the game...

Not to mention that PS is upheld by the zerg, who ignore teamplay and outfits. This trailer appeals to them mostly.
I'm not saying the trailer should've literally showed what was to happen in the trailer. If you look my comment history it's obvious I know very well what a trailer is supposed to do.

But it should at least convey SOMETHING of what is unique about the game.

Im taking this to mean more CGI...

Nope. I'm guessing you're not familiar as to how to use the terminology.

I'm not talking about adding more computer generated images. I'm talking about different ones. Or at the very least better ones. But preferably different.

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
You'll get used to it. It's okay if you criticize something about and suggest a few tweaks, but if you ever say that something about a game is downright bad, people tend to instantly assume that you hate the entire game. They therefore skim through your post, sticking to their assumption; thinking they know exactly what you're going to say, and then they take a part and reply to it out of context.

Don't take it personally, I know I don't. I'm planning to become a sociologist, so I actually find it kind of interesting.

I experienced it on the dust 514 beta forums too, where when I'd come up with gameplay ideas people were like 'omg how did you come up with that?!', but then when you wrote strong critique they think you're either dumb, a bad player, or a troll.
Thanks for the nice post.

You find it interesting because you're a sociologist. I find it very tiring and I almost wish I were a murderous sociopath. Maybe that would make living a little easier, perhaps.

In a sense I'm sure it's me tho.

The crazy thing is that I'm not criticizing the game, but just a trailer.

Last edited by TheDrone; 2012-07-26 at 03:48 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post

I'm talking exceptional scale.

And even then, huge scale battles are so commonly used in cinematic trailers to convey a sense of epicness that it's doubtful that it could be easily communicated PS2 is special in this regard. It didn't work in this trailer.
How can you improve on the scale shown in the video without it turning into a bunch of nonsense?

This is the one TRUE thing to PS that was somewhat accurately represented in the trailer.

Just because other games lie about their scale doesn't mean that PS need to try to 1 up it. It already has it.

Originally Posted by HenchAnt View Post
(I liked it a lot more than that inane Assassin Creeds 3 trailer.)

Yeah, I dont get why that was even posted.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-07-26 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
TheDrone
Sergeant

How can you improve on the scale shown in the video without it turning into a bunch of nonsense?

This is the one TRUE thing to PS that was somewhat accurately represented in the trailer.

Just because other games lie about their scale doesn't mean that PS need to try to 1 up it. It already has it.
As I've said before and should have been obvious from what I've said: I'm saying different, not necessarily more.

And how are people supposed to differentiate the "real" scale of PS2 with the "fake" scale of the other trailers? It's not really a selling point for trailers.

Yeah, I dont get why that was even posted.

Because it used relatively few means (almost no background, a lot of cookie-cutter models) and used pauses to build dramatic tension. That's why.

See this is something I can complain about. What drew me into PS2 was the screen shots with the TRONish night fight feel. Clashing colors all around and beautiful explosions.

But hey, this is a war game after all, better make it all gritty and whatnot.

That and the music. Where is Don's music?
That music of the game isn't really well-suited to be used for trailer music. That's why a lot of trailers in film and games use pre-made trailer music (usually made by Audiomachine, Two Steps From Hell, ...) because that is easier to edit and usually has a faster "beat" compared to normal soundtracks, this to accommodate the usually faster pace of trailers.

And the comment about the colors is quite correct. It wasn't obvious there were 3 factions.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

As I've said before and should have been obvious from what I've said: I'm saying different, not necessarily more.

And how are people supposed to differentiate the "real" scale of PS2 with the "fake" scale of the other trailers? It's not really a selling point for trailers.
Right. Well explain how you would "differently" pull off exceptional scale.

Because it used relatively few means (almost no background, a lot of cookie-cutter models) and used pauses to build dramatic tension. That's why.
IMO PS isn't really a game that would benefit from that in a trailer. Or at least 1 cinematic trailer. If they were doinga a "meet the cloaker class" or something similar in a cinematic trailer this could be used a bit more effectively.

Nah, big battles with fast action is the way to go for PS. Nonstop mayhem and boom. That is what draws new people to PS.

That music of the game isn't really well-suited to be used for trailer music. That's why a lot of trailers in film and games use pre-made trailer music (usually made by Audiomachine, Two Steps From Hell, ...) because that is easier to edit and usually has a faster "beat" compared to normal soundtracks, this to accommodate the usually faster pace of trailers.
Eh, I just don't get why they couldn't have come up with a trailer version of PS1's theme and cut it to sync with the appropriate action scenes. They were willing to shove out the bucks on getting a professional trailer done but skimped out on the music to attenuate people to the action.

Look at Halo's music. The guitar in the theme got added and overcharged with each installment. Could've done something as well for PS.

And the comment about the colors is quite correct. It wasn't obvious there were 3 factions.
Indeed. The TR could have used a bit more red all over with their MAXs at the least.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-07-26 at 04:21 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Steambot
Private

I think everyone is getting way to caught up in this, personally.

I thought the trailer kicked ass, and that's really all there is to say about it. I am not an expert on game trailers, but I know when I like something.

I've watched that thing three times today, and three times I thought it was awesome.

This argument is getting out of hand.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Deadeye
Sergeant

I did notice he was hunkered down with a medic treating someone when he hid behind that rock for a couple seconds. Does that count as showing teamplay?

The trailer was fine, guys. If people want more information, they'll look up the other trailers. Only the idiots we don't care about are going to go on this one trailer for anything.

I wonder about one thing though: Is there going to be a drop pod beacon in the game?

Last edited by Deadeye; 2012-07-26 at 03:53 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
rhilir
Private

great video. Ended the way it show with vs comming in force.
Old 2012-07-26, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by rhilir View Post
great video. Ended the way it show with vs comming in force.
Yup Yet the way they were so organised can only mean one thing...

They have just finished ghost hacking the other continents
Old 2012-07-26, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Boomhowser View Post
Yup Yet the way they were so organised can only mean one thing...

They have just finished ghost hacking the other continents
And that's why we always win... Because we're sneaky cloakers who like to backhack and front stab.
Old 2012-07-26, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I watched it again after sitting on my left eye for a few minutes until it went numb, so it felt like someone else watching.
Old 2012-07-26, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
I watched it again after sitting on my left eye for a few minutes until it went numb, so it felt like someone else watching.
l'etranger

Old 2012-07-26, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
And that's why we always win... Because we're sneaky cloakers who like to backhack and front stab.
don't I just know it!!
Old 2012-07-26, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Only thing I didn't like about the trailer was that it had too much grey and brown. Planetside 2 is colorful and I would have liked to see the colors stand out a bit more.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by PoisonTaco View Post
Only thing I didn't like about the trailer was that it had too much grey and brown. Planetside 2 is colorful and I would have liked to see the colors stand out a bit more.
See this is something I can complain about. What drew me into PS2 was the screen shots with the TRONish night fight feel. Clashing colors all around and beautiful explosions.

But hey, this is a war game after all, better make it all gritty and whatnot.

That and the music. Where is Don's music?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion