continent/landmass size thoughts - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What arsenic in the Terran water supply?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-26, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Re: continent/landmass size thoughts

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I am not familiar with exactly what they do but WW2 OL is one huge continent and people spread out. They might have some kind of maximum spawn per base limit. Personally I have always envisioned an MMOFPS as having a maximum per base spawn limit but that you can always travel from further away to get more people in a battle.
A true mmo fps should only have limits set for the map as a whole. In planetside 1 they are population locks.

The serve the purpose for, server performance and empire balance.

If you make a map that will not allow all the players on the map to gather/spawn in a single area by choice then you have failed to make planetside you have merely made a patchwork quilt map called callofbattleside.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-01, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Shlomoshun
Private

I had a thought on strategy for this game being a 3 sided battle and how the continents are going to be formed. It seems to me the best way to take territory, would be to move around the perimeter of the continents somewhat moreso than going into the middle of the continent.

The middle is always going to be open to a flank or potential loss of supply line by the 3rd faction moving in from the side, while the edges will typically only see the opposing faction coming in from the front. Easier to defend, less potential for facing a 2 on 1 force...

Sure, same could be said for attacking this way being more difficult since you have to come in from the front on them, but I think all things being equal, the more you can prevent having 3 sided battles, the more you can focus your elements on direct confrontation, which should be a more efficient way to gain territory. Let the other two factions split up their forces to fighting over a wide front line of hexes in the middle of the map while you push into them from the outside edges with a more concentrated force.

THoughts?
Old 2012-05-01, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Shlomoshun View Post
I had a thought on strategy for this game being a 3 sided battle and how the continents are going to be formed. It seems to me the best way to take territory, would be to move around the perimeter of the continents somewhat moreso than going into the middle of the continent.

The middle is always going to be open to a flank or potential loss of supply line by the 3rd faction moving in from the side, while the edges will typically only see the opposing faction coming in from the front. Easier to defend, less potential for facing a 2 on 1 force...

Sure, same could be said for attacking this way being more difficult since you have to come in from the front on them, but I think all things being equal, the more you can prevent having 3 sided battles, the more you can focus your elements on direct confrontation, which should be a more efficient way to gain territory. Let the other two factions split up their forces to fighting over a wide front line of hexes in the middle of the map while you push into them from the outside edges with a more concentrated force.

THoughts?
The thing is, you also forget about support from the other continents. Some of the worst mistakes i have seen is when one empire tries this and will get caught off guard from a surprise attack from the rear as the other outfits call in support to prevent losing the base in quest or in this case the hex. At that point you can be SOL depending on how your commanders handle the situation from getting sandwiched by both the opposing force...but i digress......all this talk of war makes me wish i could still play planetside 1 again T_T.
Old 2012-05-02, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Striker KOJ
Private

I haven't kept up with every tidbit of information so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but has it been confirmed that the three available maps are actually continents on a single planet, or are they different planets like they did with the "bending"?
Old 2012-05-02, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Striker KOJ View Post
I haven't kept up with every tidbit of information so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but has it been confirmed that the three available maps are actually continents on a single planet, or are they different planets like they did with the "bending"?
Same planet. No bending allowed, soap is slippery.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion