Tunnels wont really fix anything - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It gets the juices flowing.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Re: Tunnels wont really fix anything

Holes in the terrain! YAY! Now this engine only needs to be able to handle liquids and it's on par with the quake 3 engine.

Biting sarcasm aside, that's really a good thing. It's just that with the level of competence shown with the whole "release" thing, i can't help it but to point out that all the flak they got (and will get) when it comes to the engine feels deserved when you go live on a better tech demo.

Edit: Still, credit where credit is due. Tunnels are definetely a step into the right direction.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-01-14 at 06:05 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Archonzero
Sergeant

Tunnels are just a bandaid (as welcome a change as it is) hopefully a temporary bandaid until they do a proper redesign.

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
They need to just put a roof over the courtyard and make it so it's a big infantry battle inside like the Bio-dome.

Sorted.
Yup been calling for this one for a while. Even if they didn't include the underground portion an moved everything into another relevant location, it would be a vast improvement to the capture base mechanic.

Infantry vs infantry, with just enough room for vehicles to drive into the courtyard, an the layout should really hamstring vehicular maneuvering since it should have an urban combat close knit layout. Mainspawn should be attached to the main building, with entry points into it.. as well exits into a series of attached courtyard buildings.

The exact thoughts on why, you've managed to push the defenders into a spawn infantry only scenario.. therefore if you want to lockdown the spawn, it should only be camp able by infantry. This way it's still a fair fight (even though the attackers have the upper hand).

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...4&postcount=22

Last edited by Archonzero; 2013-01-14 at 06:21 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Beerbeer View Post
Wasn't ps1 actually built and developed by Verant Interactive, sort of a wholly owned/absorbed subsidiary?
Verant Interactive was spun off from 989 studios (both of which were wholey owned by SOE) When 989 was moved to focus on Playstation games and Verant was to focus on PC titles.

They've always been SOE companies, just same horse different colour is all.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-01-14 at 06:39 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Valkar
Private

Originally Posted by Beerbeer View Post
I want bases that can be contested to the very end.

I want to feel that adrenaline rush of saving a base in the very last minute. I want to feel that urgency to protect the cap point to the bitter, bitter end. To me, that is fun.

This game lacks this completely. Fix the bases. All of them and no half-measures.
I feel exactly the same. I dont understand why they didnt keep the same method of base design as PS1 with out walls and defenses which when breached would become the attackrs and the defenders would be backed into the base itself with only Max Units and Infantry to hold out.

In these situations the defenders would hold on in hopes of a relief force of friendlies turning up and breaking the siege (you know like in real warfare).

Where right now a base is about to be attacked by a zerg so the defenders redeploy to Warpgate and go and attack somewhere else.

We need Alpha base designs with some PS1 flare, we need a lattice system so we can't just go around the enemy and we need all this pretty soon!
Old 2013-01-14, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Strategy
Private

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
They need to just put a roof over the courtyard and make it so it's a big infantry battle inside like the Bio-dome.

Sorted.
Pretty much this. If, at certain bases, there were shields (maybe similar to the look of the warp gate shields) that could be enabled and disabled inside the base there would be much more variety in gameplay.
Old 2013-01-14, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Be happy they are now able to do tunnels effectively.

We might see different base layouts thanks to those tunnels, places more infantry based and friendly.
Old 2013-01-14, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
EVILoHOMER
Major

You cannot do anything more than put a roof on the bases unless you want to redesign the whole thing. The problem with them is, there are no indoor areas shielded from vehicles like what Planetside had. At best in these bases you'll have like one room, however thing apart from Bio-domes are exposed and even then the Bio-Domes barely have indoor space themselves.
Old 2013-01-14, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm excited they can actually go underground now in the engine. I don't think anyone expects this to be any sort of end all fix though.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-14, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Rothnang
Major

The problem with bases in this game is that its way too easy to get in, and once you're inside any notion of defending the perimeter just goes out the window.

Take the towers for example. Their design is just awful, because defending them by shooting down from the various battlements is completely impossible. The only way to actually defend them is to hold the stairs, and you can't shoot any enemies that have rushed into your hangar from the defensive positions or turrets of the tower.

Basically it rewards people for just making a mad dash into the hangar, with a Sunderer if they have one, and once they are in there the defender has no advantage anymore, it's just a fight in a building, who owns the building is irrelevant.

Last edited by Rothnang; 2013-01-14 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm excited they can actually go underground now in the engine. I don't think anyone expects this to be any sort of end all fix though.
I think the real question should: Why now? Couldn't it before? Why not? If it could, why not implement such designs in the first place?

It's just too strange to see them say tunnels werent support, but you saw Pieces of tunnel in places like Nott Amp Station. This sounded more like a total unwillingness to make places more infantry focused, most probably because defending the places would be far more easy then attacking.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Beerbeer
Major

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
I think the real question should: Why now? Couldn't it before? Why not? If it could, why not implement such designs in the first place?

It's just too strange to see them say tunnels werent support, but you saw Pieces of tunnel in places like Nott Amp Station. This sounded more like a total unwillingness to make places more infantry focused, most probably because defending the places would be far more easy then attacking.
I hope people understand my outright contempt and level of cynicism when we see changes (that are absolutely necessary IMO) implemented now when they should have been added from the very beginning, with many people crying and moaning back in beta to change this.

They need to fix towers and buff outposts as well, now, immediately. Put walls up in towers so tanks cannot shoot in on the capping level.
Old 2013-01-14, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
It's just too strange to see them say tunnels werent support, but you saw Pieces of tunnel in places like Nott Amp Station.
Any tunnels in the game at the minute are just U shaped dips in the terrain with objects placed over the top.

Edit: Anyway, i'm hopeful about this too. This means underground facilities are a possibility, we'll just have to see what they come up with.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-01-14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 2013-01-14, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

if the tunnels work this specific problem out (spawns being farmed by tanks at amp stations and tech plants) they should then put the generators down underground and force infantry to fight over them old school style. keep some control points above ground, but not have it be end all be all of base capping.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-14, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
if the tunnels work this specific problem out (spawns being farmed by tanks at amp stations and tech plants) they should then put the generators down underground and force infantry to fight over them old school style. keep some control points above ground, but not have it be end all be all of base capping.
Yes definitely some of this^
What I want to see is variety between the bases. They can leave some open and then the rest in various defensive situations. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 2013-01-14, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Rothnang
Major

Locking vehicles out of the fight shouldn't be the goal, since that doesn't in any way increase how easy it is to defend something, it's just a cheap way around actually balancing combined arms warfare.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion