The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: [insert weapon nerf here]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-25, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Re: The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous

oh boy oh boy, my sig sure fits in this thread. Finally yet another chance to shine.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-03-25, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Aurmanite
Captain

Locking continents wasn't fun. This is a myth perpetuated by people who like the concept but aren't actually considering how it played out. It was not fun to stick around for extended periods of time mopping up a mostly empty continent. It was tedious and boring at best.

So many people in this thread are complaining about changes that are being made that they don't like. Which is fine, but the argument that Planetside was a 'gem' because of a small group of players that stuck with it for more than 2 years is a bit of a joke. There are several reasons the game was not very popular, many of which are directly related to things that are being changed #2. Things like continent locks. People that put up with crap in the original because it was A) 2003 and B) the only game in town, aren't going to pay the bills in 2012.

This game is being made for everyone. It is not a project thanking you for playing Planetside. That line of thinking is the worst type of entitled douchebaggery that exists in a lot of Planetside veterans. You are owed nothing for being a long time player. I'm not trying to attack anyone by saying that, but we have to realize that although we are important, we are not as important as we like to think.

Too many of you are unwilling to just wait and see. You have your minds made up that its going wrong and you are only seeing the information that reinforces that decision.

Last edited by Aurmanite; 2012-03-25 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Locking continents wasn't fun. This is a myth perpetuated by people who like the concept but aren't actually considering how it played out. It was not fun to stick around for extended periods of time mopping up a mostly empty continent. It was tedious and boring at best.
This is a population issue of a eight year old game. Not a game play issue.

This game is being made for everyone. It is not a project thanking you for playing Planetside. That line of thinking is the worst type of entitled douchebaggery that exists in a lot of Planetside veterans. You are owed nothing for being a long time player. I'm not trying to attack anyone by saying that, but we have to realize that although we are important, we are not as important as we like to think.

In the end, too many of you are unwilling to just wait and see. You have your minds made up that its going wrong and you are only seeing the information that reinforces that decision.
If your entire company comes out and constantly says "Hey we listen to you, our loyal customers. We want a game that makes our play base happy!" then yes they do have a obligation to listen to us. Who do you think pays their final bill? A magical tooth fairy that drops a load of cash on their door step each day or the hundreds of people that pay his or hers subscription each month?

Either way, a business is suppose to be about their customers. At least that what they say in BUS 101.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.

Last edited by xSquirtle; 2012-03-25 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Stardouser
Colonel

So many people in this thread are complaining about changes that are being made that they don't like. Which is fine, but the argument that Planetside was a 'gem' because of a small group of players that stuck with it for more than 2 years is a bit of a joke. There are several reasons the game was not very popular, many of which are directly related to things that are being changed #2. Things like continent locks. People that put up with crap in the original because it was A) 2003 and B) the only game in town, aren't going to pay the bills in 2012.

Too many of you are unwilling to just wait and see. You have your minds made up that its going wrong and you are only seeing the information that reinforces that decision.
You say "mopping up" isn't fun, but if the game is going to be a constant meatgrind along the front line, I can skip it just like I skip BF3.

Now, I'm not saying I know all the details, I don't. But if there's no behind the lines action, it's all meatgrind with no flanking, no deep strike incursions, again, we already have BF3 for that.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
You say "mopping up" isn't fun, but if the game is going to be a constant meatgrind along the front line, I can skip it just like I skip BF3.

Now, I'm not saying I know all the details, I don't. But if there's no behind the lines action, it's all meatgrind with no flanking, no deep strike incursions, again, we already have BF3 for that.
There were plenty of opportunities for flanking, deep striking, and all sorts of other tactical shit...so long as there were people to play against.

Once it got down to the last 2 or 3 bases and the losing empire decided to go elsewhere all of those awesome gameplay mechanics were gone, replaced by a tedious 30-60 minutes of going through the motions to finish it up. Then, another half hour (or more) for another fight to build up.

Last edited by Aurmanite; 2012-03-25 at 06:05 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Stardouser
Colonel

There were plenty of opportunities for flanking, deep striking, and all sorts of other tactical shit...so long as there were people to play against.

Once it got down to the last 2 or 3 bases and the losing empire decided to go elsewhere all of those awesome gameplay mechanics were gone, replaced by a tedious 30-60 minutes of going through the motions to finish it up. Then, another half hour (or more) for another fight to build up.
Go elsewhere, and so long as there were people to play against, meaning the raped team would go to another server or team? Just curious...I have this vision that people want to completely sterilize of the ability to go behind the lines and attack undefended bases.

But even if that happened, a constant battle where can't get backed up at all isn't good either. Personally, if I assume there are 300 bases(divided by 3 means that if each empire had 33% of the map, they'd have 100 bases), I'd want some kind of balancing factor to kick in once one empire got down to 15, 10 at the least - rather than wait until 2 or 3. But I wonder if some people would not even want to let a team get beaten back to 15 bases, perhaps they wouldn't even want it to go below 50?
Old 2012-03-25, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

We are not as important as we think? I beg to differ. Without us, Planetside 2 will implode in one of the biggest MMO failures in history. Why? Because we are the only crowd that knows how to do an MMOFPS right, because we played the only one for plenty and plenty of years. We know exactly what we hate about planetside, we know exactly what we love about planetside, and we know exactly how those things we hate can become things we love. Why? because we used our heads since 2003 to improve Planetside. We talked about the game, we ranted about the game. We were there, most of us the entire time, and we simply KNOW whats going to happen, because we had Years of hive mind thinking about the stuff.

If all of the vets fade away, Planetside 2 would become a large zergfest without a head. And those tend to destroy themself rather quickly, because random running around and killing stuff isnt fun for very long. This also applys to BF3 and COD.

Actually, lets have a deeper look at that:

These days, any FPS suffers the same. On release, they get buyed and played like crazy, because they are exiting and new. Happens to COD, happens to BF, happens to every FPS.
But after a while, the interrest in a game just drops. People stop playing it, and only a certain crowd remains. while the rest just hops to the next big FPS.

Obviously, Planetside 2 cannot allow that to happen. It needs to keep the regular folks (US) happy, while also keeping a good chunk of the usual game hoppers around. F2P isnt the solution there, take me as example. I own COD MW2, COD MW, Counter-Strike 1.6, Source, Day of Defeat, Quake 3, Tribes Ascend and a whole lot of more games.
I like all those games, played each a ton, but these days i only play Tribes Ascend a bit every now and then, because its fairly new, but i havent touched any other games on the list in AGES. Why? Because they became old, always just rise and repeat, without any meaningful impact, without anything else to do than spawn, kill, die, round win. At some point, it just got boring, and i wanted more, especially because Planetside showed me that there can be more. Planetside delivered that very little thing that changed all FPS games forever for me, and that was the ability to actually Win.
It wasnt actual winning, we could never just End the game, obviously. But the ability to fight for hours, no, DAYS, even WEEKS on a single continent to finally lock it at some point is just extremly important. The feeling you get from this just cant be put in words. It blows my mind thinking about this little small feature of planetside, and how extremly important it is. Having a overall goal that everyone on your side works towards is just the very essence of Planetside, its THE important feature of the game.
Without this very basic ability, it would just be like any other round based FPS, just that the round would never end, because the time limit is set to infinity, and everyone respawns...
Old 2012-03-25, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Ruwyn
Corporal

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Welcome to game industry. Dumbing games since 2000. Get used to it.

They really want to get as many ppl playing as possible as ppl=money. PS didnt have players, COD/BF have plenty. So they have to cut anything thats unfamiliar to that playerbase, to bring them over, dont scare them with hurdles like lattice (i conquered base why i cant hack it?), drivers (my tank, i kill), sanctuaries (what i do here? i want fight) etc.

We all love Planetside but we have finally accept that this game isnt made for us. Our only hope is that there will be tiny bits left from planetside to keep it interesting and fun for us too.
The only thing that turned BF3/COD players away from PS and is now unfamiliar to them is Pay-to-play. It was the biggest reason all those people left. I firmly believe that if you updated PS's engine and graphics and relaunched it pre-Core combat and Biffers, you would have one hell of a following.

Of course the biggest thing wrong with the original was the LOOOOONNNNG ass base hack timer where everyone stood around OSing each other. Reduce that proportionally to the amt of combat going on and you speed up the game. Frankly, that was the ONLY part of the game they needed to Speed Up.

Last edited by Ruwyn; 2012-03-25 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Aurmanite
Captain

Basti, who is 'we'?

There is hardly a consensus among all Planetside veterans.

Instead of "we" you should have said "me"
Old 2012-03-25, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Stardouser
Colonel

Basti, who is 'we'?

I haven't been around long enough to know for sure, but it seems like there isn't a lot of polling. Over at Mordor, through a combination of polling and just plain discussing the issues ad nauseam maximam, we know who the forum majority on all issues is(ie, against 3D spotting and killcam, in favor of squad leader spawning only and against allspawning, etc). While this does not prove anything about the community outside of Mordor, at least it's something.

Maybe you guys need moar polling
Old 2012-03-25, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Basti, who is 'we'?

There is a consensus among most Vets. You can see it in this thread, or the Friendly fire thread, or the Vehicle animation thread, or the Driver = gunner thread.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
There is a consensus among most Vets. You can see it in this thread, or the Friendly fire thread, or the Vehicle animation thread, or the Driver = gunner thread.
Is there a veteran's manifesto that breaks down the vet opinion issue by issue and lists as many issues as possible? I've done one for Mordor for BF3 and I'd love to read a PS1 vet's manifesto to compare.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
This is a population issue of a eight year old game. Not a game play issue.
This was a problem from day one.

If your entire company comes out and constantly says "Hey we listen to you, our loyal customers. We want a game that makes our play base happy!" then yes they do have a obligation to listen to us. Who do you think pays their final bill? A magical tooth fairy that drops a load of cash on their door step each day or the hundreds of people that pay his or hers subscription each month?

Either way, a business is suppose to be about their customers. At least that what they say in BUS 101.
No, BUS 101 says "Business is about making money"
Old 2012-03-25, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Is there a veteran's manifesto that breaks down the vet opinion issue by issue and lists as many issues as possible? I've done one for Mordor for BF3 and I'd love to read a PS1 vet's manifesto to compare.
No, but there will be. I gonna start writing that tommorow.
But first, lots of reading stuff again. Oh well.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by basti View Post
How about the iron sights thread?

Or the vehicle thread on the front page?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion