Higby wants to know what we think about GU9 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are there no serious quotes up here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-26, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Re: Higby wants to know what we think about GU9

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Graphics evolve with the times. I'm all for better optimization but an old PC is an old PC. Should game play mechanics suffer in a game that is supposed to be about big battles cause not everyone's PC can handle it? I just don't see how they can provide small scale battles in a game like this. They do happen, yes, but it's easy for them to turn into large battles. That's even with the hex system too.
Yes, hex system had the same problem with performance too, but since lattice is all predefined lanes, it's so much more often that battles turn into big ones.

I doubt there are many people that have absolutely no performance problems in the game. I'd say 99% of the players are under 60fps. I even think a lot of people have hard time to stay over 30fps. For me, the most basic and important gameplay mechanic is that the game runs well. If it runs bad and uses only a little bit over 1 core and many mainstream gpus can run it as ultra, something is totally wrong.

I do understand, that having this many players on the field is kind of ground breaking and hard to do, but if they want people to play it now instead of 2015 when there's a change that cpus can run it better, something needs to be done.
Old 2013-05-26, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
TheDrone
Sergeant

But I wouldn't want to be restricted to not playing on another continent because it doesn't have my play type on it. If they want to offer different play types, hex vs. lattice, then just make different servers with those types on them. People who like lattice will play on lattice servers, people who like hexes will play on hex servers. Simples.....
I understand what you're saying. However, servers with both game-types represented would yield many advantages.

What if you want a change of pace? What if you want a different experience? What if you're suffering from fatigue? It's quite unlikely that the average TF2 player would just play, say, Team Deathmatch. In the interest of variety, in the interest of tasting the different approaches to the game one is likely to sooner or later want to play something different.
Or the devs introduced an update which broke one of the two systems.

Well, then you would have your favorite character to play with.
Old 2013-05-26, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Whiteagle
Major

Also, I've already experienced this in-game, people that want smaller battles need to follow behind the larger ones. There's now a need for defense at locations behind the larger fronts. This is because the enemy can work their way behind the large front to the linked location and start taking it, while the larger front is trying to battle their way into the enemies linked location. We need those smaller groups to defend our point behind us while we move forward. I've had to run back to our point behind us a few times today already due to this.
You know what stopping a push by contesting a base behind the enemy's Front means, don't you?

...MORE GAL DROPS!!!
Old 2013-05-26, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

PS2 doesn't have the playerbase needed for servers with different rule sets.
If they were to make use of both the hex system and the lattice system it would have to be on the same server.
I could see them making use of hexes on specific continents or perhaps islands, but for now I would rather have focus on the lattice system.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-26, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
If they were to make use of both the hex system and the lattice system it would have to be on the same server.
I could see them making use of hexes on specific continents or perhaps islands, but for now I would rather have focus on the lattice system.
Indeed, I personally see Hexes as the best system for Intercontinental Oceans, as the free-form style of movement fits better with Naval Warfare.
Old 2013-05-26, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Rolfski
Major

Yesterday, I had an awesome huge infantry shoot-out at the Palisade on Miller, going back and forth for an hour. This a good illustration of the positive impact of the lattice system because before GU09 , you would never see these battles at those outposts.
  • Tutorial
    This is a big one to me as because combined with the lattice system, this has already drastically improved the new player experience. Of course the tutorial needs more lessons but at least you can get around more easily and have less problems in finding a fight as a new player.
  • Price reductions
    This one was long overdue but good it's there anyway. Ridiculous overpriced guns that didn't excel at anything like the T9 Carv-S (called Carv-Shit for a reason) actually make sense now as a cheapo all-rounder.
  • Outpost redesigns
    Improved game flow makes for better fights around outposts. Some cool base designs as well like that Paul Verhoeven Starship Trooper base near Saurva.

Dislikes
  • Mumble crashing the game and overlay not working
    These well known bugs with Mumble should have been fixed by now as outfit comms are superimportant for this game.
  • Biolabs not fun anymore
    Before GU9, biolabs where already destrous for game flow but at least they gave us the much needed infantry fights. Now they have become just impossible stale mates. Probably half of the capture points should be placed outside the dome to compensate for this.
  • Lack of front line redeploy locations
    This is a big one. Fights have definitely become more zergy now so people should be able to redeploy all along the more established front lines to compensate somewhat for this.
  • Secondary objectives are much more needed now
    Give smaller outfits who don't want to participate in the bigger, more focused battles some "spec ops" targets to fight over now.
  • Zealot Maxes replacing the heavy assault class
    This is already a much debated topic. The infinite mobility on this VS Max ability basically created an always useful uber heavy assault class where the NC & TR counterparts are only situational.
  • Lockdown/Zealot Bursters should not be allowed
    They unbalance AA and give NC an unfair disadvantage.
  • Lackluster lockdown animation
    What the heck are these spikes on the TR Maxes for?
  • Indar lag
    Probably not to be avoided with the lattice system but devs should definitely be on top of this.
  • Flash stabilization
    This one is probably my imagination but for some reason my scrapper Flash seems less responsive now.

Originally Posted by Snydenthur View Post
How about making one patch purely for optimization instead of adding more and more stuff to "use" the gained performance?
Devs said they're constantly optimizing with each update but never mention it in the patch notes because they cannot guarantee them impacting each system.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-05-26 at 06:29 PM.
Old 2013-05-26, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Fishy
Private

I really like GU09.
Lattice brought back those big open-field epic battles from PS1 which is great. My only comment would be about the need for various ways to backhack a continent. In PS1 we could capture a cavern, or draw NTU to make a base neutral. It added richness to gameplay, especially for smaller outfits.
Old 2013-05-26, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Crator
Major General

So players are just going to split up to different continents according to what type of game they like playing (hex or lattice)? Or they'll just deal with playing the one they don't like the best cause they have to (squad/outfit is fighting on a specific continent). If a global inter-connected lattice ever makes it into the game (more then 3 continents) that would surely mean no more 3-empire foot-holds, right? If that is true then there's another reason why you might be forced to play on a continent that doesn't have the preferred map type you like.

Perhaps a mix of both types is not worth it? But I'm not certain it would kill the game if people had a choice to play on different servers with the play-style (hex or lattice) that they like. Is population really that bad? And if so, why do we have so many servers currently anyways? Does region specific servers really make that much of a different with lag?

Last edited by Crator; 2013-05-26 at 06:08 PM.
Old 2013-05-26, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Lattice is the best thing that could have ever happend to Planetside 2. Its brilliant, i have no reason to ever leave indar again.
Already taking notes of bases and stuff to figure out a bunch of strategys. You know, ACTUAL strategy, not the hex "LOL LETS GO THERE BECAUSE WHY NOT" shit.

ZOE is also amazing, Max is now my main class. Cant understand te ADAD whiners, have yet to see a warping ZOE, and nobody who whines could ever show a video of a Warping Zoe. Propably simply doesnt exist, and they just need excuses to whine.
If there is a nerf, even tho i dont think its OP, then dont dare to touch the Speed. Nerf the damage, okay, but leave the speed alone.

Lockdown is a problem tho, in combination with Bursters or Fractures. I especially mean the increased Bullet speed. That could proably need a nerf, if not a complete removal. Im perfectly fine with the increased ROF etc, a locked down TR max should be able to defend itself against whatever army comes infront of him, thats the point of the lockdown. Just Fracture AI damage is a bit high.

NC Max Shield needs a buff, plain and simple. Its a good ability only if you go head on against your enemy. If you get flanked, it becomes rather poinless. Suggest the shield gets a big HP buff, as well as allow it to cover the maxes sides, make him attackable only from the back.

SCU changes need to go. Most stupid change ever really. With the Lattice change to sattelites, its kinda hard to take full control of all capture points in a Bio, means you need to be able to kill that SCU. Required Adjacency for Gen killing is also pointless. Just remove the damn XP for Gen destruction already, there shouldnt be a money reward for doing it, but a pure tactical reward (No spawns = no enemys = easy base, maybe).
Old 2013-05-26, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Devs said they're constantly optimizing with each update but never mention it in the patch notes because they cannot guarantee them impacting each system.
Yes, I know. But they have also said that what they achieve with optimization, they fill it out with new stuff. That's why I asked for purely optimization patch. When they achieve a better performance level (I have my doubts to if that's even possible on current generation cpus without changing a lot of code to make the game scale better with amount of cores), then they can start to do the same thing they are doing now.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
UnityVS
Private

This is purley from a VS players perspective

Harasser fixes
new base layouts

Dislikes..

NC max balance, its broken. has been since..well forever

TR max fracture needs balancing against Infantry..

Engineer mana turret. non rendering projectiles still, and it needs to hit for less, this thing hits harder than the Vanu tank main gun

Zoe Module or Fabulous mode as our outfit now calls it , is shit, give us something else..., having played with it loads, those dying from it need to learn to play against it... if you can't hit something that moves the same speed as a heavy assault, go get your eyes tested...

T-ray the Zoe GFX effect is appalling, like camos and lumifier trim is it going to take another attempt to get it right?

Strikers are bugged, shooting through terrain, flares only stoping the first rocket, also reduce its lock on range so aircraft are given a chance

Stealth nerf to the Vortex's

WTF did you do to my Saron.....we are mid-range engagement tank and you've given us a weapon suited for short range engagements

Rant time
As a VS Player I've got to question the Devs on balance, Zoe module as an example is clearly a bad idea pushed through..

Also please no more charge weapons? a charge pistol? do you know how fast the TTK is in this game?

Lumifier trim on Magrider looks shit compared to other factions, its taken you to V2 to get it right, start paying attention please Devs seriously.

Stop adding more content, gun play needs a vast overhaul, MR Jimmy Whiz may want to play Vanu for a week or 2, the TR have the best guns in the game

More detail patch notes, many of us that play the game, notice small changes to weapons just list them

Last edited by UnityVS; 2013-05-26 at 07:50 PM.
Old 2013-05-26, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Mordelicius
Major

It will take some some to fully assess the impact the GU9 changes, but some quick points:

Back Capping - It's sweet that it's hurting the master back cappers. They are so used to circumventing tough bases, instead skirting around and all over. No more! Basically, Is Base X too hard to take? Yes. Go around!

Old Hotspots - The fall of the Crown and Ti Alloys. So far, seems their strategic importance has been curtailed. I actually haven't seen Ti Alloys since GU09. I have been to the Crown once and it was an easy take down. RIP, the king is dead. Long live the king!

(Note: perhaps I jumped the gun on TI, since NC is mostly fighting the TR)

New Hotspots - The rise of new hotsposts like the Howling Pass lane (NS office-Howling-NS Storage-Rashnu; might have have gotten the names wrong) as well as strategic chokepoint like Crimson Tower Bluff (holding 3 links). I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I've noticed so far.

New Tower Design - Generally good cover againsts Tank/Liberator/ESF spammers, except the turret sides are fully exposed making it very difficult to repair during a fight. They need to extend the cover a bit more or shorten the pad. Can no longer shoot out through shields (blue), but it's ok since there are 3 exit floors.

Improved Performance - After the horrific hit registration circa GU06-GU08, performance has improved and hit registration has gotten better. They probably patched the unplayable stuttering when there are a lot of vehicles around since I haven't seen it again since the hotfix. Will keep an eye for that, since when it happens, it's impossible with about 2 second passes and lag spikes.

- NC open-face helmet looks really nice. As others have said in other threads, we need more face options.
- New Camo is hidden and not on any camo section. It can only be found if searched.
- It will take some time to compare the new Max abilities. I have only briefly seen ZOE once since the PTS event, so I'm not sure if they fixed it.
- I'm still not sure what the new SCU mechanic is. All I know is the generator is now gone.
- Trying out the new ADS sensitivity slider. No verdict yet if it helps or hurts hit registration.

Overall, the battle flow has improved considerably. Now they just need to advertise the game more. Hopefully the population will get a pop from these battle improvements.
Old 2013-05-27, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

This following is kinda tied to the update but it did happen before we had the lattice system.
What is becoming more clear to me after the update is that facilities just are not capable of handling the sheer amount of players that the lattice system brings to those places. Not referring to anything performance wise here, just that they are not designed to hold this many players.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Whiteagle
Major

This following is kinda tied to the update but it did happen before we had the lattice system.
What is becoming more clear to me after the update is that facilities just are not capable of handling the sheer amount of players that the lattice system brings to those places. Not referring to anything performance wise here, just that they are not designed to hold this many players.
Well to be fair, it's not like the current Major Facilities are anything more then big set pieces right now...
I mean, think of how much space just goes UNUSED at some of these places, like the upper levels of a Tech Plant or the rear of an Amp Station?
Old 2013-05-27, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
hashish
Sergeant

Really been enjoying the new lattice and MAX changes..

Atleast now us VS have a decent MAX that can hold his own. Its great to see more people using MAX's as before there was actually no point in taking one..

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion