Mines to explode only when driven over and disarmable - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I see Dev People!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-14, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Mines to explode only when driven over and disarmable

Originally Posted by Striker KOJ View Post
Don't agree with this change in the slightest.

Does the setting of this game even matter anymore? Isn't this some distant planet in the far future inhabited by an advanced human race augmented by technology that provides (near) unlimited energy, and the ability to cheat death by preserving the memories and consciousness of an individual after their body is blown to pieces, transmitting that consciousness Wirelessly to some super computer that can reconstruct the individuals body and download the consciousness into the new body in seconds, plus all of the weapons and vehicles materializing out of thin air.

But these people can't figure out how to make an Anti-Vehicle explosive that detonates by proximity? "Well shit, we named it a mine, so I guess we have to go by the oldest, most narrow definition of this object, because we don't have the intelligence to improvise."

Really?

I'm tired of these steps backward in technology. I understand trying to achieve some sort of "game balance", but doesn't it at least have to make sense in the setting of the game? Should we all be riding in horse-drawn buggies, because 200 years ago there were no motor vehicles? Or have we made some technological strides since then, and have the ability to project what the technology might be like in the future.

This isn't WWII Online, this is the flipping future.

best post of thread
Old 2013-03-14, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

I want there to be a way where you can retrieve tank mines/C4. Like a button you press, that way, if you accidentally click when you have them out (i.e. UBGL has been really screwing my up with my tank mines and when I wanna throw down a turret/ammo), you can still get them back up rather than having to go back to a terminal and resupply.
Old 2013-03-14, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Let us not forget, if the argument for this change is to make it more inline with Planetside 1...

Mines also exploded via proximity in Planetside 1, in addition to being used as defensive area denial.
I wasn't making the argument to put them in line with ps1. Just providing an example of how they can be used defensively. We saw massive mine fields in PS1 which is why I brought it up. Not sure of another game where we have seen this.

Obviously defensive mining would be much different in PS2 as you have less, but more powerful mines that operate slightly different.

Overall point, it would be nice to see them used as a preemptive defense strategy which I think will be good for game play, and a tiny step towards building more of that team/empire based strategic mentality which we eventually saw in PS1.

Just my opinion though.
Old 2013-03-14, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Cupbearer
Private

Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
I wasn't making the argument to put them in line with ps1. Just providing an example of how they can be used defensively. We saw massive mine fields in PS1 which is why I brought it up. Not sure of another game where we have seen this.

Obviously defensive mining would be much different in PS2 as you have less, but more powerful mines that operate slightly different.

Overall point, it would be nice to see them used as a preemptive defense strategy which I think will be good for game play, and a tiny step towards building more of that team/empire based strategic mentality which we eventually saw in PS1.

Just my opinion though.
Um, btw, the sniper is going to disarm all of your mines. Duh!!! one shot to disarm and not even have to worry about them blowing up.
Old 2013-03-14, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Cupbearer View Post
Oh, and BTW, if we are advanced enough players to figure out that the Sundy is the tide changer of the game as a suicide engi then we will just figure out another way to blow them up.
Is that the reason why they are making changes to mines? I thought it was because it was just cheap to be able to throw them on top of things and blow stuff up. But, if that's the main concern all I gots to say about that is "cloak bubble".
Old 2013-03-14, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
o Solei o
Private

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I'm pretty happy about this change as I think the way AT mines can be thrown around at the moment is pretty lame. What do you guys think about it? Is this the end of the suicidal anti-sunderer engie?
You do realize people are just going to replace this with jihad-quads, right? You're not loosing anything with this change.

Also, if you don't like engies dropping mines, take mine-guard. Works wonders.

I really hope that if they make it so that engies can "disarm" them (with something other than the bullets we already use, I presume) that they make it so that we can pick up our own mines to redeploy them. Same goes for C-4.

Personally though, I'd much prefer they start the bug-fixing with actual bugs. Ex: Last night I went to quickly deploy some mines while repeatedly falling back to make my contribution to slowing the zerg's advance and claim the lives of a few kill-farmers. (Always a satisfying experience.) I see someone run by a window and hastily try to set my last mine.... NINE TIMES. Nine times did I click the button, and nine times did the animation play. Yet as if by magic bungie cord, that mine teleported back into my inventory each time. (I'm not sure how many more times this would have happened as I got shot during animation 10.)

If you're going to "fix" things, can we start with the actual bugs please?
Old 2013-03-14, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

I've noticed that reloading is a bit screwy with the latest patch as well. It gets to like 3/5 around the circle then resets. Then goes about 1/4 and then resets. And then boom, you've reloaded.
Old 2013-03-14, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Yes the bug where you can't get rid of the crazyglue covered mines is fun to experience. Happens several times in a play sesssion for me.

'this time' *nope* 'ok this time' *nope* 'dammit this time, before someone comes in' *nope* 'God dammit you mtfu drop to the f'ing ground already' *nope* 'arrghhh!!!! MTFU!!!' *nope* *bang bang*

Old 2013-03-14, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Hi GunmanTheH (and all),

I updated the OP with higby's further comments regarding disarming. They have considered the possibility of engies throwing grenades at their own mines to blow them up - now mines will not explode when you or anyone shoots them. Instead, they will just disappear.

Only engineers will get exp for disarming an enemy mine. Destroying one will get you no xp.

In before ESFs rocketpod the roads ahead of tank columns to minesweep.
Old 2013-03-14, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Great, so instead of having Mineguard as the Meta, Blockade armor is the Meta again.

Literally all they had to fucking do was make a longer AT mine animation. 5 seconds to arm and drop. That way you can't instakill a sundy, or else you die in the explosion of the first mine.

Or they could have made the mines take 30 seconds to arm. If no one spots a mine in 30 seconds, you deserve to get blown the fuck up. Open your bloody eyes. Engineers can still defuse in this scenario

No body will feel like they need to defend the sunderer again. Mines encourage sloppy gameplay, but at least defending a sunderer makes sense. People are just going to abbandon their cert cows again.

Oh well, we get invisible jihad quads now. Can't exactly complain.

Invisible Jihad quads > At mines.

You can't counter it with mineguard.

1) Spawn a flash with cloak and M20 or M40),
2) drop C4 on it,
3) change to infil
4) drive to sundy (while fucking INVISIBLE)
5) Uncloak
6) Unload weapons onto sundy.
7) Bail the fuck out, and grenade your flash. C4 goes boom, and hopefully your flash gun did enough damage so it gets instakilled. Alternatively, drive into sunderer, and shoot M40, causing you, your c4, and the sundy to pop.
But rest assured...
Fucks will be given!
Old 2013-03-15, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Wahooo
Captain

This was the wrong solution to something that wasn't even a problem IMO.

IF sundies were not so readily available 500m from any fight, and IF the attackers didn't already have an advantage in most bases, and IF mine guard wasn't about the cheapest thing to max out (350 certs) then I guess I could see caving into this.

BUT... FFS the people complaining "wah... mines should only explode when you drive over them." Seriously? They have an IFF in them right? why SHOULDN"T they be proximity detonated? Maybe if they simply exploded anytime anything rolled over them.. but that whole line of reasoning is stupid.

Suicidal engineers are an issue? Really? This argument coming from some of the most diehard "K/D doesn't matter" people? Sacrifice yourself for the team. I just don't see the issue.

The ONLY thing I can understand as a change to mines is that they should be placed similar to an ammo pack or turret. Being able to fling them off the second floor of a tower or an amp station wall and what not... I personally don't mind... but think it would be a sensible change.

This other stuff I simply don't get.
Old 2013-03-15, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
zulu
Corporal

Precisely, indeed. I have yet to see anyone present a case for the change that made any sense,
How about the fact that it undermines the purpose of C4? Why cert into C4 when you can go the cheaper route of just taking mines? The potential damage against infantry doesn't really seem to balance that out.

but I guess exploring an issue from more than the perspective of "I don't like it, so change it" isn't a valid, or wanted, argument either. Hence, whatever.
It's completely valid. That's an opinion about aesthetics. But other opinions about aesthetics will be equally valid. It's worthy of discussion, but not really argument.

I also don't believe that just because a developer makes a tweet means it's a good idea.
Who suggested such an idea?
Old 2013-03-15, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by zulu View Post
How about the fact that it undermines the purpose of C4? Why cert into C4 when you can go the cheaper route of just taking mines? The potential damage against infantry doesn't really seem to balance that out.
This is a matter of opinion.

I have 2x C4 certed on my Light Assault. I have 3x AV Mines certed on my Engineer.

I have run into situations where I'm playing my engineer and I think to myself, "Shit, wish I was playing my LA instead so I can C4 that <whatever>".

I can't recall ONE time when I'm playing my LA and I think to myself, "Shit, wish I was playing my Engineer so I can AV Mine that <whatever>".

C4 is MUCH more versatile than an AV mine and can be used by alot more classes. AV mines are only available to the engineer, and using it as improvised C4 against anything but a vehicle is not easy or costs a grenade (so the overall resource cost is larger than C4).

I don't buy into the whole "AV mines undermine C4" argument. It's rubbish.
Old 2013-03-15, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Saintlycow View Post
Literally all they had to fucking do was make a longer AT mine animation. 5 seconds to arm and drop. That way you can't instakill a sundy, or else you die in the explosion of the first mine.

Or they could have made the mines take 30 seconds to arm. If no one spots a mine in 30 seconds, you deserve to get blown the fuck up. Open your bloody eyes. Engineers can still defuse in this scenario
I agree with you that either of these would have been a better solution.
Old 2013-03-15, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
SonofSkz
Private

Its been said before I will say this too. People whining about losing their sunderer? So what? They are without question the hardest vehicle to kill in the game, also if you want to be protected from mines buy a 30 cert mineguard and defend it! I defend bases all damn day from enemy attack, the only way to even slow them is to destroy the sunderers. You know what happens? They flood the area with sunderers. But one sunderer with some mineguard and its so much harder to kill off you want to nerf the few advantages an organised squad has against a sunderer fine but don't think this will balance the game. Defense should be accomplishable with a smaller force against a larger that's what leads to the epic battles that we want to see. Having tank mines be disable able is fine, having to drive directly over them is a bit of a kick in the nuts, I mean i love placing tank mines where the enemy vehicles WILL be is great. But the map is huge there is no way you can predict exactly where they will drive this will make that pointless, plus as it stands most people can only place two that's not really enough to set up any kind of defence. If just tank mines are nerfed as a result of this whining and refusal to adapt to the game I will be seriously disappointed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion