News: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer - Page 35 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PlanetSide cheats found in the Downloads section, go now.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #511
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Re: Wait, was that trailer supposed to represent Planetside?

While the TR contracted Storm Trooper-itis, the NC "chief" led the charge, ramboing his way through multiple Storm Toopers, escaping the ire of the enemy MAX, and then finally going through and destroying a Gal with his pea-shooter.

However, while you might THINK that this promotes going off on your own, in the end, his lack of proper communication with allies and lack of friends to back him up made it so the obviously superior Vanu Teamwork could essentially lure his freshly respawned troops into a trap and take over the base from the Storm Troopers.

On the other hand, someone who just saw and knows nothing of PS2 would probably think: "Huh, so basically you're this guy in blue armor that has to go through and fight guys in red armor, and then out of no-where hot alien chicks show up... Is this a Crysis clone?"

The beauty of it though, is that CGI trailers are meant to get people interested. It doesn't have to convey true play. When people go to the website (or when they create a character, pending their ability to pay attention) they'll start to see: "Hey, I can PLAY the hot alien chick/baddass blue guy... and I guess they aren't aliens but who cares."

Then, they get a little further, see a half-dozen Gals idling... go past them thinking they are scenery or something, but they'll eventually get into a battle, eventually join a squad and realize, the trailer wasn't that far off... all those vehicles, the use of strategy, the poor aim of the TR*, everything.

Revelation does not need to happen from the CGI Trailer, it can happen in-game or via followup research into the game.

*(I do think it sucks for TR to be the Storm Troopers though, just because they'll be largely overlooked by that small subset of people.)
Old 2012-07-26, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #512
TheDrone
Sergeant

I'd like to do an exercise with you guys.

You have the PlanetSide 2 trailer.

Now we'll see some other trailers and compare each of them with the PS2 trailer.

Each and every single one of those trailers is better than the PS2 trailer. Literally each and every single one.

It's blatantly obvious that the trailer was a pretty cheap production. It's too short to tell its story. It has a generic voice-over that could've been of any combat videogame ever.
Very, very few effects. Very few animated models, a lot of statics actually.
Big-ass galaxies used to reduce render time by blocking the most part of the screen.

The trailer was too short to properly understand the abysmal story it was trying to tell.

Therefore there was no story element. There were no "woah" mechanics shown or other cool things.

The "scale" was in fact not that impressive and often used in a lot of CGI trailers as a lot of games offer the scale, but in their story, not in the form of gameplay.

All in all it was an incredibly uninspired, way too short, unappealing and forgettable trailers.

They limited the action to one model because then they'd only have to rig one model. Probably no new mocap required.

There was one explosion which was very underwhelming if you look at what Blur Studio can do.

The dramatic pacing was all wrong and we're obviously missing a first act.

What's with the incredibly stupid and generic voice-over? What's he saying? And why? It doesn't fit in the PS2 narrative at all, and is completely uninteresting to people who don't know the game and lore.

Due to the horrible color palette and the few models we actually get to see it's not even obvious there are 3 factions.

I could go on bashing this trailer...
Old 2012-07-26, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #513
ArcGuard
Corporal

Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
Please, do go on. We're all dying to hear your opinion.

I don't even know how to respond to this... because none of it make sense. But okay, I guess obviously all those things you said. Rage! grr! etc.

Trailer was good, albeit maybe a little too fast pace. But good.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #514
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ArcGuard View Post
Please, do go on. We're all dying to hear your opinion.
Seriously. I'm one the edge of my seat waiting to hear it as well.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #515
TheDrone
Sergeant

I'm suddenly not as motivated anymore as criticism isn't welcome, apparently.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #516
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer

I'd like to do an exercise with you guys.

You have the PlanetSide 2 trailer.

302 Found

Now we'll see some other trailers and compare each of them with the PS2 trailer.

Each and every single one of those trailers is better than the PS2 trailer. Literally each and every single one.

It's blatantly obvious that the trailer was a pretty cheap production. It's too short to tell its story. It has a generic voice-over that could've been of any combat videogame ever.
Very, very few effects. Very few animated models, a lot of statics actually.
Big-ass galaxies used to reduce render time by blocking the most part of the screen.

The trailer was too short to properly understand the abysmal story it was trying to tell.

Therefore there was no story element. There were no "woah" mechanics shown or other cool things.

The "scale" was in fact not that impressive and often used in a lot of CGI trailers as a lot of games offer the scale, but in their story, not in the form of gameplay.

All in all it was an incredibly uninspired, way too short, unappealing and forgettable trailers.

They limited the action to one model because then they'd only have to rig one model. Probably no new mocap required.

There was one explosion which was very underwhelming if you look at what Blur Studio can do.

The dramatic pacing was all wrong and we're obviously missing a first act.

What's with the incredibly stupid and generic voice-over? What's he saying? And why? It doesn't fit in the PS2 narrative at all, and is completely uninteresting to people who don't know the game and lore.

Due to the horrible color palette and the few models we actually get to see it's not even obvious there are 3 factions.

*sigh*

It seems someone is very bored. I mean, really... all this just to bash a trailer? Get over it already! It was an epic PS2 trailer and just becuase it was all SUPER UBER, you...
Old 2012-07-26, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #517
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

As a marketing tool i think it works just fine, i don't think anyone expects a realistic depiction of game-play in a CGI trailer.

Old 2012-07-26, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #518
Temperance
Private

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
And now that I've been informed at this is merely pt.1 of 3, each going to showcase a specific faction, this point is irrelevant. So ignore it.
Umm...source???

Last edited by Temperance; 2012-07-26 at 03:06 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #519
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

If you are gunna dish it out be prepared to get served some as well.

Shit was good yo.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #520
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I really think people miss the point of trailers completely.

It's a cinematic movie more or less a "day in the life of this guy" kind of set up. It's meant to attract attention and gauge drool value, not blare out "hey this is what we do!". The Hope trailer featured a whole lot of troopers and sith, very few of the other classes though. This didn't tell the community "this game will be all about troopers and sith".

Settle down people.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #521
ArcGuard
Corporal

Oh no! Tragic loss. Tragic.

But seriously "criticism" is not going "This sucks! This is stupid! Why couldn't it have been made like a carbon copy of these (Which I totally like way better, so obviously everyone else does)!? This sucks!"

Edit: Suddenly we're on page 35! Yay thread mergers!
Old 2012-07-26, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #522
TheDrone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Reizod View Post
*sigh*

It seems someone is very bored. I mean, really... all this just to bash a trailer? Get over it already! It was an epic PS2 trailer and just becuase it was all SUPER UBER, you...
My god. This is insane. I really, really, really, really like Planetside and I love Higby, and I want to have babies with his hair. I have 97 TR tattoes and one of the other two factions for good measure.

But I'm not so blinded that I can't see that trailer was downright BAD.

Seriously, be HONEST (like, don't lie to yourself) and look at other trailers.

I chose those for good reason, BTW. All of them prove it's possible to make a good trailer with limitations in this or that department.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #523
ArcGuard
Corporal

I saw the trailer and said to myself "Hey, that was a pretty fine trailer. I bet other people who aren't into planetside yet would love to see this"

And as such, it was VERY successful.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #524
Xyntech
Brigadier General

My god. This is insane. I really, really, really, really like Planetside and I love Higby, and I want to have babies with his hair. I have 97 TR tattoes and one of the other two factions for good measure.

But I'm not so blinded that I can't see that trailer was downright BAD.

I chose those for good reason, BTW. All of them prove it's possible to make a good trailer with limitations in this or that department.
My favorite part is where you posted this on the previous page, didn't get enough of a response, so decided to post it again on this page
Old 2012-07-26, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #525
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
We can talk about it till we are blue in the face but it is what it is.
/shrug

Planetside is a cult unto itself, for anyone who ever played it. We're the FPS answer to Trekkies. We're going to put everything under a microscope and yell about it endlessly. That's a given.

That said: The teaser promised us a peek at THE REBELS! THE PROFESSIONALS! THE VISIONARIES! The second half -- or even the last third -- of that damn thing should have had the smurf getting shot up by a coordinated Terran squad, who proceed to cover each other and take on the pod-dropping NC and bark out military-sounding radio chatter to each other until the sole survivor gets shanked by the Vanu ninja chicks and we see the incoming purple horde. That would have been fine. Three sides. Rock paper scissors weaponry. You embed that concept seamlessly into the narrative.

And then we see the NC narrator appear back in his spawn tube and hear him grind out something like "THEN WE GO OUT AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN." Respawning isn't a gaming mechanic handwave in PS; it's part of the setting. It's lore. They failed to show that. It would have been easy to embed *that* into the narrative. It would have only taken a few seconds. I was EXPECTING super-smurf to dissolve into the ground and respawn. Why didn't he?

Now that would still have been smurf-centric as hell, but everybody would have had their little FUCK YEAH GO US moment. It would have planted the seeds of the ideas of what makes each faction different and how the game itself works. The TEASER had that quality, for Christ's fucking sake! The gameplay trailer had it. This didn't.

All I took from it was the small thrill of seeing in-game vehicles and equipment and the knowledge that SOE is willing to put some serious advertising bucks into this venture. But even as an ad, it falls halfway flat. My butthurt as a tech pubs guy goes way beyond the TR getting no air time except as incompetent cannon fodder. There's so much wasted potential here.

Ah well. We'll always have the teaser. And the game itself, natch.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-07-26 at 03:13 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion