News: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer - Page 34 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: warez.... ban!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #496
Gonzo
Private

Re: Wait, was that trailer supposed to represent Planetside?

Does anyone remember the CGI trailers for Star Wars: The Old Republic? (Probably)

Because they kick major ass, and look frikken awesome.

They definitely, however, do not show one bit of gameplay, or anything like the gameplay of SW:TOR. That isn't their job. They are specifically designed to be cool, and pull people's interest towards the game, building hype and such.

Last edited by Gonzo; 2012-07-26 at 01:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #497
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer

Awesome trailer, shows SOE are taking the marketing of PS2 seriously, i hope this eye candy will help get the game the attention it deserves and pull in plenty of new players.

Old 2012-07-26, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #498
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Broadside View Post
Considering this probably took close to 4-6 months and anywhere from 600-800 thousand dollars to make I highly doubt it.
The trailer was done by Blur Studios and they aren't cheap. I got a friend who works at Relic and he was telling me that they charge $1 million for every 60 seconds.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #499
Dsent
Private

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
I was already sold - long before I saw this trailer, but now that I've seen it, I'm struggling to understand what SOE is trying to achieve here. Sure it looked nice, and sure the things that happened rival some of the best action-scenes in existence. But all things considered, this trailer does nothing to showcase what makes Planetside what it is.

Jet packs? That's not Planetside. Mechsuits? Nope. Big, bulky transport aircraft? Nyah, close, but certainly not the kind you can destroy by sliding on and shooting the pilot through the window. Drop pods? That's not Planetside. Cloak & Knife? Not Planetside. A single narrative of super-soldier? Fortunately not Planetside.
Wrong and wrong, you CAN get on top of a transport aircraft and u can shoot the pilot. Smedley has already confirmed both of these things. Oh and everything u mentioned there is planetside, so wtf are u talking about?
Old 2012-07-26, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #500
Envenom
Sergeant Major

This is the worst thread on the entire forum.

Last edited by Envenom; 2012-07-26 at 02:09 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #501
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I enjoyed the trailer - but I don't think it did a great job of showing (even in a CGI-world) what sets PS2 apart from every other FPS.

ex. a friend of mine that I've been hyping PS2, too... he didn't even pickup on first view that there were 3 factions in the video... and I can see it. The trailer is so focused on one light assault running 'Rambo' through a blur of enemies... that when an untrained eye finally catches what's going on - he identified the 'big transport planes' - then again.. he saw the 'big transport planes' at the end of the video.

Maybe if the trailer had been longer... and showed a wider shot of the clearly different VS army sweeping into the battle and attacking the front lines of the TR and NC... perhaps focused on some combat involving the faction-specific vehicles - I think it would've had more impact.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #502
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dsent View Post
Wrong and wrong, you CAN get on top of a transport aircraft and u can shoot the pilot. Smedley has already confirmed both of these things. Oh and everything u mentioned there is planetside, so wtf are u talking about?
Show me the link. I just remember (I think it was Higby in some interview) how they were concerned about big galaxies getting plucked out of the sky by light weapons.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #503
IHateMMOs
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I agree with this. Even though I'm NC, I still didn't like seeing one NC slaughter an entire army of TR. It's just not "war-like". 90% of the stuff in the trailer is impossible to do, like run on a Galaxy? Shoot at it and kill everyone inside? A TANK SHELL couldn't break through a LIBERATOR, but bullets break through a Galaxy? Comon, SOE was on a good trailer streak, and this just pissed me the hell off. But they did pay alot for this trailer, so we should all still appreciate it. If only it actually represented Planetside, and not Halo, I would have been much more thankful.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #504
TheDrone
Sergeant

I'd like to do an exercise with you guys.

You have the PlanetSide 2 trailer.

Now we'll see some other trailers and compare each of them with the PS2 trailer.

Each and every single one of those trailers is better than the PS2 trailer. Literally each and every single one.

It's blatantly obvious that the trailer was a pretty cheap production. It's too short to tell its story. It has a generic voice-over that could've been of any combat videogame ever.
Very, very few effects. Very few animated models, a lot of statics actually.
Big-ass galaxies used to reduce render time by blocking the most part of the screen.

The trailer was too short to properly understand the abysmal story it was trying to tell.

Therefore there was no story element. There were no "woah" mechanics shown or other cool things.

The "scale" was in fact not that impressive and often used in a lot of CGI trailers as a lot of games offer the scale, but in their story, not in the form of gameplay.

All in all it was an incredibly uninspired, way too short, unappealing and forgettable trailers.

They limited the action to one model because then they'd only have to rig one model. Probably no new mocap required.

There was one explosion which was very underwhelming if you look at what Blur Studio can do.

The dramatic pacing was all wrong and we're obviously missing a first act.

What's with the incredibly stupid and generic voice-over? What's he saying? And why? It doesn't fit in the PS2 narrative at all, and is completely uninteresting to people who don't know the game and lore.

Due to the horrible color palette and the few models we actually get to see it's not even obvious there are 3 factions.

I could go on bashing this trailer...
Old 2012-07-26, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #505
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
This is the worst thread on the entire forum.
Well, if you're going to be a dick, then write a paragraph at least.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #506
MercDT
Sergeant

Off topic, OP where did you read that this video is part 1 out of 3?
Old 2012-07-26, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #507
Hyiero
Private

Drop pods aren't planetside? seriously dude,when was the last time you played planetside?? Not but 2 months ago everyone on the forums was buzzing about being able to see what drop pods looked like in ps2...
Old 2012-07-26, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #508
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Are you new to the internet and games? I would like to know, because it's just mind blowing when I see your post.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #509
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by IHateMMOs View Post
I agree with this. Even though I'm NC, I still didn't like seeing one NC slaughter an entire army of TR. It's just not "war-like". 90% of the stuff in the trailer is impossible to do, like run on a Galaxy? Shoot at it and kill everyone inside? A TANK SHELL couldn't break through a LIBERATOR, but bullets break through a Galaxy? Comon, SOE was on a good trailer streak, and this just pissed me the hell off. But they did pay alot for this trailer, so we should all still appreciate it. If only it actually represented Planetside, and not Halo, I would have been much more thankful.
Exactly. It's almost as if there's a rule that when making a cinematic: LIE, LIE, LIE. SOE is pushing the boundaries, bringing us to the cusp of a potential video game-revolution; this means you don't have to lie anymore. :/ Just show what you actually have and it will still blow as many minds.

Originally Posted by MercDT View Post
Off topic, OP where did you read that this video is part 1 out of 3?
Hop into the chat on PSU. A couple of the guys instantly told me 'dude, this is only part one of three. There's one for each faction'

Last edited by Memeotis; 2012-07-26 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #510
Blue
Private

Thumbs down Re: Wait, was that trailer supposed to represent Planetside?

*YAWN*
ctrl c ctrl v [everything that anyone said in reply to this thread]

It was awesome and is definitely going to grab peoples attention in the movie theater/tv/whatever else they put it on.

This game will be epic because they are opening the flood gates to tens of thousands of gamers. People will see this, type in planetside into google. And that's where they will learn it is a persistant free to play fpsmmorpg with gigantic landscapes including thousands of players using dynamic well balanced warfare tactics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion