News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 39 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: have i ever told you that you look sexy in MAX armor
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-22, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #571
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Old 2012-02-22, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #572
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GalacticaActual View Post
The block is the problem! Live in the UK and wanna play on the US servers? Not allowed, gotta play on the Pro7 ones. Want a US player to play on the Pro7 servers? Not gonna happen.
So sorry, think there may have been a misunderstanding here.

I merely was arguing against the idea that given the choice all EU players would play US.

I know the idea of going where the fight is seems prevalent given the behaviours of PS, but I was working under the assumption there would be a lot more players so by comparison the EU wouldn't appear under-populated anyway.
Old 2012-02-22, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #573
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Nephilimuk View Post
Ha. I was thinking along similar lines yesterday. We'd gotten back with SOE because they swore they'd stopped drinking and promised not to hit us anymore and then...Oh, look, another black eye from a flailing arm.
Old 2012-02-22, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #574
Figment
Lieutenant General

Interesting how a FAQ on even one forum can generate around 50-60 pages of discussion within a day.

And that's just our forum.
Old 2012-02-22, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #575
stefman
Private

Wish some #SOE high ups were on Splitpaw right now and reading /1-9. Heartbreaking seeing people saying goodbye to each other #EQ2

I know this isnt an eq forum but this happening over there is going to be happening in ps2 as people move from 1 to 2 and have to say there goodbye's and stay in there own region.7 nearly 8 years ive played with people across soe games there's been high's there's been low's ive made some great freands ill miss you guys my eq2 peoaple and everyone ive met.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #576
jakaul
Sergeant

Man, I'm sad to say SOE has become pretty much the same as EA. It's like a competition to see who can screw the customer the hardest before the customer stops taking it.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #577
stefman
Private

Been talking to customer service's and they cant even guarantee my information wont be passed on to this company they just said they didn't know and couldn't guarantee anything so guess there as in the dark as any one else
Old 2012-02-22, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #578
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Ha. I was thinking along similar lines yesterday. We'd gotten back with SOE because they swore they'd stopped drinking and promised not to hit us anymore and then...Oh, look, another black eye from a flailing arm.
Well once we promise to just stay in the kitchen, then we won't get another black eye.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #579
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

Just want to say, please keep the shit slinging to where it belongs - on the business decisions being very questionable.

This is nothing the dev team has on their hands, certainly not the guys and girls in the trenches doing awesome art and coding. They are probably proud as hell to show off the latest game ready prop. Don't stomp on them.

If they're anything like any developer I know or have worked with, they care passionately about their creation. Having a bean counter making a move like this to your baby is a truly gut wrenching thing. I've been there.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #580
jakaul
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Boomzor View Post
Just want to say, please keep the shit slinging to where it belongs - on the business decisions being very questionable.

This is nothing the dev team has on their hands, certainly not the guys and girls in the trenches doing awesome art and coding. They are probably proud as hell to show off the latest game ready prop. Don't stomp on them.

If they're anything like any developer I know or have worked with, they care passionately about their creation. Having a bean counter making a move like this to your baby is a truly gut wrenching thing. I've been there.
I hate to disagree with you being a developer myself, buuuut...

There are definitely sound technical reasons for regional servers and we've always planned on having them. - Higby
You telling me that the development team had zero input on this after that statement?
Old 2012-02-22, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #581
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Boomzor View Post

This is definitely something to keep in mind and it does look like they're doing awesome work but it'll be scant consolation to anyone who is separated from their community by this "business decision".
Old 2012-02-22, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #582
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by jakaul View Post
I hate to disagree with you being a developer myself, buuuut...

You telling me that the development team had zero input on this after that statement?
Regional servers and regional lockouts are not the same. You do know this right?
Old 2012-02-22, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #583
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

I'm thinking about the comments in the line of "Can't really care for the new weapons cause it's just the sugar to hide the gall we had to swallow".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a horrible decision to rip apart communities that have grown over years. A lot of the people I have on my various friends lists comes from the early days of PS 2003, but I refuse to turn that into flak aimed at the grunt developers. No way.

Jakul, then you also know that there's quite a few steps between the people who did the art and the managers who get to say anything on a public forum. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 2012-02-22, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #584
jakaul
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
Regional servers and regional lockouts are not the same. You do know this right?
Of course I know that, but I'm also combining information. If the INTENT was regional servers with no regional restrictions on who accessed them, the statement wasn't necessary. He could have just said "Oh, don't worry, you can pick your server." He obviously didn't, which is a HUGE indicator to me that there was a technical case made for a clear separation, meaning a technical decision to not allow Euros on US servers and vice versa.

Boomzor, I don't think anyone has really had a go at the developers or trashed them. Again, I'm sure from a GAME perspective, they're doing incredible work and I'm also sure that they're very passionate about what they're making. I love that. But what I'm gathering from here is the statement being a *technical* justification for what we consider the worst case (lockout). If it were simply a business decision, why wouldn't he just say "Oh wow, I'm hitting Smedley up about this because there's no technical reason for it" ?

Maybe my point of view is not accurate or fair, but that's the way I read it at this point in time. Trust me, I'd love nothing more than Mr. Higby to come here and tell me I'm the biggest idiot in the world and not to worry about it. :P

Last edited by jakaul; 2012-02-22 at 07:12 PM.
Old 2012-02-22, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #585
Strucker
Private

I hope, that when I wake up tomorrow morning, all this turns out to be just a bad dream.
That is all I am going to say to that.

Regards
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion